Author Topic: AUK Finances and Website Project was: AUK Chairman Statement  (Read 119386 times)

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
Re: New audax.uk site
« Reply #525 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:28:24 pm »
Until you realise that instead all the perms being on one page, you have to guess which one of the 36 pages the perm your looking for is on.

And since I'm a "W" then my Cambridge perms are aaaaaallll the f!cking way down at the end!! FFS — this new site is going to absolutely crucify the number of "ooh that looks nice" speculative entries I get, because users have got to work so damn' hard to find them!

Was it not supposed to be easier to navigate though?
If one of the criteria to entice was to make the website easier to use, I don't understand how 36pages is easier than one?
And be thankful, it's not an "L". Wow, you'd be stuck on, page [just checking.....] ;)

And what about HTTPS?  Does nobody on "the web team" understand what that is and what it means with respect to Google searches?! 

And what it means with respect to the rather punitive GDPR?!

Punitive restrictions. They are everywhere nowadays. I'm sure won't be able to edit posts soon enough.
Rule 77

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #526 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:30:29 pm »
I never look at perms, but having read that and looked, I see 22 pages. I don't know it's 22 for me and 36 for someone else. Screen size?
Calendar events are listed chronologically over several pages on both audax.uk and aukweb.net. You get fewer on a page with the new site partly, it seems, because each entry is listed with a little more information (actual distance, AAA points and whether you can enter by Paypal) in the listings and partly because the font is significantly larger.  Arguably the "view event" button at the end of each line is a waste of space as opposed to just clicking the event. The map view should be more useful than the old "sort by region" simply because the regions were so large as to be meaningless (and some of the placenames rather obscure) but it might have been nice to carry the colour coding for distance over to the map pins too.
Overall though the thing looks much more "open" than the old site.

It's the higher figure on my iPad. I agree with your figures on the laptop.
Distance, AAA and PayPal are all visible on the old site.
Not immediately. For instance the first event I see is:
Fri 23 Nov 2018
300kmMoonrakers & Sunseekers from Easton, Bristol
on the old site, but:
Fri 23 Nov 2018   Easton, Bristol   300km (306km)   Moonrakers & Sunseekers   2300m   0   22:00   £13.50   Will Pomeroy   
on the new site.
Place names haven't changed as far as I'm aware. Great Bromley is still near Colchester, Kings Worthy is still near Winchester.
I hope AUK hasn't gone round changing place names. It would make a mess of route sheets! But the map allows you to see geographically where rides start from without having to know names like Great Bromley or Kings Worthy. 
On the old page, you can choose to have up to 2years of events. Much more convenient.
Yes, that could be handy.
I assume this feature would have pushed us over budget though.

Oh wait......

As you can tell, I'm a fan.
I think budget discussion is elsewhere. I'm looking at the site trying not to think about how much it cost.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #527 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:34:58 pm »
I'm looking at the site trying not to think about how much it cost.

Me too.
Rule 77

« Reply #528 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:48:34 pm »
But the map allows you to see geographically where rides start from without having to know names like Great Bromley or Kings Worthy. 

A map view split over 13 pages  ::-) yes, that works  :facepalm:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

bairn again

« Reply #529 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:15:44 pm »
The IT experts (the ones that did nothing to help but know everything thats wrong and how to fix it) will be along soon. 

<goes to get popcorn>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #530 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:33:51 pm »
The map pages seem to be chronological, like the list, though it's not explicit.

« Reply #531 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:39:11 pm »
Your need a large bucket of popcorn  :demon:

« Reply #532 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:51:38 pm »
I notice the login credentials of Aukweb do not work for me on the new audax.uk site login. Maybe a teasing issue? Resetting just redirects back the forgotten password on Aukweb.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #533 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:54:09 pm »

Ugh. Nnnnngh

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #534 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:57:38 pm »
Code: [Select]
Page 1 of 13 (311 event(s) found)
                       ^^^

Uuurgh.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #535 on: 20 November, 2018, 06:57:07 am »
The photo on the main page is very inspiring, but lacks pixels and as a result looks unprofessional. Isn't there a photo with more resolution around?

Using "farther" rather than "further" is a choice of words from the editorial team, on balance I would have used the more common word. The Twitter feed is a nice addition and overall the site looks OK.
The event pages need work, they look a bit dull at the moment and not much of an upgrade over the older audax.net pages

« Reply #536 on: 20 November, 2018, 07:02:57 am »
Calendar page is poorer. Much harder to look ahead and plan.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #537 on: 20 November, 2018, 07:24:02 am »
I notice the login credentials of Aukweb do not work for me on the new audax.uk site login. Maybe a teasing issue? Resetting just redirects back the forgotten password on Aukweb.
Thanks for raising that...

There is a small difference between the authentication on the new site and the old. The old site will accept either your original system generated password (the one with random letters and numbers) OR any new password you created for yourself. However the new site will only accept your new password if you have set one (which is how most systems would work). So if you are having problems logging on the likely reason is that at some point you set yourself a password but forgot about it and are still using your original system password (we discovered this when the communications director could not log on!). The remedy is to logon to Aukweb, reset your password and then use that.

We will get a message put on both websites to inform people of this.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #538 on: 20 November, 2018, 07:25:26 am »
And I went looking for my own results — it wasn't all that obvious where they'd got to, and the sorting order leaves a LOT to be desired with ECEs separated from events on busy days — did nobody on the team think to ask Francis what the sort order should be and WHY?!!
Can you send me a screen shot please - then we can log this properly as something to check out and if necessary raise with the supplier.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #539 on: 20 November, 2018, 07:27:08 am »
And what about HTTPS?  Does nobody on "the web team" understand what that is and what it means with respect to Google searches?! 

And what it means with respect to the rather punitive GDPR?!

This is a very temporary situation - the project manager has this in hand. He hoped it would be sorted last week but it should be done this week. We thought it was better to put it live than keep it back for another week.

« Reply #540 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:04:35 am »
Removal of the cookie notice would be appreciated - cookie law got relaxed years ago just stick a link in the footer.

Site looks great though :)

Just logged in and looked at the Event section under Members... so so much better. Great work.
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #541 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:08:04 am »
I dig the site. Big improvement. Already starting to plan my 2019 rides.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #542 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:14:01 am »
The old site shouted ‘function’.

This one shouts ‘Committee’. (Like the footer, which is traditionally links only, this has paragraphs too. It is weird)

Hopefully some design expertise and content editing are to happen and this is just a sneak preview of an alpha site.

It is simpler than it looks.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #543 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:14:04 am »
.... and now people start to realise how much IT (good functioning and robust) costs. It looks like a good start, but there is a long way to go, and then there will be the site maintenance costs.

I fear that AUK will struggle to fund a site meets the very demanding requirements of the membership and will have to make some hard decisions.

BB

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #544 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:15:32 am »
Dashboard observations:

1. Missing :hover state for Caret at right under "My Upcoming Calendar Events"

2. Missing :hover state for Caret at left under "My Completed Events This Season" for individual Event rows

3. Still a lot of work to optimize both tables for mobile devices (reduce font size) - applying the 'table-responsive' Class to the <table> element would help as well as it's currently impossible to scroll left/right.

4. Provisionally completed events are not indicated in any way as being as such.

+ It would be helpful if the "My Upcoming Calendar Events" accordion was already open on visiting the Dashboard page.

+ Again under "My Upcoming Calendar Events" I see the Status column, clearly both original tables have been joined, great - however it would be useful to have a checkbox to Hide/Show the "Maybes".

+ Ideally it would useful to be able to click anywhere on a row to have it collapse or alternatively align the row Carets to the Right underneath the parent Caret.

+ I'd like to be able to Sort the rows by Date, Distance and Climb and Status.

----

A couple of my rides have the Red Alert symbol showing against them they have had their AAA-rating adjusted - this is a great addition - a ride on Dec 1 now has points I can claim I never knew about.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #545 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:19:40 am »
So is this one now defunct?

http://www.aukweb.net/

« Reply #546 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:20:42 am »
On Calendar Events under Advanced Search I can now filter out events that do not support PayPal - nice work!

Works in Permanent Events too; bonus, might encourage a few dinosaurs to join the information super highway.

« Reply #547 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:33:41 am »

It says In Development on the new website; so No not yet.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #548 on: 20 November, 2018, 09:17:31 am »

It says In Development on the new website; so No not yet.

The all "organiser" part of it is on the old site, so it better still work, or no event will take place...  :P

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #549 on: 20 November, 2018, 09:29:28 am »
The site must be displaying differently to different people (which itself might indicate something not quite right?). I'm not seeing a cookie notice nor a paragraphed footer (though the footer is rather large and grey).

Good point someone raised up there^ about it being not at all obvious where to find your own results. The My Audax button could perhaps be made a bit more prominent, in colour, position, shape or similar?

PayPal is something people love to complain about – seeing it listed on the events page does show that the vast majority of events do take paypal. I can only see 3 on the first three pages that don't.