Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 21st  (Read 8729 times)

Re: Jan 21st
« Reply #25 on: 21 January, 2015, 02:58:02 pm »
Steve's currently munching his way through the breakfast of champions* and should be on the road shortly.

Weather's a bit damp but not as bad as forecast.

*bacon, eggs, 6 sausages

Worth noting for any hosts-to-be in the next 11 months.

Wonder if the eating habits of UK Audaxers will be going through a transformation over the coming year?

I am more concerned that he may not be able to drink alcohol  :facepalm:

Is this true?

H

and helpers while they are hosting... :o

(click to show/hide)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #26 on: 21 January, 2015, 05:23:21 pm »
Settling in at chez TG.

Dry and mild compared to recent temps in MK. Guess it will be 2-3 hours before he arrives. Time for a mug of tea and keep an eye on the tracker. 

« Reply #27 on: 21 January, 2015, 05:55:22 pm »
Looks like he may be a bit dizzy when he get back home, with the loops he's doing!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #28 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:06:13 pm »
swiss hat, are you making use of steves wifi? I hope you like the ssid & password I set up.

« Reply #29 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:06:39 pm »

« Reply #30 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:08:51 pm »
It's the one rule that stopped me launching my own attempt on the record ....

What a coincidence, me too.

That and the rule which states you have to actually ride more miles than the previous record...

I never intended to actually break the record ... Just ride my bike every day.  At that point my sponsors Fullers pulled out ....

« Reply #31 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »
Yes Aidan. Using my laptop rather than TG's mini. Just looked around for a TV to catch the news & weather but realise there isn't one.

swiss hat, are you making use of steves wifi? I hope you like the ssid & password I set up.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #32 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:16:17 pm »
Steve's currently munching his way through the breakfast of champions* and should be on the road shortly.

Weather's a bit damp but not as bad as forecast.

*bacon, eggs, 6 sausages

Worth noting for any hosts-to-be in the next 11 months.

Wonder if the eating habits of UK Audaxers will be going through a transformation over the coming year?

I am more concerned that he may not be able to drink alcohol  :facepalm:

Is this true?

H

and helpers while they are hosting... :o

(click to show/hide)

I am sorry but we have to draw the line somewhere  :facepalm:

H

« Reply #33 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:35:24 pm »
Has Steve finished going round in circles and gone home?

« Reply #34 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:49:00 pm »
It's just popped up on Strava. 182.9 miles. Another stunning effort.

« Reply #35 on: 21 January, 2015, 09:02:08 pm »
It's just popped up on Strava. 182.9 miles. Another stunning effort.

Without doubt.

I may have missed it, but has TG said anything about the after affects of the weekends excursions? Obviously Monday was a shorter day, but with the last two days hitting the January target, I'm assuming he wasn't too badly run down by those longer days?
Garry Broad

« Reply #36 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:24:18 pm »
Steve's been well fed and tea'd and now getting some ZZZZZ.

He seems in good form and showing no ill effects from what must have been a tough weekend. Says it will help to get him fitter and the slightly shorter day afterwards helped recovery.

Today's ride was a good one apparently and someone joined him on the road of a while - he really appreciates this as well as support from the roadside. One thorn in a tyre which he removed without loss of pressure - the tubeless tyre must have sealed if thorn had fully penetrated  :thumbsup:

I've replaced the chain and done the usual battery charging. He should be good to go again tomorrow. Not sure of the planned route at present but will ask before he sets off.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #37 on: 22 January, 2015, 01:39:22 am »
Thanks for the update Mr hatt. We really do lap up any news we can get. And of course, many thanks for good work looking after  Man + Bike.

Today's ride was a good one apparently and someone joined him on the road of a while - he really appreciates this as well as support from the roadside.

I just wish I was in the correct country to go ride with Steve. A think a steady rolling tandem would suit his riding style. At this rate, I can see by the time the french festivities are done I'll be seriously considering taking a month or two unpaid leave just to be nearer the action.

« Reply #38 on: 22 January, 2015, 07:00:38 am »
Steve's been well fed and tea'd and now getting some ZZZZZ.

Well done.

How much did you feed him?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #39 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:54:32 am »
Thanks for the update Swiss Hat.
What chain lube is Steve using?

Chris S

« Reply #40 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:55:18 am »

Dripping.

</oldskool>

« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:58:20 am »
Don't tell me Chris, the chain runs through a..............sausage!

« Reply #42 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:08:25 am »
How much did you feed him?

Mug of tea and 2 thick slices of malt loaf on arrival
2 servings of broccoli & stilton soup
2 servings of oxtail stew, pasta and broccoli

Must have been 10:30 pm by then and he was feeling sleepy so the pudding was served for breakfast on 22nd.

Think he said he's lost ~5kg since 1st Jan but had planned on losing weight/getting fitter during first months. He expects appetite to build up as he rides further/longer over the coming months.

« Reply #43 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:14:02 am »
5kg is basically a stone. That's a lot to lose in 3 weeks. Serious point, he might need to find ways to take on more calories.

« Reply #44 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:14:46 am »

Finishline wet lube.
Steve's done all his mileage on 1 bike so far. 1st chain was replaced at 2016, 2nd (yesterday) at 3900.

« Reply #45 on: 22 January, 2015, 01:03:06 pm »
Re: weight loss.

Steve still looks "well padded" (and in his Jan 1st TV appearance also) but that's becasue he *is* well padded. I've never seen anyone wearing so many layers.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #46 on: 22 January, 2015, 02:02:54 pm »

Finishline wet lube.
Steve's done all his mileage on 1 bike so far. 1st chain was replaced at 2016, 2nd (yesterday) at 3900.

Thanks SH, just making sure we weren't about to produce a sticky glue cocktail.

« Reply #47 on: 22 January, 2015, 02:14:19 pm »
The "well padded" is partly due to the multiple layers - probably 5-6 layers of base/jersey/thermal yesterday but he's also carrying inbuilt thermal insulation at the moment. He commented on this when I was scrubbing his back in the bath last night (joking!). He's burning some of that insulation off and aiming to be lighter/fitter over the coming weeks.

No need to be concerned with excessive weight loss in my opinion. He knows how his body works.

He says the low HR during rides is because of riding to how his legs feel rather than focusing on a specific HR zone tho' this is shown on the Garmin.