Author Topic: Brompton Headset Replacement.  (Read 3796 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Brompton Headset Replacement.
« on: 20 March, 2018, 10:39:43 pm »

I'm gonna need to replace the headset on my Brompton. It's an M6R from 2007, I've bought the replacement headset pack, but am wondering if anyone has any advice on what tools I need to do this?

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Brompton Headset Replacement.
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2018, 12:50:06 am »
Correct size spanner - don't know which but Brompton are buggers for using unique parts so it wouldn't surprise me if it was unique. A long drift or headset cup remover. Punch to remove the crown race or a specific tool. Hammer. Crown race setting tool. Headset press.

Like Raleigh Grifters, Bromptons suffer from flaring in the head tube with the lower cup working loose eventually. IIRC Rogerzilla once suggested a way to tighten the head tube if it's enlarged using a dot punch.

HTH
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2018, 09:00:31 am »
It's 36mm, so standard enough.

It's essentially a standard external cup threaded headset like you find on most steel bikes, so needs exactly the same tools and any advice you can google/youtube/sheldon will apply.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2018, 07:12:57 pm »
Quote from: Torslanda link=topic=107268.msg2269341#msg2269341
Bromptons suffer from flaring in the head tube with the lower cup working loose eventually. IIRC Rogerzilla once suggested a way to tighten the head tube if it's enlarged using a dot punch.

HTH
I used a über-strong grade of Loctite in the end.  If you want some I have an unopened tube.  A Coke can shim doesn't work (it is great for ISO frame - Raleigh or JIS cup conversions, though) because a stretched head tube is no longer round - it ovalises F/R.

If the head tube is well faced, a Tange Falcon cartridge bearing headset would be a better replacement.  It's light and immune to "indexing".  Very low stack height of 34mm, and you can grab a little more room by buying a 0.5mm spacing washer to replace the rather thick stock one.  I've just put one on a '92 Kona.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.