Author Topic: [HAMR] Publicity  (Read 65612 times)

TGS

Re: Publicity
« Reply #225 on: 18 February, 2015, 07:15:55 pm »
I'd be up for filming him for a day. Although Exit Stage Left is the film man OTP.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. I can't understand why he isn't all over the news. We should lobby the press. I've just sent this to C4 news

Quote from: TGS
Good Evening

on New Years Eve, if I recall correctly, you ran a story about Steve Abraham from Milton Keynes and his attempt to break Tommy Godwin's 1939 record for the most miles cycled in a year. This is an inspirational story that deserves regular coverage.

Up until last night, 17th Feb, Steve was over 1600 miles ahead of where Tommy was on the same date in 1939, and also ahead of his own target, having covered over 9000 miles (yes 9000!) so far since new year's day. On a Bike.

May I suggest that this is worth a weekly, 30 second (minimum), "how far has Steve gone" spot on C4 news?

​Thanks for your consideration​

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #226 on: 18 February, 2015, 07:38:05 pm »
The Portsmouth News have agreed to cover his visit to Hummers Holt.  :thumbsup:

H

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #227 on: 18 February, 2015, 08:05:16 pm »
Just a thought.

Later on when the media start to take a serious interest in Steve's ride they will probably film him riding. By then it will hopefully be lovely summer days and give no indication of the conditions that Steve faced in these early months.

Would it be an idea for someone to film a typical current day - up in the dark, riding into the sunset and then more hours in the dark - to be  given to the media production so that it represents the true magnitude of the ride.
Good idea ... but bear in mind that dark in Feb looks exactly like dark in July on telly.

Some snow footage would be ideal! (Not sure I should cross my fingers for more snow this year ...  :-\  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #228 on: 18 February, 2015, 09:40:22 pm »
I'd be up for filming him for a day. Although Exit Stage Left is the film man OTP.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. I can't understand why he isn't all over the news. We should lobby the press. I've just sent this to C4 news

Quote from: TGS
Good Evening

on New Years Eve, if I recall correctly, you ran a story about Steve Abraham from Milton Keynes and his attempt to break Tommy Godwin's 1939 record for the most miles cycled in a year. This is an inspirational story that deserves regular coverage.

Up until last night, 17th Feb, Steve was over 1600 miles ahead of where Tommy was on the same date in 1939, and also ahead of his own target, having covered over 9000 miles (yes 9000!) so far since new year's day. On a Bike.

May I suggest that this is worth a weekly, 30 second (minimum), "how far has Steve gone" spot on C4 news?

​Thanks for your consideration​

Tell them he's running for UKIP.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

red marley

« Reply #229 on: 18 February, 2015, 09:51:16 pm »
Just a thought.

Later on when the media start to take a serious interest in Steve's ride they will probably film him riding. By then it will hopefully be lovely summer days and give no indication of the conditions that Steve faced in these early months.

Would it be an idea for someone to film a typical current day - up in the dark, riding into the sunset and then more hours in the dark - to be  given to the media production so that it represents the true magnitude of the ride.
Good idea ... but bear in mind that dark in Feb looks exactly like dark in July on telly.

Some snow footage would be ideal! (Not sure I should cross my fingers for more snow this year ...  :-\  )

And when things get really interesting, it will be winter again.

« Reply #230 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:49:26 pm »
Dunno what's more gruelling.
Riding in the cold wrapped in jerseys, or carrying a gallon of fluid on a blazing hot day???

« Reply #231 on: 19 February, 2015, 01:26:20 pm »
The one you're currently doing is always much more gruelling!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #232 on: 19 February, 2015, 05:22:28 pm »
I wonder if Premier Inn, has been approached for sponsorship of Steve -  all you can eat breakfasts etc?  That would be pretty good...  :)

Steve's Feb 14 post.  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=88252.msg1813419#msg1813419

What about JD Wetherspoon.
I sent this to their Customer Relations Dept.

Dear Sirs
You may not be aware that one of our AudaxUK cyclists, Steven Abraham, is 6weeks into an attempt at the World Record for cycling in a calendar year. The record of 75,065miles was set in 1939 by Tommy Godwin. Steven is ahead of Tommy’s schedule. If you go to Steven’s website “oneyeartimetrial”, all will be explained. Fundamentally, Steven, having given up his job, is relying on sponsorship; many have supported with equipment and donations. Within AudaxUK, many of his cycling friends have set up Standing Orders to help fund his year.
Within cycling, I and many Audax colleagues regularly use JD Wetherspoon as a source of excellent well-priced sustenance. Steven is aware of many branches and I know he is using them to fuel his journey. As a further means of sponsorship, we are invited to meet Steven en route and ‘buy’ his food. Of course that relies on knowing where he is routed and catching him – not an easy task, although his live tracker helps.
Steven is at a point in his attempt when the media is beginning to appreciate his determination. As a favourite eating venue, I was wondering if Wetherspoon’s would consider supporting/sponsoring Steven. The publicity payback would be considerable and I can assure you that AudaxUK riders would provide continuing custom, in recognition of your support of Steven.
I ask that you contact Steven’s support team should you wish to help in this endeavour.
Regards
Stephen Poulton, Cheltenham, Tel No

Perhaps they never sent it to the MD.

Anyone with a better input to JDW. Worth a serious punt?

SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #233 on: 19 February, 2015, 05:52:21 pm »
"PS. Don't tell the UMCA." ?   ;D

:thumbsup:

« Reply #234 on: 20 February, 2015, 02:14:48 am »
I wonder if Premier Inn, has been approached for sponsorship of Steve -  all you can eat breakfasts etc?  That would be pretty good...  :)

Steve's Feb 14 post.  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=88252.msg1813419#msg1813419

What about JD Wetherspoon.
I sent this to their Customer Relations Dept.

Dear Sirs
You may not be aware that one of our AudaxUK cyclists, Steven Abraham, is 6weeks into an attempt at the World Record for cycling in a calendar year. The record of 75,065miles was set in 1939 by Tommy Godwin. Steven is ahead of Tommy’s schedule. If you go to Steven’s website “oneyeartimetrial”, all will be explained. Fundamentally, Steven, having given up his job, is relying on sponsorship; many have supported with equipment and donations. Within AudaxUK, many of his cycling friends have set up Standing Orders to help fund his year.
Within cycling, I and many Audax colleagues regularly use JD Wetherspoon as a source of excellent well-priced sustenance. Steven is aware of many branches and I know he is using them to fuel his journey. As a further means of sponsorship, we are invited to meet Steven en route and ‘buy’ his food. Of course that relies on knowing where he is routed and catching him – not an easy task, although his live tracker helps.
Steven is at a point in his attempt when the media is beginning to appreciate his determination. As a favourite eating venue, I was wondering if Wetherspoon’s would consider supporting/sponsoring Steven. The publicity payback would be considerable and I can assure you that AudaxUK riders would provide continuing custom, in recognition of your support of Steven.
I ask that you contact Steven’s support team should you wish to help in this endeavour.
Regards
Stephen Poulton, Cheltenham, Tel No

Perhaps they never sent it to the MD.

Anyone with a better input to JDW. Worth a serious punt?

Your communication should be passed on, but the guy you need to contact is Eddie Gershon.

He's done the publicity for 'spoons since Tim Martin started the business.

http://www.eddiegershon.com/

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #235 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:33:33 am »
See 236 Above: Just re-directed to Eddie Gerston:
Eddie Gershon

I have been given your address as a possible means of alerting the JD Wetherspoon organisation of a cycling challenge that might appeal to them as an opportunity for sponsorship and publicity. I wrote this to the Customer Services section of the JDW website and wonder if my request for it to be forwarded to the MD was understood and acted upon. My interest in this is to ensure that Steven, having committed himself to this massive undertaking, receives whatever assistance he can in his bid. In 50 days to 19 Feb Steven has achieved 9393 miles. I attach pics of Steve I took on 1 Jan in Bicester. I release my copyright of these images if used to support sponsorship for Steven.

Addressed to be forwarded to the MD JD Wetherspoon: As 236 above.

Might work?
SteveP

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #236 on: 20 February, 2015, 11:15:49 am »
Tbh, it's a bit wordy. You want to get to the point quicker, viz: "Hi Eddie, can I interest you in a great PR opportunity for Wetherspoons? My friend Steve is attempting to cycle over 80,000 miles in 2015 and has already covered nearly 10,000 miles since the 1st of January, often stopping en route at Wetherspoons pubs for your excellent value lunches. He has given up his job and his life savings to make this attempt, so any support he receives is very gratefully received. With that in mind, would you be interested in sponsoring him? Steve has a following of thousands on social media - not just fellow cyclists - so it would be great publicity for you. More info at oneyeartimetrial.org. Yours etc." Also the stuff about releasing copyright of your pictures sounds a bit pompous.

In any case, it might be more effective to let Steve's official team handle PR. They seem to know what they're doing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #238 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:44:56 pm »
Looking at how Road.cc is going about it, it seems that they like the HAMR story as it's attracting comments on their page and facebook page. There was a story, then a story about the comments on this story.
To attract publicity we may have to look at black arts of social media manipulation, anyone puts a story on the web, everyone pile on and leave good comments, resulting in more coverage...

It's going to be based on stuff like sharing articles on facebook, retweeting and commenting.

« Reply #239 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:28:00 pm »
Steve is piling on the Strava followers.  He's just reached 13000, which is now more than Alex Dowsett of Movistar team & winner of TT championships.   :thumbsup:

Go Steve!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #240 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:46:35 pm »
Tbh, it's a bit wordy. You want to get to the point quicker, viz: "Hi Eddie, can I interest you in a great PR opportunity for Wetherspoons? My friend Steve is attempting to cycle over 80,000 miles in 2015 and has already covered nearly 10,000 miles since the 1st of January, often stopping en route at Wetherspoons pubs for your excellent value lunches. He has given up his job and his life savings to make this attempt, so any support he receives is very gratefully received. With that in mind, would you be interested in sponsoring him? Steve has a following of thousands on social media - not just fellow cyclists - so it would be great publicity for you. More info at oneyeartimetrial.org. Yours etc." Also the stuff about releasing copyright of your pictures sounds a bit pompous.

In any case, it might be more effective to let Steve's official team handle PR. They seem to know what they're doing.

Can only apologise for being a bit too starchy - must be my military staff training and writing myriad staff letters. That said, I have had an immediate and +ve reply from EddieG, who advises he does freelance work for JDW. He will forward (probably has by now!) my notes to the appropriate 'higher exec' within JDW. Watch this space!
SteveP

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #241 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:03:06 pm »
Looking at how Road.cc is going about it, it seems that they like the HAMR story as it's attracting comments on their page and facebook page. There was a story, then a story about the comments on this story.
To attract publicity we may have to look at black arts of social media manipulation, anyone puts a story on the web, everyone pile on and leave good comments, resulting in more coverage...

It's going to be based on stuff like sharing articles on facebook, retweeting and commenting.
I think that depends on what sort of publicity you want,  and why you want it.
The above suggests an approach that only cares about clicks. How do Ch4 News items,  Guardian and Telegraph columns count on that measure?

If all you want is coverage, you could get Steve to shove Sportive riders into ditches. Or trail a burning Stars-n-Stripes behind him.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #242 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:12:00 pm »
What you need is people to send in stories. People that know journalists should court them.

Remember that this becomes a more interesting story as either the year end and/or the previous total being beaten is reached.

I'm telling most people I know about the attempt and a number of them now watch his progress on his web page. That effect will grow over the year too.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #243 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:16:14 pm »
Can only apologise...

Absolutely nothing to apologise for! My comments were meant constructively so I hope that's how they came across. In any case, if you've already had a positive response, job done. Good work!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #244 on: 20 February, 2015, 07:18:09 pm »
I know they look at the stats regarding most shared, and most commented on articles, when looking at follow up stories. If you look at article on Steve in the Guardian, it's been shared 2780 times, far more than any other article in the cycling section.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #245 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:17:04 pm »
Can only apologise...

Absolutely nothing to apologise for! My comments were meant constructively so I hope that's how they came across. In any case, if you've already had a positive response, job done. Good work!

They were; just a different style. What matters is that we are all thinking of Steve's welfare and helping in any way we see suits the occasion. Even remotely, I feel part of Steve's TeamAUK. Once the public appreciates what is happening !!!!!!!, they will all be jumping on the bandwagon. Note, Raleigh only came to help TommyG in May39 and then gained ALL the credit.
SteveP

« Reply #246 on: 27 February, 2015, 09:19:30 am »
I am not a member of Steve's support team, apart from a bit of financial support, so I am not aware of how much publicity is desired.   But I suggest that support from the general cycling community would be a good thing, to this end has any consideration been given to producing posters/flyers to be distributed in local cycle shops.   There is a big upsurge in cycling in this area, West Yorkshire, but I would imagine that the majority of these "new" cyclists are not aware of this historic effort.

« Reply #247 on: 02 March, 2015, 08:24:37 am »
Steve was mentioned both on the Spokesmen podcast and Jack's Bicycle Show, where he asked Michael Hutchinson what he thought about his efforts (suitably impressed). No mention of Kurt.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #248 on: 02 March, 2015, 11:37:20 am »
I am not a member of Steve's support team, apart from a bit of financial support, so I am not aware of how much publicity is desired.   But I suggest that support from the general cycling community would be a good thing, to this end has any consideration been given to producing posters/flyers to be distributed in local cycle shops.   There is a big upsurge in cycling in this area, West Yorkshire, but I would imagine that the majority of these "new" cyclists are not aware of this historic effort.

I think the snag here is that the team are all volunteers -- most of them with jobs  -- so they do have time constraints -- at the moment we are not desperate to raise more financial support ( although support from those who are already aware of the immense effort that Steve is making is always welcome) - so reaching all these "new" cyclists may well not achieve much in terms of helping Steve.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #249 on: 06 March, 2015, 02:36:47 pm »
FWIW... the media coverage has a challenge in that in order to cover the story, journalists like to find a new angle on it.  The Guardian piece was excellent and said much that was to be said about Steve's understated modesty and character.  That means that few journalists will want to repeat or rewrite the same story.

We could follow MattC's very feasible idea of Steve becoming an avenging angel visiting suffering on a segment of the population (I vote for people who snuffle on trains) or doing something to vary the rhythm of what he is doing.  But the question to ask is what purpose you want publicity to serve. 

Naturally this is Steve's call.

If it's about raising awareness of long distance riding perhaps we could get bike shops to arrange a ride with Steve for their locals or some such.  Perhaps, as Steve gets further into the ride, there's a strong regional story in here as well...

As someone who worked in PR in the past I would be inclined to ask the sponsors what they are hoping to put into the pot.  Raleigh's PR agency should be delighted to have an opportunity like this to work on for example. 

However, it takes time and effort to set this stuff up and, as I see it, the volunteers around Steve are flat out keeping him on the road...

Liam