Author Topic: Little Britain USA ?  (Read 2605 times)

Si

Little Britain USA ?
« on: 06 October, 2008, 10:59:50 am »
Seems to be sort of like the original UK version of Little Britain, but without the humor ?

(apart from Tom Baker of course, whose small contributions are still class)

Really Ancien

Re: Little Britain USA ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2008, 11:03:58 am »
Seems to be sort of like the original UK version of Little Britain, but without the humor ?

(apart from Tom Baker of course, whose small contributions are still class)

What humour?

Damon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2008, 11:34:44 am »
If you're gonna sell out, go do it properly.

Course it was better on the radio...
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 06 October, 2008, 11:40:34 am »
Flogging a dead horse now I'm afraid.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2008, 12:51:12 pm »
I liked the voiceover at the beginning - "America has more obese people than people." The rest of it was - well, enough now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2008, 12:51:52 pm »
The opion has been voiced that it was deeply untrendy to point out that Little Britain was crap, but Little Britain USA gives those who were formerly afraid to say so some welcome ammunition.  Matt Lucas: you are not funny.  You were not funny in "Shooting Stars" and you have remained unfunny ever since.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Si

« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2008, 02:15:33 pm »
I did find much of the original series funny, guess everyone has differing tastes.  But the new one...nope.

Much like Paul and Harry (or is it Harry and Paul?).  Paul Whitehouse: major part of The Fast Show- I found hilarious. Harry Enield, back in the Loadsa Money/Stavros days - great, even some of the later stuff (Wayne and Wayetta, "English for aliens", etc) I found good.  But their new show...painful.

Yep, thee is always the cliche of "I liked their earlier stuff", but I have to say that some cliches are based on reality.

I 'spose that it's a good thing that some shows (The Mary Whitehouse Experience springs to mind) quit while they were ahead.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2008, 02:22:05 pm »
I caught both the new Paul & Harry show and Little Britain USA last week.  I didn't find either of them funny.  I'm usually quite easily amused so they must have been bad. 

« Reply #8 on: 06 October, 2008, 03:00:28 pm »
Oh come on the Polish girls in the coffee shop are a work of genius. The two surgeons are pretty good too.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 06 October, 2008, 03:08:31 pm »
I haven't seen any of the new series of Harry & Paul, but the Polish girls is an essay in tragi-comedy.  Not since Ted & Ralph...
Getting there...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #10 on: 06 October, 2008, 03:14:10 pm »
Little Britain has always been nasty, and is frequently racist. The Ting-Tong sketches in particular are some of the most disgusting things that have disgraceful television since the dark days of the 1970s. But apparently, 'orientals' are still fair game... 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 06 October, 2008, 03:16:42 pm »
The casual racism was unpleasant, but there have always been flashes of genius, particularly in the wordplay, which is why I liked it on the radio.
Getting there...

Really Ancien

« Reply #12 on: 06 October, 2008, 03:30:04 pm »
A lot of Katherine Tate's stuff leaves me as cold as Little Britain, but as a member of a carrot haired family I do like this,
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bUhLIjlTNSk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bUhLIjlTNSk&rel=1</a>
 Scousers and Redheads are fair game too, where would comedy be without them.

Damon.

« Reply #13 on: 06 October, 2008, 03:43:04 pm »
Mitchell & Webb are the only thing I find consistently funny at the moment, although they repeated one yesterday that was a lot darker.

I like Little Britain, but that's mainly for Lou and Andy.

Everything else is pretty much gross out comedy, but nothing on the scale of Borat the Movie, which although I thought was genius, I can't bring myself to watch it again.

« Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2008, 03:53:32 pm »
I also like the surgeons, and the learned builders, in Harry and Paul, but the material always relies on Paul Whitehouse's far superior talents.  'The Surgeons' is a particularly good example of that.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 06 October, 2008, 05:42:02 pm »
I never understand these programmes. They seem to consist of the same joke over and over in slightly different circumstances, before arriving at some catchphrase which will then be used throughout the land to annoy me on the basis that (a) I won't initially get the reference and (b) it's even less funny when delivered second hand.

Of course, I'm a non-smiley-using gripeweasel.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #16 on: 06 October, 2008, 06:52:39 pm »

I like Little Britain, but that's mainly for Lou and Andy.

I found out recently that the Lou and Andy characters developed from Walliams & Lucas's Rock Profiles spoofs. You're watching Lou Reed and Andy Warhol there.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 06 October, 2008, 07:53:25 pm »
Little Britain had enough material for about 6 episodes. A lot was Tom Baker.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #18 on: 07 October, 2008, 11:28:58 pm »
Harry Enfield doing Tony Blair's first day at work in the merchant bank was a pretty good sketch.

Si

« Reply #19 on: 08 October, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
The hoo-har about the Harry and Paul racism thing is interesting: when I saw a rerun of the sketch it was my believe that it was most offensive to rich, posh southerners, whom it was having a go at by claiming that they treated others like slaves.  Yet we have the Philippines embassy going ballistic about the maid, some claiming it's sexist (although it felt that it treated the northern man no differently, or perhaps worse, than the woman?) and everyone else going mad on behalf of the northerner (apart from northerners who don't seem that bothered).
Funnny old world ennit.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 08 October, 2008, 03:07:21 pm »
I think much the same way having heard a summary of the sketch.  Maybe the reaction unearths the guilty secret thinking of the rich, posh southerner? ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 08 October, 2008, 05:00:34 pm »
I've seen some of the northerner sketches. His rich, posh, southern 'keepers' come across much worse than the northerner. And I felt really bad for the northerner in the sketch where they take the family photo, it was rather tragic the way Paul Whitehouse played him!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 08 October, 2008, 05:01:36 pm »
Paul Whitehouse playing a northerner?

Oh bugger!
Getting there...

« Reply #23 on: 08 October, 2008, 05:03:16 pm »
Trust me, he had the audience on the northerner's side in that particular sketch!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 08 October, 2008, 05:05:45 pm »
tis a reference to a Fast Show character ;)
Getting there...