Author Topic: Leonard Cohen  (Read 2704 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Leonard Cohen
« on: 28 September, 2008, 11:01:02 pm »
My daughters are off to Berlin at great expense next weekend for the express purpose of attending a Leonard Cohen concert. I mentioned that I didn't think I'd ever heard any Leonard Cohen and of course got roundly shouted down by my family. I've just listened to a bit if "Suzanne" from a Youtube clip and I don't think I've ever heard it before.

I mentioned this to my brother this evening and he replied "Ah - Leonard Cohen! Good music to commit suicide to! I can think of some much better reasons to go to Berlin."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Leonard Cohen
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2008, 11:15:59 pm »
I like the fella top music, famous blue raincoat is one of my favourite albums. Though I do understand your brothers comment ;)

Tell your daugther to go and see the richdag (sp?) and the Danish embassy I'm told that they are amazing.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2008, 11:21:25 pm »
Most people would have heard various covers of Hallelujah, Shrek or from some US series etc.

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2008, 04:18:12 am »
I can think of much better ways to spend the money :P

"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2008, 06:41:52 am »
I wouldn't go to Berlin to see him but I love his music. I also understand your brother's comment, it can sound very depressing at times but then aren't some of the best books and films very dark but still very entertaining. Suzanne is a beautiful song.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2008, 08:23:09 am »
Gah! What Philistines I share this forum with: no wonder nobody has ever commented on the quotation below my avatar (of Consul on his trike, if you look closely).

Will he have flown to Berlin direct from <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tFBKV0zVXSE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tFBKV0zVXSE&rel=1</a>?
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2008, 09:16:32 am »
Mrs PB was watching X Factor last night and one of the songs several of the chimps were singing was Hallelujah - I took a very dim view ...

Leonard Cohen is depressing in the same way The Smiths were - only if you don't actually listen to it and trust in second-hand opinions instead.

Having said that, in many cases LC songs are best listened to when covered by someone else! Can I recommend I'm Your Fan - covers by REM, Nick Cave, Lloyd Cole, John Cage etc.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2008, 09:38:21 am »
Not my cup of tea really.  :hand:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2008, 09:46:56 am »
Cohen has written some interesting articles for Tricycle magazine.

No, not the TA newsletter - it's a US buddhist magazine (other contributors have included the Beastie Boys :o (guest edited one edition, IIRC)).
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2008, 12:29:54 pm »
Blimey Wowbagger, how did you get through the 70s without hearing Mr Cohen? I was out of it most of the time but I can still remember the bloody records being played at most parties I went to. Did you take more drugs/drink more booze than me then?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2008, 12:36:34 pm »
*points to icon*
(That is from a little clay festival we encountered at Glasto this year.)

We went to Manchester to see his miserableness earlier this year (Manchester Opera House = lovely and intimate compared to the O2, which was nearer). That evening's probably in my Top Ten of Awesome Ever. I have been slightly obsessed with the man since discovering him during my impressionable teenage years.

He is really very funny, you know.

« Reply #11 on: 29 September, 2008, 12:45:14 pm »
I keep meaning to listen to Leonard Cohen, but I've never got around to him.

What's a good place to start?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2008, 12:49:51 pm »
Arthur Smith ;D
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2008, 01:12:52 pm »
I would have said Tom Waits, but each to their own :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 29 September, 2008, 01:48:31 pm »
Mrs PB was watching X Factor last night and one of the songs several of the chimps were singing was Hallelujah - I took a very dim view ...

Leonard Cohen is depressing in the same way The Smiths were - only if you don't actually listen to it and trust in second-hand opinions instead.

Having said that, in many cases LC songs are best listened to when covered by someone else! Can I recommend I'm Your Fan - covers by REM, Nick Cave, Lloyd Cole, John Cage etc.

Try Jenny (Jennifer Warnes) Sings Lenny "Famous Blue Raincoat".  Like Bob Dylan, Cohen is best sung by someone else.

« Reply #15 on: 29 September, 2008, 02:59:37 pm »

If you're the sort who gets on with compilations, The Essential LC is not too bad an overview of his career, with most of the famous tunes, and at least one or two from most of his albums. [1] Otherwise, I'd probably reckon that Songs of LC, I'm Your Man or Ten New Songs have the best combination of accessible and awesome. They're very different, though.

Like Bob Dylan, Cohen is best sung by someone else.

Heresy!

1. There is nothing from The Bad Album, aka Death of a Ladies Man. Since the most memorable song on this is The Bad Song, aka Don't Go Home With Your Hard-on, I think this omission is probably for the best.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 29 September, 2008, 04:57:47 pm »
Blimey Wowbagger, how did you get through the 70s without hearing Mr Cohen? I was out of it most of the time but I can still remember the bloody records being played at most parties I went to. Did you take more drugs/drink more booze than me then?

I may well have had more booze, but I developed an important skill very early: filtering out anything not worth listening to. Mrs. Wow tells me that LC was played incessantly in the common room at college, but I certainly don't remember any of it. It's the same skill which in recent years has allowed me to block out advertisements. There's little enough space in my head for the stuff that matters without allowing the dross to find its way in.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2008, 04:29:18 am »
Yes, WOW, we elderly have this advantage over the young 'uns :P
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #18 on: 30 September, 2008, 08:28:20 am »
Do you guys mean that you switch the ear piece off?!...  :o <Run>

Mind you, on this one I understand.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #19 on: 30 September, 2008, 12:01:15 pm »

If you're the sort who gets on with compilations, The Essential LC is not too bad an overview of his career, with most of the famous tunes, and at least one or two from most of his albums. [1] Otherwise, I'd probably reckon that Songs of LC, I'm Your Man or Ten New Songs have the best combination of accessible and awesome. They're very different, though.

Like Bob Dylan, Cohen is best sung by someone else.

Heresy!

1. There is nothing from The Bad Album, aka Death of a Ladies Man. Since the most memorable song on this is The Bad Song, aka Don't Go Home With Your Hard-on, I think this omission is probably for the best.

Thanks, Marna.  I'll look out for those.  I was half-expecting someone to tell me "You need everything"  ::-)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20 on: 30 September, 2008, 01:08:09 pm »
Arthur Smith ;D

"Arthur Smith Sings Leonard Cohen" was rebroadcast on BBC7 recently.  An absolutely brilliant peice of entertainment.  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: