Author Topic: Seized valve  (Read 1081 times)

Seized valve
« on: 05 May, 2020, 04:44:18 pm »
In this age of no ultra racing for the foreseeable I went to switch out my endurance wheels for the fast set last night.
 When I attempted to top them up with fresh sealant it didn't seem to be getting in through de hole like normal. Pumping was laboured too.
Pumped to 60psi and sealant was leaking out the base of the valve. I tried to shift the lock nut to push the valve in a bit but the nut is  seized. I tried gingerly with pliers but its not shifting. Enve AR disc rims so I don't want to yuk it too hard and bugger them. The tires are still sealed on the rims and I did get pressure so its definitey an issue with the valve.
Any tips on what to try next?
ta.
often lost.

Re: Seized valve
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2020, 05:32:44 pm »
This is a pretty common problem. Tubeless valves are 2 piece, get a spoke key / valve core remover, and get the jammed core out. Then replace the core with a fresh one. If the core is totally jammed, gently heat the valve stem with boiling water to loosen it up. I sometimes use little tepe interdental tooth brushes to clean out the stems as well.
Loving life with a beautiful Bianchi.

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2020, 07:43:49 pm »
This is a pretty common problem. Tubeless valves are 2 piece, get a spoke key / valve core remover, and get the jammed core out. Then replace the core with a fresh one. If the core is totally jammed, gently heat the valve stem with boiling water to loosen it up. I sometimes use little tepe interdental tooth brushes to clean out the stems as well.

No the core is fine, I already removed that to refill with sealant. Its the Stem nut that is jammed. Thats what I tried to remove to push the stem in further after inflating the tire had sealant leaking out at the stem base/rim.
often lost.

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2020, 08:04:01 pm »
Why would you want to push the valve stem in if it is leaking sealant?  ???

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2020, 10:22:47 am »

No the core is fine, I already removed that to refill with sealant. Its the Stem nut that is jammed. Thats what I tried to remove to push the stem in further after inflating the tire had sealant leaking out at the stem base/rim.
Ah, okay, it’s the big nut at the base of the stem that’s jammed. If it really won’t budge, and your rims aren’t Carbon. Get a chef’s brûlée torch, and heat it up, then give turning it a go with pliers.
Loving life with a beautiful Bianchi.

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2020, 11:34:45 am »

Ah, okay, it’s the big nut at the base of the stem that’s jammed. If it really won’t budge, and your rims aren’t Carbon. Get a chef’s brûlée torch, and heat it up, then give turning it a go with pliers.
Enve AR are carbon.  Very expensive carbon.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2020, 02:50:23 pm »
this will probably sacrifice the valve stem, but pliers holding the stem and another pair of pliers unscrewing the lockring? or there's always a mini-grinder option.

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2020, 06:29:45 pm »
this will probably sacrifice the valve stem, but pliers holding the stem and another pair of pliers unscrewing the lockring? or there's always a mini-grinder option.

Yikes. LBS it is then. We went to curb side pick up this week so I'll play it safe.
often lost.