Author Topic: Europe City Navigator Maps - DVD or SD?  (Read 3545 times)

Europe City Navigator Maps - DVD or SD?
« on: 30 April, 2012, 11:09:29 pm »
What are pros and cons of buying DVD version of City Navigator maps over SD version for Etrex 30?

Believe this was discussed in the past, but can't find it using the Search button.

--
Bryn

Martin

Re: Europe City Navigator Maps - DVD or SD?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2012, 11:12:50 pm »
AIUI you can download the DVD maps onto the SD card (wot I did) but not vice versa; I think the card is to be able to use the device as a stand alone from a 'pooter

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2012, 11:25:01 pm »
With the DVD version, it includes an unlock code so it will work with only one Garmin device. And won't work if you load it onto any other devices (without hacking...).

With the SD card version, it is locked to the card. So it will work in any Garmin you put the card in, but won't work if you copy it onto another card. So you can't make a backup of it (at least without hacking...).
And you can't combine the SD card with other maps on the same card, eg contours or OSM. But with the Etrex 30 you could put the contours/OSM maps in the Etrex internal memory, plus use City Nav on the card.

Also, with the DVD version, you are able to install the maps in MapSource or BaseCamp, so you plot routes etc on your PC. You can't do this with the SD card version. But BaseCamp will read the maps from the SD card while the Etrex is plugged into the PC.

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2012, 02:42:39 pm »
With the SD card version, it is locked to the card. So it will work in any Garmin you put the card in, but won't work if you copy it onto another card. So you can't make a backup of it (at least without hacking...).
You can make a backup, but it only works when restored onto the same card.
The backup is useful if you manage to blat the card when clearing out old track logs or attempting to add custom points of interest or whatever.
I wouldn't deliberately erase the maps, just in case the theory is wrong.

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2012, 07:58:16 pm »
Ok thanks, so looks as if DVD would be prefereable for me.

Any idea how much space the Euro maps take up once they are transferred from DVD onto the Etrex30 internal SD card?

--
bryn

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2012, 08:18:53 pm »
CN Europe 2012.40 ( the most current ) ( all of it ) will generate a mapset IMG file of 2.5GB.
If you select only UK + Ireland tiles in mapsource, that will build a mapset which is about 220MB.

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2012, 11:15:22 pm »
Thanks Feanor.

Any suggestions for a supplier?  Lots of suppliers are selling the 2011 DVDs or else simply not specifiying the production date at all.  Since I would have to pay (I presume) to update an older version to current data, I would rather be sure I am getting the current version from the outset.

--
Bryn

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:11:32 pm »
As an update to my previous message, I see from the Garmin site that the latest version is now 2013.10 dated May 2012.  It seems the only way to get the latest is through Garmin at their rather high prices.  No way of telling if there are significant changes, or just the odd extra layby in outer Anatolia :)

I'm becoming more drawn to the SD solution, especially since seeing the message stating maps could be seen on the PC if the Etrex were plugged in.

So folks, any recommendations on suppliers?
--
Bryn

plum

« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:22:52 pm »
Watch out for eBay, it's a matter of ease to put a crack version of the map onto a DVD or card and send it out as original so ask questions before you buy from there.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:40:45 pm »
It's great to combine City Navigator with OSM and contours; it's worth paying extra for a DVD version.  I got a good price on one from an eBay trader.  It seemed genuine, judging from the packaging etc.  You should be ok with a business seller with good feedback and no dodgy vibes.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #10 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:49:31 pm »
Thanks Feanor.

Any suggestions for a supplier?  Lots of suppliers are selling the 2011 DVDs or else simply not specifiying the production date at all.  Since I would have to pay (I presume) to update an older version to current data, I would rather be sure I am getting the current version from the outset.

--
Bryn

I could well be wrong, but I thought part of the point of the DVD version was that you *did* get updates (whilst locked to a particular device), whereas for the sdcard you didn't but it was portable between devices (but not cloneable..officially).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »
The Garmin DVD I bought a couple of years ago: if I remember rightly, I got one free update, then had to pay for further updates.

Hopefully Garmin and/or the dealer have details on their websites.  Also check what you can download direct from Garmin.

When ordering, a map version number may be mentioned instead of a date.  You can find out what number means what date.  Ask the dealer if they don't mention it in the description.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:58:20 pm »
Whilst you can read the SD card version on the computer for use with something like basecamp, it is pretty slow.
My preferred option is the DVD version and then you can use it quickly on the PC, and copy it to your device at will. Of course this does limit you to one device, unless you use an unlocking utility to open up the files. Being able to put the contours on is good - the information that I really wanted from the topo mapping (being able to see if the current climb flattens after the next bend or goes up/down vertically), but without the onscreen clutter.

I paid for the lifetime mapping updates a couple of years ago (about £50 IIRC to buy a code from a dealer to enable it), so get access to all the latest maps. To be honest, if they are a year or two out of date it doesn't usually matter - you may be missing the odd new mini-roundabout. Obviously any major new roads will be missing, and it took quite a while for the mapping to catch up with the new road layout of M4 J11 near me.

I've found handtec to generally be pretty good on Garmin pricing and reliable.

« Reply #13 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »

I could well be wrong, but I thought part of the point of the DVD version was that you *did* get updates (whilst locked to a particular device), whereas for the sdcard you didn't but it was portable between devices (but not cloneable..officially).

From the Garmin site shop page on "which version is best for me" under DVD/CD it says:-
"City Navigator maps in this format can be updated by purchasing a map update, when available." so it doesn't look as if you do. 

They must do a special deal somehow when they sell car GPSrs with "lifetime map updates".

-
Bryn

« Reply #14 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »
Yes - as I said above, if it doesn't come with your GPS you can buy lifetime updates for about £50. They are tied into a single GPS though - so if your registered unit dies you cannot download the updates. The updater insists on your GPS being connected to the computer before it will allow a download to commence. Once it has verified your unit you can choose to download just to the GPS (as many car unit owners would want), to your computer (after which you can load the maps onto your GPS whenever you want to) or both.

Feanor

« Reply #15 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »
The 2013.10 update adds the M74 extension around Glasgow, which was urgently required for car use in that area.

« Reply #16 on: 04 May, 2012, 04:49:28 pm »
The 2013.10 update adds the M74 extension around Glasgow, which was urgently required for car use in that area.

Hmmm, about as useful as an Anatolian layby for me :)    Do Garmin publish a list of changes in each version, and if so, where?  This would be useful when chosing which version to buy as the only way to get a fully up to date version seems to be to go direct to (expensive) Garmin.

--
Bryn

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 04 May, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »
A lot of the changes are always going to be more subtle things such as updated phone numbers embedded in POIs such as restaurants.

And generally improved coverage around the edges, eg Eastern Europe.

The two Garmin map DVDs I've bought both included a single free update to the next version, as part of the package.  Of course that's no reason not to insist on the latest version whatever it is.  Anyway, that was a while ago - maybe it no longer applies. 
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Feanor

« Reply #18 on: 04 May, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »
A lot of the changes are always going to be more subtle things such as updated phone numbers embedded in POIs such as restaurants.

And generally improved coverage around the edges, eg Eastern Europe.

Yes, and I can generally do without updated in those cases.
Where they are important is when there's a major change in the road layout.

For example, the M74 extension at Glasgow.
Also, 2013.10 includes the A3 Hindhead Tunnel.
And possibly other new roads, I don't know.

From a cyclist's PoV, these are probably not important anyway.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #19 on: 05 May, 2012, 09:36:27 am »
As a cyclist, new M-way or trunk road construction doesn't interest me much, except where it puts cuts into the existing lanes network.  OSM maps are in some ways better for this sort of thing, and I sometimes download a tile or twoif I'm visiting a new area.  Can't be doing with huge country-wide map downloads though.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll