Author Topic: Cable routing for front brake  (Read 1312 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Cable routing for front brake
« on: 14 June, 2020, 08:48:05 pm »
Stem-mounted brake hanger, flat bar lever.  Lever cable outlet is at a similar height (horizontally) to the hanger, so the cable can't take the shortest route - the curves would be too tight.  Under then back over the stem?  Any fancy noodles or rollers that might help?  It's a centre pull brake and an uphanger wouldn't really work as it uses the brake hole.

On MTBs we used to have stems with integral cable stops and/or guides for this sort of thing, but V-brakes killed them off.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Cable routing for front brake
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2020, 08:54:21 pm »
An aluminium derailleur or brake roller might help. Sort of like http://www.bikerecyclery.com/nib-nos-avid-rollamajig-derailleur-shift-enhancer-grey/
Otherwise a flexible brake noodle might be worthwhile. I’ve done both in the past.

A headset cable stop that drops below the headset certainly would. Sort of like https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/diacompe-1252-front-brake-cable-hanger-1-inch/

I would run the brake cable in front of the stem, then over the bar and down to the cable stop. Kind of like https://www.cxmagazine.com/review-wabi-thunder-steel-singlespeed-cyclocross-bike/13 but a bit neater.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2020, 09:13:20 pm »
That's the cable hanger I'm using.  However, flat bar levers (which are generally angled down by about 60 degrees) put the cable much lower than dropped bars.  Also, these are 500mm bars so the levers are fairly close to the stem.  It'll have to go under and back over the stem, I think, but I'll look at rear mech rollers and noodles.  An old Kona Velocity 1" stem would be functionally perfect but look naff on a road bike.  And most are at least 130mm.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2020, 09:20:27 pm »
If you were a lot taller, the problem would be a lot easier to solve.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2020, 09:49:53 pm »
Swap the centre-pull calliper for a side-pull?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2020, 10:45:20 pm »
Or mini v.

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2020, 10:59:40 pm »
I used to have that sort of set-up about 45 years ago but I must have had a bit more space because I just ran the cable straight into the hanger. It made for an incredibly short cable run. The brake lever had the handle to the outside so the cable was very nearly over the stem and the basic cable direction was backwards.
I have been known to drill a suitable hole in a stem before now. It doesn't need to be a very big hole, 2mm or 2.5mm with a little counter drilling for the ferrule. Needs a solid alloy stem, not a hollow steel one. I've never broken a stem!

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2020, 12:30:58 am »
an uphanger might work for you, if it were modified to be thinner at the brake centrebolt and had triangulated brackets to the brake arm pivots?

Also some cable hangers have a kind of angled entry noodle built in, this kind of thing....

the one above doesn't exactly convince me (the bend looks too sharp for my liking) but there are others.

cheers

rogerzilla

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2020, 03:17:33 pm »
One of those will do it, thanks.  I found a silver one to match.  There is oodles of steerer to play with, luclily - those alloy hangers are much thicker than the Dia-Compe steel one.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2020, 04:04:33 pm »

Is this Stackoverflow?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2020, 12:42:31 am »

Is this Stackoverflow?

*snork*