Author Topic: The wind...  (Read 31763 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The wind...
« Reply #50 on: 09 February, 2020, 01:30:14 pm »
I noted that BA were cancelling "hundreds" of flights because Wind.  Whoever drives the Met's helichopter is made of sterner Stuffs, as the wretched thing was still out and about at hours 03:30 of the clock this morning.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #51 on: 09 February, 2020, 01:31:54 pm »
Just propped some things up at mum’s, now off home. Glad that we redid the roof a few years ago...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #52 on: 09 February, 2020, 01:47:45 pm »
I noted that BA were cancelling "hundreds" of flights because Wind.  Whoever drives the Met's helichopter is made of sterner Stuffs, as the wretched thing was still out and about at hours 03:30 of the clock this morning.

That was several hours before the weather warning for high winds was due to apply (from 08:00 to 21:00). ;)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2020-02-09&id=9b547185-76da-486f-9786-760ccd42761d
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #53 on: 09 February, 2020, 01:51:49 pm »

Was looking on Flightradar24 - Luton appears to be deserted - when I noticed the BA flight from Haneda miss its landing and do a go-around.p  :o They’ve now stacked them over Reigate wait for another slot to be free.

And now the Sau Paulo flight has done the same. Crickey!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #54 on: 09 February, 2020, 01:53:18 pm »
It's the cross winds that are difficult (and more dangerous). Can be riding along no problem then a side gust hits you and takes you across the road or into the ditch.

Aye, I left that unsaid, when I lost the shelter of the trees at the Ledgowan I was pretty lucky nothing was oncoming as I narrowly avoided hitting the kerb on the offside.
Then at the circle my attempt to turn the bike up the Kinlochewe road resulted in the bike turning towards inverness and my correction had it pointing back to Strathcarron.
My retreat to the Ledgowan was neither stylish nor without difficulty, despite having been on top of Mt Keen with an MTB in gale force winds I've never had the wind lift the bike up like that before.

If I'd made the turn I'd have had 26km of misery pushing into it; was only barely able to walk the bike until I got a lift.
Similar issue to that last one on Drummochter the other week, Coire an Tuirc was being a bit of a funnel which had be pushed to a standstill a couple of times between the Cottage and getting into the shelter of the Boar.  If I hadn't worked out that funnel and that I wasn't too far from topographical shelter I suspect I'd have turned round and gone to Dalwhinnie for a train.

Oh aye that's something else those wind charts don't allow for, Topographic funnelling

Was looking on Flightradar24 - Luton appears to be deserted - when I noticed the BA flight from Haneda miss its landing and do a go-around.p  :o They’ve now stacked them over Reigate wait for another slot to be free.

Someone I know flew to Birmingham this morning, on arrival the pilot abandoned any thought of landing and returned to Geneva.

spindrift

« Reply #55 on: 09 February, 2020, 01:57:23 pm »
Woke up to this in the back garden:

Forgot I got it in the Argos sale two years ago.

Phil W

« Reply #56 on: 09 February, 2020, 01:59:35 pm »

If it’s Heathrow the flights are stacked pretty close together 24/7.  With the winds the safe distance between take offs / landings will have increased and flights will need to be cancelled as they won’t all fit.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #57 on: 09 February, 2020, 02:01:17 pm »
Seems to have calmed down a bit here.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #58 on: 09 February, 2020, 02:29:51 pm »
https://twitter.com/stormkees/status/1226435268535824385?s=20

Dutch headwind cycling.......

seen that before, we have a road near us, 10 miles or so dead straight into a south-westerly. I suggested we could give it a go here.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

« Reply #59 on: 09 February, 2020, 02:45:20 pm »
We have a segregated cycle track through a park here. It’s about a Mike long and straight into the wind at the moment. Perfect.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #60 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:00:22 pm »
Tay Bridge shut to all, that means gusts have reached 130kmh here.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #61 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:07:48 pm »
It's the cross winds that are difficult (and more dangerous). Can be riding along no problem then a side gust hits you and takes you across the road or into the ditch.

Aye, I left that unsaid, when I lost the shelter of the trees at the Ledgowan I was pretty lucky nothing was oncoming as I narrowly avoided hitting the kerb on the offside.
Then at the circle my attempt to turn the bike up the Kinlochewe road resulted in the bike turning towards inverness and my correction had it pointing back to Strathcarron.
My retreat to the Ledgowan was neither stylish nor without difficulty, despite having been on top of Mt Keen with an MTB in gale force winds I've never had the wind lift the bike up like that before.

If I'd made the turn I'd have had 26km of misery pushing into it; was only barely able to walk the bike until I got a lift.
Similar issue to that last one on Drummochter the other week, Coire an Tuirc was being a bit of a funnel which had be pushed to a standstill a couple of times between the Cottage and getting into the shelter of the Boar.  If I hadn't worked out that funnel and that I wasn't too far from topographical shelter I suspect I'd have turned round and gone to Dalwhinnie for a train.

Oh aye that's something else those wind charts don't allow for, Topographic funnelling

Reminds me of the time I got blown across the road on the ascent to the Lecht on the Wildcat Grimpeur. Feanor otp was given a good shove descending from Glenshee too.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:09:29 pm »
It's an ill wind ...

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/british-airways-fast-flight-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

London (CNN) — A British Airways (BA) flight has broken the record for the fastest-ever subsonic flight between New York and London, reaching a top speed of more than 800mph (1,287km/h).
The Boeing 747 aircraft flew overnight from Saturday to Sunday and reached its destination in four hours and 56 minutes, as Storm Ciara sped towards the United Kingdom.
The plane landed at Heathrow airport at 4.43 a.m., almost two hours earlier than scheduled. Its top speed during the flight was 825mph (1,327km/h), according to Flightradar24, an online flight-tracking service.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:09:49 pm »
Woke up to this in the back garden:

Forgot I got it in the Argos sale two years ago.

I think the railways received a similar gift...

« Reply #64 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:20:02 pm »
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/british-airways-fast-flight-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

London (CNN) — A British Airways (BA) flight has broken the record for the fastest-ever subsonic flight between New York and London, reaching a top speed of more than 800mph (1,287km/h).
The Boeing 747 aircraft flew overnight from Saturday to Sunday and reached its destination in four hours and 56 minutes, as Storm Ciara sped towards the United Kingdom.
The plane landed at Heathrow airport at 4.43 a.m., almost two hours earlier than scheduled. Its top speed during the flight was 825mph (1,327km/h), according to Flightradar24, an online flight-tracking service.
Trying to get my head around this...
Speed of sound is 767mph.
This aircraft has (allegedly) breached 825mph.
Landed 2 hours earlier than scheduled.
2 hours earlier?
Really ?

ElyDave

« Reply #65 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:20:56 pm »
Ground speed not air speed

« Reply #66 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:24:46 pm »

Chris S

« Reply #67 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:27:59 pm »
Ground speed not air speed
What?

A plane flies in the air that surrounds it - at whatever speed that plane is rated for - let's say 400mph. That's it's "air speed".

But the air around it is all moving relative to the ground (wind). So if that wind is behind the plane, its speed is added to the speed of the plane to give a "ground speed".The plane still thinks it's going 400mph because it is, relative to the air around it, but the whole lot is moving at 600mph relative to the ground, assuming a tailwind of 200mph.

« Reply #68 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:31:48 pm »
Ah.
Ta.
 :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #69 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:38:20 pm »
Which is why they take off and land into the wind. You get the same airspeed at lower ground speed, so you start flying quicker, which is safer than going at that speed on the ground.

Phil W

« Reply #70 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:41:31 pm »
The speed of sound is also relative to the speed of the medium it is in. So if the air is moving forward at 200 mph then you need to add that to the speed of the sound. So the sound waves propagating forwards  are still ahead of the plane. No sonic boom.

Unlike light the speed of sound isn’t fixed either, depends on medium and temperature as well etc.

« Reply #71 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:43:25 pm »
The sonic boom bit was going to be my next question.  :P

ETA - Am aware of the speed of sound isn’t fixed....

« Reply #72 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:02:47 pm »
We seem to be in a bit of a lull. The temp, after rising 4 degrees in 12 hours has just dropped 3 in 45 minutes. We even have a bit of blue sky visible, and it’s breezy rather than blowing a hooley.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #73 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:04:14 pm »

Unlike light the speed of sound isn’t fixed either, depends on medium and temperature as well etc.
Well if we're doing Fun Facts ...

Actually light isn't fixed to one speed. The "speed in a vacuum" - or the "c" in the E=mc^2 is the MAXIMUM it can travel. Send it through glass or water, say, and you slow it down. Which leads to refraction and other fun stuff :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #74 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:09:40 pm »

Well if we're doing Fun Facts ...

Actually light isn't fixed to one speed. The "speed in a vacuum" - or the "c" in the E=mc^2 is the MAXIMUM it can travel. Send it through glass or water, say, and you slow it down. Which leads to refraction and other fun stuff :)

Good point  Duh for me! :facepalm: