Author Topic: Another go .. TG??  (Read 67755 times)

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #525 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:51 pm »
At no point I had the impression he was after AC record (except after day one, when he posted a mega 500 km ride), but that's what his website suggests... I quote:

"Steve set off at a minute past midnight on the 4th of March 2017.  This was the start of his third attempt on the HAM'R record"
My understanding - possibly wrong - of the HAMR rules, is that he doesn't need to beat AC's distance to set a new record.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #526 on: August 02, 2017, 04:49:25 pm »
If Steve's ahead of the Searvogel line (?), he's in line for the mens & age group HAM'R, & Tommy Godwin's record on UK roads - which will all be a big achievement.  I guess he knows that the Coker record is probably out of reach.
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #527 on: August 02, 2017, 05:44:42 pm »
Yebbut who cares about age group records?  They're something to keep older triathletes happy; medals for everyone.
Latest tour journal: Bucharest to Berlin

« Reply #528 on: August 02, 2017, 06:07:22 pm »
Yebbut who cares about age group records?  They're something to keep older triathletes happy; medals for everyone.

especially as the Men's record is currently held by someone quite a bit older than Steve

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #529 on: August 02, 2017, 08:25:34 pm »
What motivates Steve? Steve knows.

I'm still very interested in how he gets on. Take nothing away from Amanda Coker. She achieved something mind-blowing.

Steve, at the outset, tried to emulate, and beat, Godwin. To an extent at least, he uses bikes which were comparable to the 1939 equivalent. He has stuck to roads and mixed it with traffic. The distinction between Amanda's and Steve's attempts will not be acknowledged by the UMCA, for the purposes of the record. Those of us who take an interest recognise that there's a distinction.

TBH, without wishing to be too abrasive, I'm not sure why people are posting on a thread about Steve's latest attempt just to belittle it.
You won. Get over it.

« Reply #530 on: August 02, 2017, 09:06:33 pm »

TBH, without wishing to be too abrasive, I'm not sure why people are posting on a thread about Steve's latest attempt just to belittle it.

In my case not belittle, just understand... for instance I was not aware there is more than just one record to play for... although it's still not fully clear to me whether other categories other than "the record" really exist.. the UMCA website is quite minimal

« Reply #531 on: August 02, 2017, 10:52:11 pm »
I don't think anyone on here is belittling Steve's attempt; just trying to understand what the attempt is as the OYTT website doesn't specify other than to beat the HAMR

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #532 on: August 03, 2017, 12:15:18 am »
It's what Steve wants to do, and I'm with him 100% on that. Why there has to be some of justification for it is beyond me. Why do people bother to get Audax points when they have no chance of getting the yearly record? Wowbagger is right, some posts on here are hard to fathom.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #533 on: August 03, 2017, 06:40:36 am »
It's what Steve wants to do, and I'm with him 100% on that. Why there has to be some of justification for it is beyond me. Why do people bother to get Audax points when they have no chance of getting the yearly record? Wowbagger is right, some posts on here are hard to fathom.

Points are awarded automatically, there is no effort involved other than riding an event, which I assume people do to enjoy themselves... I don't think many actively seek them. Some do and there are awards for that: RRTY, Randonneur 5000 and Randonneur 10000 are directly based on points... and of course all other awards are directly or indirectly based on points.
Ultimately you need the right combination of points to get an SR which is a requirement to qualify for PBP... all sorts of reasons to look after your points

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #534 on: August 03, 2017, 07:49:36 am »
I think you may have misunderstood me. There has been questioning of what purpose there is in Steve is riding all year round when he cannot beat Amanda. That clearly is not his purpose.

« Reply #535 on: August 03, 2017, 08:08:38 am »
That clearly is not his purpose.

It's probably clear to you, but not to me or others, hence the comments. His website still claims that he has set off in pursue of the record, which as I understand, belongs to Amanda.
However, thanks to all the contributions, I am also beginning to understand that every completed attempt is a new record in some way.

Basically, I think the all story is not clear to someone like me who thinks the 100 mt record belongs to Usain Bolt... of course there are records in at least a dozen categories of disability, there are youth records, national records, continental records, master and senior records and whatnot and maybe my view is a bit simplistic... in fact I could go out on the track now and set my own 100 mt record  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #536 on: August 03, 2017, 08:35:08 am »
Women's and men's records too.

dogtrousers

• Pantaloon
« Reply #537 on: August 03, 2017, 09:12:54 am »
As I understand it, Steve has set out to ride as far as he can in a year.  Seems fairly clear.

Sure it would be nice if he posted funny Kajsa-like updates every other day.  But that's not his style.

« Reply #538 on: August 03, 2017, 09:52:31 am »
As I understand it, Steve has set out to ride as far as he can in a year.  Seems fairly clear.

Not so clear... from his site I quote

"He is now beginning another attempt on the year record.  This is currently held by Kurt Searvogel, though Amanda Coker looks to be on course to break his record."

To me this reads as he did set out to beat the record  ???

dogtrousers

• Pantaloon
« Reply #539 on: August 03, 2017, 12:05:12 pm »
You're making a very simple concept - riding as far as possible in a year - over complicated. 

« Reply #540 on: August 03, 2017, 12:29:41 pm »
You're making a very simple concept - riding as far as possible in a year - over complicated.

Don't think so.

« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2017, 11:58:18 pm »
I'm still going for Amanda's record, though it does look unlikely that I'll succeed.
I need to get faster to succeed. I tried trying to get faster while riding around 14 hours a day (not including stops) and that didn't really work. So now I'm trying to ride fewer hours and have more recovery while just doing enough to stay ahead of Kurt.
Too early to see if it's working yet. I rode easy for 2 weeks before the Mersey 24 and seem to have gained a little bit of speed, but not much.
I seem to have a reasonable day or two before my speed drops again. That makes sense because I'd expect to have to ride a bit faster than normal then recover, which means slowing down.
I tend to look at a week at a time rather than days. Last week on Strava was a good sign that my speed is increasing. I was generally riding around 95 hours a week earlier in the year and doing over 1500 miles. Last week I rode 1500 miles in under 90hrs riding time. Even then, looking at a week at a time isn't entirely accurate because of weather.
Whether I can beat Amanda's record depends on whether I can get my speed up early enough, then start doing the longer hours again. That'll mean riding longer and faster in the winter. That doesn't seem impossible but I can see that it would seem unlikely.
I still have the men's record to go for. But if all else fails, I don't see the point in stopping. I may not get the record, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to stop. After all, I'd only find some other ride to do, so I might as well keep going just to finish the story.
Still 7 months to go  :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #542 on: August 04, 2017, 12:03:09 am »
Thanks Steve.
Best wishes.   Good luck
And keep on keeping on.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #543 on: August 04, 2017, 12:10:13 am »
What Basil said.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #544 on: August 04, 2017, 12:24:26 am »
But if all else fails, I don't see the point in stopping. I may not get the record, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to stop. After all, I'd only find some other ride to do, so I might as well keep going just to finish the story.
Still 7 months to go  :)

Chapeau!
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #545 on: August 04, 2017, 06:49:42 am »
Awesome Steve, thanks!

« Reply #546 on: August 04, 2017, 07:09:05 am »
Yes!!

« Reply #547 on: August 04, 2017, 08:41:15 am »
Really good to hear from you, Steve.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

dogtrousers

• Pantaloon
« Reply #548 on: August 04, 2017, 09:11:41 am »
Allez Steve!

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #549 on: August 04, 2017, 02:37:07 pm »
What a great attitude!! You can tell Steve's had some experience of this long distance riding game!

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk