Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476867 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3375 on: 14 December, 2020, 02:35:43 pm »
Looking more closely, QRS not inverted, rather the R wave hardly developed, followed by normal RS swoop. Fascinating.

Interesting thing is that this started the evening after my first lockdown ride, when we were only allowed to get out for an hour and I tried to pack as much into it was possible.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3376 on: 14 December, 2020, 07:33:51 pm »
Well, I saw the neurologist today.

Despite comments from a friend that he wasn't at all any good, I actually found him rather helpful.

A thorough neurological examination, (even if I had to strip down to my underpants!).

Outcome.  He isn't committing to it being Functional Neurological Disorder, or Multiple Sclerosis, until further tests have been done.

More bloods taken (7 vials worth!). Not entirely sure what he was testing for, but the results should be with my GP at the end of the week.

I'm also getting referred for a lumbar puncture  :o, as well as a spinal MRI *with* contrast as apparently part of my spine wasn't scanned on my previous MRIs. 

So while no diagnosis yet, at least I'm getting more tests to rule things out.   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3377 on: 14 December, 2020, 07:37:06 pm »
That's a bit more promising...   :thumbsup:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3378 on: 14 December, 2020, 07:56:58 pm »
Sounds like thoroughness if nothing else Brian. Glad it felt more useful than your friend's report. Hope you get tests and answers ASAP!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3379 on: 14 December, 2020, 08:08:38 pm »
Good luck Brian!

LP's not necessarily bad (at least mine wasn't!) but I had post LP headaches at 2pm every day for a week afterwards. Drink plenty and lie down if you do!

I've not had contrast for an MRI but have had my spinal cord imaged. I was able to wear my trousers as I had removed all metalwork from them. Having to change/undress can be a bit dehumanising so if you can find some metal-free trousers, I'd wear them.

« Reply #3380 on: 15 December, 2020, 07:01:02 pm »
Picked up a dose of tennis elbow about a month back. Finally got into the physio today, where he proceeded with IMS treatment and it's now (as he warned it would be), *really* sore.  2-3 weeks for any real improvement, ~ 2 months to make it go away completely.

barakta

« Reply #3381 on: 15 December, 2020, 07:39:39 pm »
What's IMS?

« Reply #3382 on: 15 December, 2020, 09:35:53 pm »
Intramuscular stimulation; Basically accupuncture with dose of electrity added.  It's much more targetted at specific muscles/nerves and forces the whole muscle to activate.
It's not comfortable at all, but can be quite effective.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3383 on: 15 December, 2020, 11:45:51 pm »
Caught a toe nail on the lip of a storage box lid this morning thus lifting it.
Oww and fuck.
It's a shit enough toe nail normally and I let it get a bit long evidently.

Might have to join the methadone micks* in the queue at the pharmacist down from work tomorrow.

* wish I was joking, the area down from work has one of the highest drug death rates in Europe.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #3384 on: 17 December, 2020, 05:50:07 pm »
Picked up a dose of tennis elbow about a month back. Finally got into the physio today, where he proceeded with IMS treatment and it's now (as he warned it would be), *really* sore.  2-3 weeks for any real improvement, ~ 2 months to make it go away completely.

There is no level 1 evidence that anything works for tennis elbow and the vast majority settles spontaneously within a few months (1-12).  I know of no treatment for tennis elbow which is not either snake oil or harmful.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3385 on: 17 December, 2020, 07:15:37 pm »
Is the same true for golfers' elbow?

« Reply #3386 on: 18 December, 2020, 11:54:25 am »
There's a golfer's elbow?  At least tennis elbow is exercise-related.  Is it a 19th Hole thing?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3387 on: 18 December, 2020, 01:22:09 pm »
No, it's a similar affliction to the 'inside', rather than 'outside' elbow end of the humerus.

« Reply #3388 on: 18 December, 2020, 01:23:09 pm »
Is the same true for golfers' elbow?

Probably.  the problem with golfers elbow is that it catches a significant number of cases of early cubital tunnel syndrome as both have medial epicondyle pain.

Not only is there no level 1 evidence of any benefit the best evidence from a randomised trial (although possibly not adequately powered for this outcome) is that steroid injections alleviate pain but give a poorer longterm outcome with more frequent severe recurrence than physiotherapy or a single session of advice.

The best treatment is advice to lift with the palm facing upwards which immediately removes all pain by defunctioning the radial wrist extensors.  On this basis there is no need for treatment and recovery can progress unhindered.  A tennis elbow clasp may help for similar reasons and there is a particular stretch I teach patients which may be mumbo-jumbo but which I used personally to good effect.

simonp

« Reply #3389 on: 18 December, 2020, 04:33:00 pm »
I found sawing wood on Saturday very painful at the inside of the elbow, have wondered for a while if it is golfer's elbow. Riding my fixie is the other thing that brought on similar pain and that might have been the original cause. I sawed up some old wood on Tuesday, and had no pain at all, it's a bit random. Though I'd also used a sledgehammer to demolish some old decking and its foundations on Saturday - that was high impact.

Completely unrelated but I've had no palpitations that I've been aware of this week, and indeed the ecg from Feline's watch now looks normal. Maybe it's because I've got the week off work, or maybe the rogue cell or cells that triggered the ectopic beats have died? I'm back at work a couple of days next week, let's see if it comes back!

« Reply #3390 on: 19 December, 2020, 08:48:11 am »

there is a particular stretch I teach patients which may be mumbo-jumbo but which I used personally to good effect.
Can you share? My tennis elbow has been niggling for 12 months this time around. Years ago I had the steroid injections - and found it very effective. I had almost had to stop working (I was milking cows). It's intermittent but annoying for me this time.

« Reply #3391 on: 19 December, 2020, 09:21:18 am »

there is a particular stretch I teach patients which may be mumbo-jumbo but which I used personally to good effect.
Can you share? My tennis elbow has been niggling for 12 months this time around. Years ago I had the steroid injections - and found it very effective. I had almost had to stop working (I was milking cows). It's intermittent but annoying for me this time.

I will try to put together a little video as it is difficult to describe.

If you had a lot of steroid injections previously then you probably have some weakness of the tissues which is why you are getting recurrent issues

« Reply #3392 on: 19 December, 2020, 09:33:06 am »
I had 2 injections - one in New Zealand and the second one back in the UK 6 months later. I was told subsequent injections would be less effective.

« Reply #3393 on: 20 December, 2020, 02:30:17 pm »

https://youtu.be/LjnwsM4jCp4  Should get you to the video.

BrianI

« Reply #3394 on: 20 December, 2020, 08:27:59 pm »
Good luck Brian!

LP's not necessarily bad (at least mine wasn't!) but I had post LP headaches at 2pm every day for a week afterwards. Drink plenty and lie down if you do!

I've not had contrast for an MRI but have had my spinal cord imaged. I was able to wear my trousers as I had removed all metalwork from them. Having to change/undress can be a bit dehumanising so if you can find some metal-free trousers, I'd wear them.

Thanks! I'm used to MRI scans as this one will be my fourth one this year

« Reply #3395 on: 23 December, 2020, 06:19:16 am »

Interesting. It's a bit weird sensation. I'll add it to the daily list of exercises. FWIW, mine has a improved a fair bit.

« Reply #3396 on: 23 December, 2020, 09:06:40 am »

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

« Reply #3397 on: 23 December, 2020, 10:01:58 am »
The stretch often needs doing every 3-4 hours in the Acute phase.

BrianI

« Reply #3398 on: 26 December, 2020, 11:58:02 pm »
Despite almost tripping over while bringing the bike in from the shed while using a crutch in the other hand  :facepalm: I managed to get the bike set up on the smart turbo trainer, and I did a trifle 8km on Zwift.

I really had to concentrate at the beginning to get my legs turning the pedals smoothly, but once I started concentrating on the screen, rather than my legs, it certainly got easier.

So perhaps it is some sort of weird Functional Neurological issue I have? Kinda like a negative feedback loop where if I focus on being unsteady on my legs I *will* be unsteady on my legs...  :-\

barakta

« Reply #3399 on: 27 December, 2020, 12:41:07 am »
Quite possibly.

This article https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/25/learning-how-walk-again-pandemic-neurological-disorder is about an online friend of mine who I didn't realise had FND after a bad bout of meningitis. She recently had intensive rehab to help her learn to walk again and stuff.

Well done for getting on your bike, I hope you can keep doing that and keeping yourself moving till you get proper support.