Author Topic: Memory Map  (Read 1954 times)

Memory Map
« on: 06 October, 2019, 11:19:50 pm »
A week in Yorkshire, the non-existent wifi in the rented cottage nearly forced us to fall back on drawing lines on paper maps (the horror).

Fortunately, an almost forgotten 2009 copy of Memory Map on the laptop meant we could still create GPX routes for the hungry Garmins despite the lack of cloud (though we still drew lines on maps because we're both over 50).

That experience caused me to look at the 2019 version of Memory Map and at £40 I'm tempted to update. But does anyone have experience of its usage. Once installed and any OS maps loaded, can it still function fully independent of the internet or has it entered the 'needs access to the cloud to work' era?

Re: Memory Map
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2019, 07:08:42 am »
I used to use memory map but now use either the ordinance survey app or Komoot for walking.  Both download full datasets to the phone or laptop.  I accept this has to be done before travelling.

« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2019, 07:16:13 am »
A week in Yorkshire, the non-existent wifi in the rented cottage nearly forced us to fall back on drawing lines on paper maps (the horror).

Fortunately, an almost forgotten 2009 copy of Memory Map on the laptop meant we could still create GPX routes for the hungry Garmins despite the lack of cloud (though we still drew lines on maps because we're both over 50).

That experience caused me to look at the 2019 version of Memory Map and at £40 I'm tempted to update. But does anyone have experience of its usage. Once installed and any OS maps loaded, can it still function fully independent of the internet or has it entered the 'needs access to the cloud to work' era?

Free version. I have no experience of it.

https://download.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/Memory-Map/FREE-6.2.2.html

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2019, 07:18:22 am »
Blimey... Memory Map.

I had that in, I think, 2005, and had to use a serial cable.

« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2019, 07:30:01 am »
As always, there is a catch.

*Terms: 5 day free trial is limited to one trial per user.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2019, 07:42:35 am »
I'm a long-term (14 years at least - used if for first E2E in 2005) Memory Map user - still as good as it was ..... although a) the licence process is arcane, and b) it's not brilliant on a phone or tablet (although that may be down to my patience or lack of with the licence stuff for multiple devices)

The other systems - Quo, Fugawi, Tracklogs seem to have faded away - but Strava used just as a route planning tool is excellent.  I quite often create/plot my route on Strava to download a .gpx and then load that to Mem Map to get a better visual with all the OS 1:50,000 detail.

I've also used the Mem Map IGN 1:100,000 of France extensively .... they seem to have discontinued the mapping for Belgium and the Netherlands which were also useful.

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 07 October, 2019, 12:31:09 pm »
I used to use memory map but now use either the ordinance survey app or Komoot for walking.  Both download full datasets to the phone or laptop.  I accept this has to be done before travelling.

Similarly, I ditched Memory Map in favour of Viewranger, because (at least at the time) it had a markedly better Android app, and Android is what I'm going to be accessing maps from in the field.

The principle of having local copies of maps on a device that can communicate with your GPS receiver is a sound one.  It's why I've been careful to avoid bringing too many web applications into my workflow.

« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2019, 12:46:27 pm »
I've used it for about 8 years or so and I still like it.  Having said that I only really use it as a digital map - so no route planning, I just click the "where-am-I?" button and work out which way to go from the screen.  I only use it on my phone which can be a bit limiting as they don't seem to realise that phone and tablet screens can rotate now - you have to look at it in portrait mode.  The best thing about them is the help desk.  Most times I change the phone I struggle to transfer the maps across.  They still have a UK help desk staffed by people that know what they are talking about and are keen to help.  The CD that I have says that the help is only available for the first 30 days but I've never had a problem.