Author Topic: [HAMR] Bell Ringing at Marsh Gibbon - Quarter Peals  (Read 21692 times)

[HAMR] Bell Ringing at Marsh Gibbon - Quarter Peals
« on: 20 March, 2015, 08:58:49 am »
I floated the idea of ringing 4 quarter peals at Marsh Gibbon Parish Church, see Marsh Gibbon thread.

Bell ringing has been used as a mark of celebrating events for hundreds of years.  Quarter Peals are recorded in the UK's ringing records with the dedication for the ringing and what it was for. I've contacted the Church and they are OK with a visiting band ringing.

This thread is here to gather names of Ringers who would be able to take part in the celebrations. 
Dates would be the Quarter Days of 2015, although 31st March falls in a week when no Churches ring, so that will have to be during the first week of April.
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bell Ringing at Marsh Gibbon - Quarter Peals
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2015, 11:31:49 am »
Can I get the Campagnologist joke out of the way?  Good.

I believe there are quite a few ringers on yacf.  Didn't we have a thread about it a couple of years ago?  But how would the Marsh Gibboners feel about someone else ringing their bells?
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:15:46 pm »
But how would the Marsh Gibboners feel about someone else ringing their bells?
I've contacted the Church and they are OK with a visiting band ringing.

Answered in advance of even asking, forsooth.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:18:06 pm »
A fine idea. No doubt to be co-ordinated to coincide with Steve's progress through said parish.
Mojo is being awakened.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:22:55 pm »

Thanks.  I'd missed that somehow :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:38:05 pm »
(Apologies for smart-arsedness, BTW, clarion ... Been that sort of morning, somehow.)

« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2015, 12:49:28 pm »
As noted on the other thread, MrsM and I are keen so long as the dates fit a crowded diary. Thanks for the work so far, notlob.

I don't think we could tandem that far to ring though!

« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2015, 06:37:07 pm »
1    5cwt       D    29.50"    1848    William Taylor    Y    4
2    5½cwt       C    31.25"    1678    Richard III Chandler    Y    4
3    6-1-9       B    33.38"    1970    Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd    F    N
4    8¾cwt       A    37.13"    1678    Richard III Chandler    Y    4
5    13cwt       G    40.50"    1854    John Warner & Sons    Y    4
Sanctus             12.75"    c1610    Henry I Knight    Y    

A 5. I presume we would ring something simple as a scratch  band

When Steve breaks  the record a YACF peal will be appropriate - but perhaps not on a  5  :-[
We could crowd fund augmentation to 6, What, I wonder would we request as an inscription?

« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2015, 07:39:10 pm »

Most towers are fine with visiting bands...they like to have their bells rung.

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2015, 07:44:08 pm »
........although 31st March falls in a week when no Churches ring, so that will have to be during the first week of April.
Not necessarily true....many towers continue to ring throughout Holy Week although some, but not all of these, ring 1/2 muffled. Our home tower, Bosley in Cheshire ring 'open' in Holy Week and we have our normal practice on the Monday.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2015, 07:55:26 pm »
I am only at basic beginner level and not up for a Quarter Peal but I like the concept and hope it goes ahead.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

TGS

« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2015, 08:13:00 pm »
This is a brilliant idea  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 20 March, 2015, 08:48:09 pm »
Viewed from afar (see distance from MG below) it sounds so wonderfully, quintessentially British.
Beat that Tarzan! (Cheerleaders? Marching band? Ticker-tape parade?)

Go Kurt!  Go a bit further Steve!
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #13 on: 20 March, 2015, 09:20:57 pm »
So where are we up to with this??? It's only just over a week away and if we are going to do it we need to get it organised.

Know that Mothy and I are game, but what about others commitment???

Aidan??? Where are you up to ringing-wise? Could only find you on Campanophile once some years ago although treble bobbing but no idea what you ring these days???

Realistically, these won't be easy bells and the band won't have rung together before but Mothy could turn the tenor to Grandsire with a reliable band who won't run away. I could conduct if no-one else is more qualified but would keep it simple with 5 different but simple 120s repeated + a basic 60.

So what's happenning???

« Reply #14 on: 20 March, 2015, 09:56:21 pm »
not easy bells... I think my enthusiasm got the better of me, in the process of recovering from severed tendons left hand, so will have to give it a miss.

« Reply #15 on: 20 March, 2015, 11:13:23 pm »
I was hoping we would get a greater response to the call for Ringers here.  There must be some Cyclists in the Central Buckinghamshire Branch, even though none AUK's?

The Tower Captain told me that they don't ring in Holy Week.  The earliest we can ring will be the first week in April.  Should I ask the Branch if they could get a Band to ring the first Quarter?  The Marsh Gibbon band are not upto ringing Quarters.

« Reply #16 on: 21 March, 2015, 12:16:35 am »
I was hoping we would get a greater response to the call for Ringers here. 

You might find it worthwhile posting in a more general part of the forum - I think there are quite a lot of folk who don't come anywhere near the audax boards.

« Reply #17 on: 21 March, 2015, 08:12:54 am »
Am reading this all agog.

Haven't the foggiest idea what half of it means ("turn the tenor to Grandsire", eh?) but sincerely hope you guys pull it off. (see what I did there?)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #18 on: 22 March, 2015, 04:02:31 pm »
Its been a few years since I've rang.

St Peter's, Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire. 1983.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #19 on: 22 March, 2015, 05:03:59 pm »

When Steve breaks  the record a YACF peal will be appropriate - but perhaps not on a  5  :-[
We could crowd fund augmentation to 6, What, I wonder would we request as an inscription?

Can someone translate this, please?

I once had a campanologist (?) girlfriend but don't remember being let into their occult trade.

« Reply #20 on: 22 March, 2015, 10:47:20 pm »

Can someone translate this, please?

I once had a campanologist (?) girlfriend but don't remember being let into their occult trade.

Starting from Left; the Bell Number.  If ringing all 5 Bells they are 1 to 5.  If ringing 4 bells but the Back 4, we start at 2 which then is called 1, 3 is 2 etc. (confused, you will be)

Next, the weight of the Bell in Imperial Measure, no SI here.

Next, the Note which that Bell has been tuned to.

Next, the Bell Diameter in inches.

Next, the year in which each was cast.

Next, the maker or caster of the Bell.

The end two columns, I'm not sure, it may be something to do with how they are mounted in the Bell Frame.  The Sanctus Bell is a small bell used by the clergy when the larger bells are not being rung.  This bell is not rung Full Circle, but that's another story.

I thought there would have been more Ringers on here.  At the moment we are struggling to get enough people to do this.

« Reply #21 on: 23 March, 2015, 09:18:14 am »
I've just got back from a holiday and picked up on this. I'm up for this in the afternoon of 31st if that is still a possibility. I can't do the evening due to it being our tower practice. Do we have five available on Tuesday 31st March? I'm happy ringing anything on 5 with a few minutes notice though I would express a preference for Stedman. I have conducted quarters in the dim and distant past and would rather leave that to someone more competent.
Tony

« Reply #22 on: 23 March, 2015, 09:47:53 am »
I've just got back from a holiday and picked up on this. I'm up for this in the afternoon of 31st if that is still a possibility. I can't do the evening due to it being our tower practice. Do we have five available on Tuesday 31st March? I'm happy ringing anything on 5 with a few minutes notice though I would express a preference for Stedman. I have conducted quarters in the dim and distant past and would rather leave that to someone more competent.
Tony

Thanks very much for that, I was beginning to give up hope.  Regarding the 31st March, the church won't allow ringing due to it being Holy Week.  Realistically the first one would have to be Tuesday 7th April or another day that week.

Do you know of anyone else who could help out?  I could be a none working Treble, so not Stedman.  Mr. and Mrs. Mothy are up for it and they mentioned another Ringer, plus one more upthread.

« Reply #23 on: 23 March, 2015, 11:14:46 am »
If we're after ringers who have completed audax rides I know around 7 or 8 but most of them are still unfortunate enough to work. I know several other ringers who are also CTC members. I think we need to set a date and time then see who is available. I guess the availabity of a conductor is the key. I could have a word with Bill Haynes to see if he's up for it
Tony

« Reply #24 on: 23 March, 2015, 12:00:59 pm »
If we're after ringers who have completed audax rides I know around 7 or 8 but most of them are still unfortunate enough to work. I know several other ringers who are also CTC members. I think we need to set a date and time then see who is available. I guess the availabity of a conductor is the key. I could have a word with Bill Haynes to see if he's up for it
Tony

I thought that person was the 'change caller'.