Author Topic: entry of events via paypal and start list  (Read 5384 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
entry of events via paypal and start list
« on: 24 November, 2010, 03:05:29 pm »
Last year when a AUK member entered my event with Paypal their details were automatically added to the start list

This year I have had two Paypal entries already but they aren't in the start list.  I will be adding them manually of course but the question is, will subsequent entries get added to the list and is there anything I need to do to make this happen?

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: entry of events via paypal and start list
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2010, 03:19:21 pm »
Last year when a AUK member entered my event with Paypal their details were automatically added to the start list

This year I have had two Paypal entries already but they aren't in the start list.  I will be adding them manually of course but the question is, will subsequent entries get added to the list and is there anything I need to do to make this happen?

I'm sure I read somewhere that if people don't go "Back" after submitting their payment, they don't get added to the list automatically.

Ah, Here it is.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2010, 03:24:53 pm »
Vorsprung, have you tried entering yourself?

( PhilD will confirm, but I suspect its' broken even for those that do Go "Back" ! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2010, 03:44:37 pm »
Not so much broken, as changed.  The start list is no longer automatically updated.  I presume this is because of the problem mentioned above, so as we cannot with certainty have all entered automatically, we have with certainty none.

This was one of a number of changes, and I had some correspondence with Peter Coates.  One change was that when you entered a new entry, it went straight into the alphabetical position in the list, rather than at the top of the grid (made it slightly more difficult to error-check; now corrected).  Another was that on-line entries are no longer identified as such in the start list.  I have asked Pete if he could create a field for us to mark OLEs, as that would make it easier to create a dump file of the addresses for producing labels for the return of brevets.  He said he would do this, but it would take longer - I don't know whether it's there yet.  

As an aside, with the Upper Thames this year I had one entry where I did NOT get an email from PayPal, so it is not 100% certain that you can rely on the PayPal emails.  You need to keep an eye on your PayPal account and reconcile it with your entries.

« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2010, 03:47:08 pm »
I've had at least 100 online entries in the last couple of months and none have gone onto the start list. I presumed that this is how its set up to work these days

I actually now prefer this, as last year's system meant that I had to keep a careful watch for those who slipped through the net by not clicking back into the website.

I'm finding the start list generator to be brilliant these days.  Brevet card labels are easy peasy, and I can get to the final result sheet stage in a few minutes.

Last Saturday we had 79 names on the start sheet as we left home for the HQ.  Ten didn't turn up, but there were 19 EOLs.  Sue dashed home after the riders had departed and was back in ten minutes with an up to date rider list for our controllers to take with them, and a nice finishers list to work with as the riders returned.

As validators, we occasionally see the "back of a fag packet" methods some organisers use to keep track of riders.  We are thankful that most orgs are now using the generator software.  

Keith

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2010, 08:35:47 pm »
Vorsprung, have you tried entering yourself?
  :o
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »
It's worth mentioning that this feature seems to be working again

Entries made online are being put automatically into the start list

JohnHamilton

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2011, 07:05:10 am »
It's been resurrected but now works slightly differently

There's a new column in the list called entry type which gets set to Web Pending when the rider enters, and Web Paid when (if) they return to AUK after doing the PayPal bit.

Also includes a Postal option for manual entries.

Of course this does mean you have to watch out for those who start the entry process but don't do the payment bit and weed them out of your list.

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »
Not all paypal entrants are being entered into the start sheet. In fact only 3 out of 6 are currently included.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2011, 06:38:32 pm »
I queried this with Pete the other day, and he put it down to both 'old' and 'new' versions of the AUK website being live at the same time.  Someone entering via the 'old' calendar page would not have been added, someone entering via the new one would be (even if in fact they then back out of the Pp transaction - does happen!). 
The new version of the site is steadily taking over via redirects.  Obviously Organisers of events upcoming in the next month or two are going to see mixed results, but after that I imagine it should look more reliable.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2011, 08:24:12 am »
Is the AUK paypal entry system available for perms? I note there are no paypal buttons on the perms list and a quick look at a few likely candidates seemed to indicate not although some organisers offer paypal via their own site but other than that it looks like postal entries only.

Billy Weir

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2011, 08:24:17 am »
Not sure who best to contact with this, as it's a question/request for AUK itself.

As a permanent organiser, I'd find it very useful to have the paypal facility extended to permanent events.  Combining online entry with a download facility for routesheets/notes etc would seem to me to be something of benefit to organisers and riders (the latter of which are increasingly leaving it late until they enter, on a couple of occasions not being able to ride because I've been on holiday and so not able to process their application).

An e-Brevet would also be helpful but may be a step too far at this stage (and create extra hassle for the webmeister, presumably).

Martin

« Reply #12 on: 19 October, 2011, 01:07:39 pm »
Warning;

don't mark your start list as a finish list until you've saved the addresses from the Excel spreadsheet so you can send the cards back to your Paypal entrants, once you've marked it as a finish list you lose them all

don't ask me how I know this  :-[

(goes off to spend hours on my Paypal account)