Author Topic: [HAMR] Interview with Steve at the Mersey Roads 24 Hour.  (Read 4088 times)

Re: Interview with Steve at the Mersey Roads 24 Hour.
« Reply #25 on: 21 July, 2015, 05:39:19 pm »
I'm thinking that blood dilution would give symptoms similar to anaemia, but wouldn't respond to increased iron. As I say, supposition, but maybe worth a look.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anaemia-iron-deficiency-/Pages/Introduction.aspx

« Reply #26 on: 21 July, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »
Sometimes a weeks rest can do you the world of good.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:14:52 pm »
Whaddayamean Wowbagger minus beer? I'll have you know I haven't had a pint since Saturday * and and I have been over the two highest roads in Scotland in the past 36 hours!

Steve, you are an inspiration. Look after yourself and take it as easy as the schedule will allow.

*This is mostly because the company I am keeping has been opting for red wine.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 22 July, 2015, 12:52:22 pm »
Hi, esp. Mr Steve teethergrinder
Well impressed with your peddling!
Was wondering, is it worth having a team of local folk (on this forum?) to make sure you have crackin' good meals at the end of each day with everything needed to keep the nutrient intake up, since it's everyday for a year?
+ having a few days of very nice beer and solid rest before bashing the Record attempt again in 11 days time?
The Golden Hen's, Badger's and Marston's may be ideal.
.. Possibly at the Sun in Felmersam? .. I reckon you'd get a good welcome there!?
+ the North Beds. coutryside going from Pavenham to Carlton, looking over the Great Ouse Valley is one of the world's most beautiful cycle rides I reckon!  :)

Anyways wot-ever you do - I hope all goes steady & far!

Wstr

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #29 on: 23 July, 2015, 11:48:54 pm »
I'm thinking that blood dilution would give symptoms similar to anaemia, but wouldn't respond to increased iron. As I say, supposition, but maybe worth a look.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anaemia-iron-deficiency-/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I was a regular blood donor (46 donations), until I needed a transfusion following my last leg break. What I regularly found was that, with my increasing mileage through Audax, I was being rejected at donating sessions, as my red cell count was inadequate for me to spare 'the pinta'. To overcome this, when I knew I had a session coming up, was to take iron (Ferrous Sulphate) tablets. It worked and I regularly take a tablet top-up after a long ride to help restore the body for the next ride. My big rides are several days apart, not the overnight rest that the 1YTT implies. My 100 tab for £5 label suggests 2-3 per day to treat anaemia and 1 tab/day to prevent. Certainly worth consideration and discussion with a nutritionist.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #30 on: 24 July, 2015, 09:11:39 am »
If it was just a case of taking Iron, then EPO would never have been used in the Tour, they would have just taken Iron tablets. A lot of the science underlying this problem is obscure because it underlies cheating. Jonathan Vaughters is the go-to guy. He was a medical student before becoming a doping rider on Lance's team.