Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 18th  (Read 17775 times)

Re: Jan 18th
« Reply #25 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:33:54 am »
Is the Punchbowl a Wetherspoons by any chance.... ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:38:05 am »
No photos, no photos!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:46:33 am »
Up and cycling again.

About 140 miles to go which, at his pace, is about nine hours.

Looks like he's aiming for a sensible finishing time of around 8pm.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #28 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:49:57 am »
I understand Steve considered studded tyres, but rejected them because they would slow progress too much.

Three wheels would be a better option, in that sense, but that either means darkside (for which he isn't adapted) or requires crazy cornering skills lest he fall off without the aid of ice.

An ICE VTX would certainly be my preferred option for these conditions.  Not so much if it snows.

His route so far today has been:

Ride to the A167
A167
A19
A61
A59

I think we can guess his ice strategy.

[...and he's leaving York on the A19.  There's a surprise.]

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:58:10 am »
Bugger, he passed here this morning and I missed him! Note to self, take more notice of what is going on! To be honest, though I thought he might not venture north until later in the year.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #30 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:01:52 am »
or requires crazy cornering skills lest he fall off without the aid of ice.
The cornering skills are what makes it so much fun.  Realistically a trike is out of the question because it is 10 to 15% slower than an equivalent bicycle.

« Reply #31 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:19:43 am »
Bugger, he passed here this morning and I missed him! Note to self, take more notice of what is going on! To be honest, though I thought he might not venture north until later in the year.

I thought of nipping out last night, but I was busy by the time he got up here, and this morning it looks as though he came up to Blands Corner, about three miles away. I was still tucked up in my cosy, cosy bed.

The interesting bit about today is that it looks as though he rode along the A168 between Thirsk and Boroughbridge. Now, I wouldn't fancy riding that - but he could have just ridden straight down the A19 to York, so it looks like an extra loop :o

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #32 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:32:58 am »
Yeah, I thought that too.

Here's one of TG with Hoppo and (presumably) one of Hoppo's mates this morning.

« Reply #33 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:34:11 am »
Looks a bit like a Richmond CC top at the back. Is that Hoppo's club?

« Reply #34 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:46:46 am »
On Camblesforth straight now, heading for the old Goole Vermuyden CC 10 course. Flat and fast roads around there.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #35 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:47:41 am »
I believe Hoppo's mate is known as Quads of War ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #36 on: 18 January, 2015, 11:49:57 am »
Last I saw, Hoppo was riding for API Metrow.  He's been through various teams but I don't know who he rides with for fun.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #37 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:15:48 pm »
Steve always stops for a second breakfast, is he a hobbit?

..........and he seems to have the determination and strength of character to take his quest to the fires of Mordor!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 18 January, 2015, 01:52:01 pm »
or requires crazy cornering skills lest he fall off without the aid of ice.
The cornering skills are what makes it so much fun.  Realistically a trike is out of the question because it is 10 to 15% slower than an equivalent bicycle.

Indeed, though a trike with fast road tyres is likely to be faster than a bike with studs, which was my original point.

A fast recumbent trike should compare favourably to his DF bikes, given that he's avoiding hills, but the efficiency hit from not being adapted to riding a 'bent would cancel that out.  If a recumbent rider were doing the challenge, I'd be surprised if they didn't choose to switch between two wheels and three as conditions dictate.

Understandable that's he's taking the risk in favour of more mileage.  Main roads are usually fine.

TGS

« Reply #39 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:02:28 pm »
Looks like lunch in Gainsborough. I hope it's more salubrious than this one on a forecourt there in 2010.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #40 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:24:07 pm »
We rode through Gainsborough on our Lowestoft-Ardnamurchan trip a few years ago. I remember the following few miles were through an oilfield, with nodding donkeys operating not far from the road. I was greatly surprised by this, having hitherto been completely unaware of inland oil production in the UK.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #41 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »
That's a strong party at Gainsborough!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #42 on: 18 January, 2015, 02:56:20 pm »

Don't know if it's his club, but that is a Richmond Jersey
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 18 January, 2015, 03:00:25 pm »
We rode through Gainsborough on our Lowestoft-Ardnamurchan trip a few years ago. I remember the following few miles were through an oilfield, with nodding donkeys operating not far from the road. I was greatly surprised by this, having hitherto been completely unaware of inland oil production in the UK.

The nodding donkeys of Nottinghamshire merited a mention in the "AA/Readers Digest Book Of The Road" back in the late sixties.

See also BP's Wych Farm site in Dorset - the company for which I toiled circa 1986 did some consultancu work on that one.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #44 on: 18 January, 2015, 03:24:46 pm »

The nodding donkeys of Nottinghamshire merited a mention in the "AA/Readers Digest Book Of The Road" back in the late sixties.

See also BP's Wych Farm site in Dorset - the company for which I toiled circa 1986 did some consultancu work on that one.

The first oil extraction in the UK was, I understand, at Hardstoft in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire. Still going strong when I was last near there.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #45 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:07:12 pm »

The first oil extraction in the UK was, I understand, at Hardstoft in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire. Still going strong when I was last near there.

Reminded me to look up about my local oilfield, Humbly Grove, near Alton.  Found out they store up to 6% of the UK's natural gas reserve there - pump it down, pump it up, dry it out a bit and put it back.  I remember a huge gas pipe being laid out across North Hampshire many years ago and now I know why.

Meanwhile Steve continues with his impressive progress South, not too far from Grantham now.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #46 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:14:23 pm »
Tarzan is normally quicker than Steve.  But Steve seems to be consistently staying 60 miles ahead today. Tarzan seems to have slowed down a bit.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #47 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:39:14 pm »
Tarzan is normally quicker than Steve.  But Steve seems to be consistently staying 60 miles ahead today. Tarzan seems to have slowed down a bit.

I noticed this yesterday too. I think it's more that Steve has sped up. Tarzan is going round and round in circles today, which may mean his distance is under-reported by the tracker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:41:22 pm »
The sleet downpour I was just caught in is presumably heading Steve's way.  That won't be fun.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #49 on: 18 January, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »

I noticed this yesterday too. I think it's more that Steve has sped up. Tarzan is going round and round in circles today, which may mean his distance is under-reported by the tracker.

Ah good point.

Good batting thinkman.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.