Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940329 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8700 on: 27 December, 2019, 11:53:27 am »
Green Book

Thought this was as close to perfect as you can get.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8701 on: 27 December, 2019, 01:30:39 pm »
First To The Moon (2018)

Another of the recent crop of "better interview them before they all snuff it" extremely competent Apollo programme documentaries, this time concentrating on the lead up to the ultimate "f/8 and be there"[1] moment in human history.

The Aeronauts (2019)

I see what they were trying to do with this, but if you're going to throw historical accuracy to the, erm, wind like that[2], you might as well give it the full steampunk treatment.  Visually stunning.

[1] It was actually f/11, but let's not hold that against them.
[2] Presumably in an attempt at avoiding the more problematic issue of the era, such as sexism and 1860s fashion.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8702 on: 27 December, 2019, 02:08:51 pm »
[1] eh?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8703 on: 27 December, 2019, 02:16:39 pm »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8704 on: 27 December, 2019, 02:24:38 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8705 on: 27 December, 2019, 02:42:43 pm »
Green Book

Thought this was as close to perfect as you can get.

Also a great Christmas film

ian

« Reply #8706 on: 27 December, 2019, 08:18:53 pm »
6 Underground. Maximum Bayhem. It's very bad. Magnet gag at the end is kinda cool, though.
Hopefully this will be the movie that will finish off his career as a director? (Probably not).

It was pretty awful. There's possibly a precisely titrated point on the spectrum of sober-to-drunkenness where it makes some kind of entertainment sense but that remains purely theoretical.

I really should shitcan Netflix, there's increasingly little other than lamentably lame straight-to-streaming movies and ponderously plotted TV shows that take forever to get nowhere.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8707 on: 28 December, 2019, 10:34:31 am »
Netflix reminds me of the English-book bit of the Stuttgart Airport shop's miserable selection of paperbacks: either well-known stuff you've read or stuff you wouldn't care to be seen reading.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8708 on: 28 December, 2019, 10:55:15 am »
Christopher Robin

A good film for the family, and enjoyed the CGI stuff.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8710 on: 28 December, 2019, 04:05:43 pm »
Aha! Thankyou  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #8711 on: 28 December, 2019, 04:59:24 pm »
In the 60s/70s no camera had autofocus, and most didn't have internal light meters. If you didn't have a light meter, you used the Sunny 16 rule. F8 And Be There is based on that - f/8 at 1/125s for standard 100 ASA film is for "overcast", if it's brighter you overexpose a couple of stops which negative film copes with fine (underexpose and the image is lost). Set your expensive camera to that, set the focus ring so the f/8 depth of field marker is on infinity like this:

you've now got a "point and shoot" camera with good optics.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8712 on: 29 December, 2019, 09:46:37 am »
Furthermore, in the absence of image stabilisation you didn't shoot handheld with a focal length greater than the reciprocal of the exposure time, so that with your 1/125 at f/8 you were limited to 125 mm if you wanted a shake-free picture.  It was a right old bundle of laughs.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8713 on: 29 December, 2019, 01:19:11 pm »
Spartacus*!

Clichés have to start somewhere. Tony Curtis being called "Boy" by Luvvie Larry, after admitting an age of 26, while LL discusses the relative merits of mollusc gastronomy. In the bath.

Without going into the deep research field, I am wondering how much of Ustinov's comedy was at least partly ad lib. The film remains a classic, despite being so largely of its time and place of production, and it still brought some moistening of the eyes.

*and his wife
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8714 on: 30 December, 2019, 09:53:26 am »
Lion

A story of an adopted boy finding his roots. Quite slow, but very atmospheric and thought provoking.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8715 on: 31 December, 2019, 07:45:07 am »
Most of The Death of Stalin, with Mrs ED grumbling in the background I abandoned it, will watch it again sometime

Last night, the Dressmaker, another black comedy, but acceptable, possibly because it involved clothes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8716 on: 31 December, 2019, 01:12:36 pm »
Went to the 10am showing of the Rise of Skywalker.  The mulitplex misfunctioned, we had sound but not picture, so they just kept rebooting, they gave up after 20 mins and gave us refunds and sent us out into the world again.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8717 on: 31 December, 2019, 02:17:56 pm »
Most of The Death of Stalin, with Mrs ED grumbling in the background I abandoned it, will watch it again sometime

:o Thought it was brilliant.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8718 on: 31 December, 2019, 03:55:59 pm »
I too thought it was a brilliant satire.  She doesn't get the political undertones and fear of the arbitrariness of decision making and equate that with humour. 

She also doesn't like Monty Python, Spike Milligan, absurdist humour etc
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #8719 on: 31 December, 2019, 05:41:12 pm »
Whatever the latest Star Wars is called (Rise of Skywalker - says Miss Langoustine.) I was fully prepared to tender a barrage of meh, but actually, I quite enjoyed it. As ever, it was a greatest hits collection, everyone got their spot in front of the lens, even those who had died in the interim. Chewbacca has still kept his looks. Luke finally got them to admit they made him look a twat in the earlier episode. The mechanics are reasonably the same – intergalactic MacGuffin hunt followed by indestructible empire/first/second/third/final order/Sith (delete as appropriate) fleet with obvious fatal flaw that makes it easily destructible with a bit of pluck, there's light sabre fights with incidental lightning and flying ship furniture. There's a plot for Finn and Rey has stopped being annoying. You even get Ewoks. No one brings back Jar-Jar, obvs.

As kick-back nostalgia wallows go, it wasn't an unpleasant way to wend through a Twixtmas afternoon.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8720 on: 31 December, 2019, 06:11:53 pm »
Angels One Five, mainly because it's one of the few films that the Hurri gets a starring role in.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #8721 on: 02 January, 2020, 04:11:26 pm »
Downsizing, because my daughter said it was quite good. She is right. It is surprisingly good, not at all the film I was expecting. Thought I would be watching some US sitcom fluff. Instead, I got a political/social commentary/sitcom. Predictable plot though.

Hellboy No, not that one. The film on Netflix. If you are a reader of the graphic novels, this is the Hellboy for you. It actually follows the graphic novels pretty closely. Script co-written by Mike Mignola. Doesn't have the atmosphere of the glossy holliwood films, but it has more of the feel of the graphic novels for me. I was watching it on a truly shitty adsl connection, so maybe my impression was coloured (sic) by the pixellated display and frequent pauses for buffering.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8722 on: 02 January, 2020, 10:55:43 pm »
Joker (2019)

Confirming that nothing good ever comes of taking Batman too seriously.   :hand:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8723 on: 03 January, 2020, 09:22:38 am »
Another The Death Of Stalin over here.  Jason Isaacs totally steals the film.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #8724 on: 03 January, 2020, 10:09:49 am »
The Spy Gone North, currently on iplayer. The long and short of it is a South Korean intelligence officer is tasked with getting close to Kim Jong Il to figure out the maturity of their nuclear weapons programme. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. It's a Korean film and there's a lot to learn.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.