Author Topic: [HAMR] IronOx  (Read 26930 times)

simonp

Re: IronOx
« Reply #50 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:41:56 am »
I don't approve of the derogatory names people are calling him.

Just saying.

Well said.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:44:50 am »
True.  Respect for any of the people attempting this record.  All cyclists, and all giving of their best.  I expect Steve himself has a lot of respect for them, as he knows exactly what they are putting themselves through.
Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #52 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:07:15 am »
I prefer Tintin as his nickname. So far, HK is outstripping his mileage despite doing very little riding, other than commuting to her full time job.

I take the view that Tintin is not displaying the level of commitment and consistency needed to attempt this particular record. You don't get respect for saying you are going to target something and not backing it up. You get respect for actually doing something substantial towards achieving that target.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #53 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:10:48 am »
I prefer Tintin as his nickname. So far, HK is outstripping his mileage despite doing very little riding, other than commuting to her full time job.

I take the view that Tintin is not displaying the level of commitment and consistency needed to attempt this particular record. You don't get respect for saying you are going to target something and not backing it up. You get respect for actually doing something substantial towards achieving that target.

+1 to above. It`s becoming a disgraceful show by him, and thoroughly detracts from whatever ability he has
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #54 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:15:51 am »
If I enter my local 10 mile TT it will be won by a 20 or 21 minute time. I'd be happy to do evens at the moment. There is an amateur record to be considered, and he has said that he's just doing the UMCA event.
It's interesting to consider at what point a full-time attempt technically becomes work.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #55 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:25:37 am »
A TT done close to your limit may be respectable and, done at evens or better, is respectable. A TT done at conversational pace, not so much.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #56 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:28:49 am »
True.  Respect for any of the people attempting this record.  All cyclists, and all giving of their best.  I expect Steve himself has a lot of respect for them, as he knows exactly what they are putting themselves through.

Exactly.

Anyone would be impressed by what they are doing on a daily basis I think, non-cyclists and cyclists alike.  However I think it's the long-distance cycling brigade (I include myself in that) that truly appreciate the scale of the challenge.

The daily mileage required is the same as cycling from central London to central Manchester, every day.  Ponder on that.  Set you alarm for 5am and set off for Manchester...repeat 365 times.

Several of us on the forum HAVE cycled those sort of daily mileages but I reckon 4 or 5 days was our limit (PBP/LEL).

What Steve (and the others) is attempting is almost exactly 100 Paris-Brest-Paris rides back to back.

Let's ponder on that a while.  100 PBPs back to back !!! That sounds a lot now I write it down.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #57 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:38:00 am »
And how many PBP equivalents has Tintin covered this year? Commuter cyclists are covering more distance than he is.

« Reply #58 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:46:52 am »
I can't see any point in getting stoppy about IronOx, personally. I would just forget about him unless he puts in some amazing catching up effort. I suspect he's actually someone who would love to try for this record but doesn't actually have the time and resources. Keep an eye on Tarzan instead!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #59 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:54:30 am »
Respect where respect is due. Kurt and Steve are putting in the miles needed.

« Reply #60 on: 15 January, 2015, 03:16:18 pm »
Respect where respect is due. Kurt and Steve are putting in the miles needed.

Here here!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #61 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:24:36 pm »
He's moving, but he forgot to turn his tracker off when he transferred across the country and there's some very strange things going on with his tracker now. ???

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #62 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:55:10 pm »
We don't really know anything about him. His web page says next to nothing. There's a suggestion that he has trouble after frostbite. Who knows? When the weather warms up he might start churning out 250 mile days for weeks on end. Any deficit he's built up in the first two or three weeks will soon go.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #63 on: 16 January, 2015, 07:41:06 am »
When the weather warms up he might start churning out 250 mile days for weeks on end. Any deficit he's built up in the first two or three weeks will soon go.

But when the weather warms up Steve and Tarzan will also be churning out 250+ mile days for weeks on end.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #64 on: 16 January, 2015, 01:42:58 pm »
I can't really take him seriously.  He's done just over 400 miles in the time that Steve has done over 2700 miles.  The last few days for William Pruett have been between 20 and 30 miles, averaging about the same as my commuting distances.

It's easy to say that he'll catch up, but unless his weather conditions have been utterly atrocious, he can't afford to not cycle significant distances every day.  The fact that he is doing some mileage suggests that it's not the weather that is limiting him.  It's not the time to being taking it easy, you need to build up a substantial excess to allow for unforeseen events.

It really doesn't look like a genuine attempt.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #65 on: 16 January, 2015, 02:01:01 pm »
  It's not the time to being taking it easy, you need to build up a substantial excess to allow for unforeseen events.

Maybe the "unforeseen events" are going on right now.  The excess will have to be done later.

I've not given up on him - yet, but I'm surprised that he hasn't commented on why his progress is so paltry.
(I'm assuming he hasn't commented - if he had, I'm sure someone would have mentioned it by now)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #66 on: 16 January, 2015, 04:21:30 pm »
WP now seems to have moved west and is near San Diego. Better temperatures might improve his distance.

hillbilly

« Reply #67 on: 17 January, 2015, 10:48:27 pm »
Still nothing from this chap.  Feels like he's given up, as his table scraps are just that without the first s and last s.  Strangely disappointing.

paul851

« Reply #68 on: 17 January, 2015, 10:52:52 pm »
He's saying work and weather getting in the way at the moment and that their are more miles to come on Strava comments .

« Reply #69 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:53:14 am »
  It's not the time to being taking it easy, you need to build up a substantial excess to allow for unforeseen events.
Maybe the "unforeseen events" are going on right now.  The excess will have to be done later. ...

Two weeks of unforeseen events?  That's 4% of your time, and an awful lot of effort to catch up with.

Weather isn't exactly an unforeseen event, most of the world's weather is more predictable than it is for the British Isles, and I'm not aware of any long duration of unusually bad weather in the USA, so that would suggest either bad planning, or creative excuse making.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #70 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:57:46 am »
... or a crisis, and/or much soul-searching. I hope he's ok.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #71 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:00:45 pm »
The tracker wossname seems to think he's decamped to southern California where it is pleasantly warm.  Still no big distances though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

paul851

« Reply #72 on: 18 January, 2015, 03:29:51 pm »
Most of his rides there appear to centre around the United States Olympic training centre so it maybe work related ? as he has said that he would be attempting the record around work commitments .

Paul

hillbilly

« Reply #73 on: 18 January, 2015, 03:37:21 pm »
That he hasn't put down a ride of more than 50km does make me wonder what motivated him to enter this race this year.  I am sure there are other challenges that fit better around a busy work/life, or other times in life when he might be able to put in a consistent effort.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:53:05 pm »
He's made it quite clear that he just plans to ride as much as he can around other life stuff. This includes a proper job. reading between the lines,  this is a PR exercise ( IIRC he works as a personaltrainer or similar?)

Hence the phrase "table scraps".

I think its crystal clear he has NO hopes of challenging the big two, or Godwin's figure. Its more like setting a personal best for 365 days,  with much added publicity.

Period.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles