Author Topic: T Level qualifications  (Read 1049 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
T Level qualifications
« on: 30 October, 2019, 11:11:40 am »
Have you heard of them? They were mentioned at a 6th form college open evening I took my son to last night. I think the teacher talking about them was the only person who'd heard of them. I'm afraid I didn't pay a huge amount of attention, as they weren't directly relevant, but they seem to be something that's being introduced as another attempt to bridge the gap of what happens after GCSEs. Like the current BTechs and Extended Diplomas they are going to be 'the equivalent of' three A levels, but they're not replacing those (at least not yet, that might be the plan in the long term). 
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

Cudzoziemiec

Re: T Level qualifications
« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2019, 06:19:40 pm »
Okay, I guess it's a really well publicised change... Or is it just that all the forum's teachers are away for half term?

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2019, 09:39:34 pm »
T levels are reverse apprenticeships, where you do a day’s work placement and four days in college.  Some providers have dropped their alternative quals (eg aqa no longer offer a level electronics) and other providers are feeling the threat (eg edexcel’s btecs).
The t levels will be bloody hard to market and run - it’s already impossible to get the partnerships needed for apprenticeships, so then Venn diagram that with a harder qualification that would require students to be able to complete a levels, but without the flexibility on outcome.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2019, 08:42:37 am »
That would probably be consistent with only one of the places he's visited mentioning them. "Reverse apprenticeship" is a neat description!

« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2019, 12:53:33 pm »
Our head of engineering is not shy of a challenge, but has considered t levels and decided that nvqs are a better option.
I think these fill a void that no one is clamouring to fill.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace