Author Topic: DIY Audax South West  (Read 1118 times)

DIY Audax South West
« on: 07 October, 2017, 12:08:01 pm »
May someone send me a link to the DIY discussion on here. I’ve read the one on the AUK site but was looking for more reference. Had a play with the forms and I can’t quite work out how to say I’m DIYing the Tasty Cheddar for example and if my South West organiser (Tony Hull) takes PayPal or not. I like the idea of virtual brevets over printed cards. Do you agree?

Sorry: I use Tapatalk and the search function doesn’t work.

I missed out on a couple of rides I really wanted to do due to illness and thought I could do them as a DIY.

I will try out a couple of perm DIYs first before I try any from my front door.

Re: DIY Audax South West
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »
There are quite a few discussions on here which relate in some way(s) to DIYs, but they might well not cover the points you need. So here are some pointers:

The DIY Orgs (including me!) certainly take PayPal, see https://www.aukweb.net/forms/diycards.php

If you want to use the route of "Tasty Cheddar" as a DIY:
It would be proper/polite to mention to the Organiser of the Calendar Event that you hope to do so; perhaps you entered the event but were not able to ride it (today).
You will need to go through DIY entry procedure, I'm afraid that (as you suspect) you can't just say "doing the Tasty Cheddar 100". There's a lot of information on the AUK site about ways of entering DIYs, all likely to be helpful but, as you've noticed, it can seem daunting at first. It sounds as if you will prefer the "Mandatory Route" option - it does have plenty of advantages - so, on the entry form, use the "File Upload" to put your file in (.gpx of Tasty Cheddar, or your own version of it starting from home perhaps), and list some controls somewhere on the route - "about every 50 to 80 km" it says, so you need only one intermediate control on a 100, as well as start and finish.

Email me about stuff you'd like clarifying, and/or (and probably better) put in an entry, even if still feeling daunted, and I'll let you know if it needs adjusting.

« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2017, 02:37:10 pm »
Thank you very much Tony. I had read every piece of info on the AUK site EXCEPT the mandatory clause. It does make more sense.

Using Tasty Cheddar as an example: At a later stage I would need to contact Joe Prosser and say I was riding his route? I have the GPX to follow from doing it last year.And I have it this year as I had entered but couldn’t ride. Does contacting the organiser count for every time I want to ride a route that I have the GPX file for? Say for example I wanted to ride a previous event again? (And have the files saved in the email I received from the organiser)

Sorry for the inane questions. I’m sure once I’ve done it once I’ll be away and will become low-maintenance.

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2017, 04:18:16 pm »
You don't actually need to contact Joe, it's just a courtesy (I don't know how much it actually happens) to acknowledge use of his route and work.

No inanity in your questions!
Asking questions often saves time for both rider and org.
And yes, the entry process etc does soon look much more straightforward. Fortunately!

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2017, 04:55:21 pm »
Thank you Tony. Once fully mended I’m sure I will be in touch with an entry. You have been warned.

I met a couple of Bridport club members on the Dartmoor Ghost who spoke very highly of you (they know who they are) so I’m sure I’m in good hands.

Thank you again.

« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2017, 03:16:50 pm »
Hi HC  DIY process seems daunting at first ,once you have done a couple you realise its quite simple really.

Tony is patient with beginners , even slow learners like me ;D

I plot routes on "map my ride with GPS "  save route on my desktop to submit on the entry. Record ride and upload to "Map my ride with GPS"
Enter it on the form and Tony does the rest. if your files are too big you may need to simplify or Zip them first.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2017, 03:49:25 pm »
A big thumbs up from me to Tony for his role as DIY organiser, which audaxing so much more accessible to all who want it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.