Author Topic: RRty November recommendations  (Read 2299 times)

RRty November recommendations
« on: 08 October, 2017, 04:09:18 pm »
Looking for a flattish 200km event to do as a permanent DIY from home (Cotswolds) in November. Would have done the Upper Thames but we're away that weekend so was thinking of one of Stephen Poulton's perms or a Black Sheep event, To Hay in a Day sounds appealing.

Any recommendations for a relatively easy ride?

whosatthewheel

Re: RRty November recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2017, 04:16:59 pm »
you can plot your own route and use it as DIY... doesn't have to be a perm.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2017, 04:19:33 pm »
As above, plot route on Ride With GPS, enter as DIY by GPS.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2017, 05:15:01 pm »
If youre handy for Cheltenham, check out Steve Poultons perms. The Malvern Elgar Dean is a fine ride.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2017, 05:20:06 pm »
I have a very easy DIY (to Oxford) from south of Stroud that I used in my RRTY.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2017, 05:37:37 pm »
So it really is as easy as that? Plot a route, submit it to the regional DIY "organiser", ride it, submit GPS file?

I am aware of thishttp://www.aukweb.net/diy/routes/ but need time to read it thoroughly.

TBH I quite fancied doing one of the "established rides" but plotting my own sounds good too.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2017, 05:54:12 pm »
So it really is as easy as that? Plot a route, submit it to the regional DIY "organiser", ride it, submit GPS file?

I am aware of thishttp://www.aukweb.net/diy/routes/ but need time to read it thoroughly.

TBH I quite fancied doing one of the "established rides" but plotting my own sounds good too.

As easy as that. Plot, pay and submit the online form, ride and then submit the GPX track file... that's it

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2017, 06:13:45 pm »
Exactly the same position I was in when DIY by GPS came in. Then I spent many hours mucking about on computers with routes trying to get the distance right, not too much and certainly not too little, plus decent places to rest and eat, trying to get quiet roads, not too many hills, etc etc.
Then I realised it was a lot easier to bung a few quid in the post to El Supremo and ride something someone else worked out years ago. And once I found something I liked I did it the other way round. And in different weather - it always felt different. We're lucky here in the south-east - we also have the Grimpeur du Sud rides and the Fairies' events.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2017, 06:19:01 pm »
Ah I see, so I need to be here

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/routes/mandatoryprocss/

and

https://www.aukweb.net/forms/entryformdiym.php

Correct. The process is pretty straightforward, and it opens up lots of opportunities, particularly during the winter months when there are fewer calendar events.

Martin is right about lots of opportunities in the south east. The calendar events can be ECE'd, but that is a whole other option.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2017, 06:59:04 pm »
If western Cotswolds you could use my 200 and Severn.  I designed that to be as flat as possible (a challenge on its own living in the FoD) for riding last November.  It's not direct enough between controls to be a regular DIY as I was seeking the quietest roads so it has to be done as a mandatory route.  I even have a route sheet for it.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #11 on: 08 October, 2017, 07:18:33 pm »
If western Cotswolds you could use my 200 and Severn.  I designed that to be as flat as possible (a challenge on its own living in the FoD) for riding last November.  It's not direct enough between controls to be a regular DIY as I was seeking the quietest roads so it has to be done as a mandatory route.  I even have a route sheet for it.

That looks perfect tbh. It goes right past my workplace so I could park and use the facilities when I'm done.

Thanks for posting that and to all the other replies.

** EDIT - If I want to use your route do I have to pay you (as if it was a listed pern) and can I tweek it? This situation seems to be a mix of a permanent and DIY.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #12 on: 08 October, 2017, 11:13:37 pm »
If I want to use your route do I have to pay you (as if it was a listed perm) and can I tweek it?
IMHO the legal auk position is No, you don't, cos it's a route you have worked out yourself.
IMHO the moral position is Yes, I ought to send a cheque to the originator 'cos it's their work - and we're talking a few quid here, maybe the price of a cup of tea.
My recollection is that years ago I sent a cheque to the originator of much of a route I used but it was never cashed.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:17:09 am »
If I want to use your route do I have to pay you (as if it was a listed perm) and can I tweek it?
IMHO the legal auk position is No, you don't, cos it's a route you have worked out yourself.
IMHO the moral position is Yes, I ought to send a cheque to the originator 'cos it's their work - and we're talking a few quid here, maybe the price of a cup of tea.
My recollection is that years ago I sent a cheque to the originator of much of a route I used but it was never cashed.

Looks to me as though that's a DIY route though, so even if you adopt it wholesale and use the original reference number, you're paying your local DIY organiser for validation and there's no formal mechanism for rewarding the original author.

I suspect that, should you bump into him on a ride, then buying him a pint or standing him breakfast would ensure that honour was satisfied.

« Reply #14 on: 09 October, 2017, 07:58:16 am »
If you want a flat event and not a 'flattish' event you could take the boat to Hoek van Holland and do the Maasland 200 on the 4th of september.

« Reply #15 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:57:39 am »
Assuming you mean 4th November, original poster is away that weekend, else he'd be riding my Upper Thames!

hillbilly

« Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2017, 11:27:34 am »
In addition to what others have suggested, cast your eye at Pat Hurt's perms.  In particular the Poor Student, which is a January calendar event and so designed with short days/inclement weather in mind.  Marlborough Connection also used to be a calendar event (it ran in February around a decade ago) and is also recommended.

« Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:25:19 pm »
Yes have seen both of those, was planning PS for my January event.

« Reply #18 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:52:25 pm »
oxoneil: just replied to your email.

« Reply #19 on: 09 October, 2017, 03:21:22 pm »
You may be able to modify this route  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25086915 to start near your house.
I drew it drawing on bits and piece of various audax routes.Rode it as a mandatory route DIY a few months back   

Only real climb is from Chepstow to St Briavels but that's not steep .

« Reply #20 on: 09 October, 2017, 05:24:18 pm »
You may be able to modify this route  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25086915 to start near your house.
I drew it drawing on bits and piece of various audax routes.Rode it as a mandatory route DIY a few months back   

Only real climb is from Chepstow to St Briavels but that's not steep .

Now that is flat!!! Thank you.

« Reply #21 on: 10 October, 2017, 07:40:46 am »
Assuming you mean 4th November, original poster is away that weekend, else he'd be riding my Upper Thames!

Indeed, 4th of november. So a popular saturday for events ;).