Author Topic: Taking a tour around Das Boot  (Read 740 times)

goatpebble

Taking a tour around Das Boot
« on: 13 October, 2008, 08:22:33 pm »
So you go to the studios, and prepare to take an adventure, but first you have to get on a little train, crowded with adolescent kids. You are sleekly clad in black Assos lycra, because you are on a cycle tour, and there you are, with your knees trying not to touch the six foot teenager in front of you, crammed into the stupid little tour train.

The guide tells us all about the sets for some awful soap. My friend is feeling very embarassed, because it was his idea. This is the most famous film studio in Germany, and we are hoping for more than just a tour for soap fans!

So we get to the reconstructed bits of the set of Das Boot. There are silly props everywhere, with plastic vegetables in every corner. I create a disturbance by playing with artificial potatoes.

The submarine is odd, and my friend and I share a conversation about real submarines. But the sort of psuedo set is interesting.

We escape on our bikes as quickly as possible, and cycle through a wealthy suburb, out to the countryside.

I want to tell my friend about Eddie Izzard, but the translation will probably go very wrong...

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Taking a tour around Das Boot
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2008, 08:39:54 pm »
Studios are places where the quickness of the hand is there to deceive the eye, and the sets never really look right - the perspective is all designed around lens angles and eyelines, and that fourth wall only goes in when you shoot from the other side...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

ChrisO

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2008, 05:21:51 pm »
I am involved in planning a large media development and the people behind it keep talking about having public spaces and allowing people to see into studios.

We had to be very blunt with them and tell them that studios are just big boring sheds. In fact unlike sheds they have big open boring spaces where 98% of the time nothing happens.

One of my colleagues used to work for a large mouse and when they did the same thing and included a tour of a working studio there were complaints that nothing happened. So they started scripting things to happen in the studio to give the impression that it was vaguely interesting.

It's like going to a welding factory and expecting to get an impression of cycling.

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2008, 07:16:14 pm »
I'd be interested to see the submarine set; wasn't it actuall built in the right shape, rather than being open set to allow easy filming?