Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517632 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3825 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:20:16 pm »
I’ve made some arrangements for the ACME Alternative Arrow.  I have booked a (twin) room at the Sandford House Wetherspoons in Huntingdon for the night of Friday 10th April.
My plan is to replicate the 2018 Arrow route via Hitchin, enjoy the hospitality of the Falcon, stay the Friday night, ‘spoons breakfast in the morning then ride home by a TBD route.
If anyone is thinking similar, rooms are currently very reasonable at £39/night, probably similar to a train ticket home on the Friday. ‘Non-muddy’ bikes may be taken in to the room.

Shows how much you know, it's not £39 on the train, it's £40.20.

There is a train leaving Huntingdon at 21.19, arriving Colchester at 23.42 with one change at Peterborough.  If anyone else can't stay over, I could do it that way.  It's not very efficient compared to Huggy's version but I promised Mrs Shred a weekend away so perhaps I might have to wait until another broken arrow opportunity arises.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3826 on: 17 February, 2020, 07:37:17 pm »
I’ve made some arrangements for the ACME Alternative Arrow.  I have booked a (twin) room at the Sandford House Wetherspoons in Huntingdon for the night of Friday 10th April.
My plan is to replicate the 2018 Arrow route via Hitchin, enjoy the hospitality of the Falcon, stay the Friday night, ‘spoons breakfast in the morning then ride home by a TBD route.
If anyone is thinking similar, rooms are currently very reasonable at £39/night, probably similar to a train ticket home on the Friday. ‘Non-muddy’ bikes may be taken in to the room.

Jemango all booked in. I am really looking forward to this.
Perfect for my Nil Points, many Pints year  ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3827 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:01:47 pm »
Is it just me, or does Oscar's Dad's profile picture look more like Carlos than Carlos does?

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty, but incredibly handsome boy.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3828 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:29:07 am »
Is it just me, or does Oscar's Dad's profile picture look more like Carlos than Carlos does?

Who?  Me or you?  To be honest I think we're both absolutely stunning  :thumbsup:

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3829 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:58:16 am »

Who?  Me or you?  To be honest I think we're both absolutely stunning  :thumbsup:

:facepalm: In the context of you two the word "stunning" can only mean "to cause shock, astonishment or disbelief......"

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3830 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:16:02 am »

:facepalm: In the context of you two the word "stunning" can only mean "to cause shock, astonishment or disbelief......"

Only in so much as we're both amazing human beings   O:-)  There's 'fandango with his amazingly pert bottom and me with my Healing Hands TM  :smug:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3831 on: 20 February, 2020, 05:47:44 pm »
Right then, me 56th birthday party on Saturday 29th February, we have an itinerary.  The day has been divided into segments so you can pick and chose - just drop in for a bit or stay for the whole thing - you'll be most welcome.  It looks like this...

3pm until 5pm – Afternoon Tea!
- Who doesn’t like a French Fancy?
- We’ll provide the brew
- You bring Mr Kipling and friends

5pm until 7pm – Party Games!
- Rediscover your lost childhood!
- Old favourites
- New takes

7pm until 9pm – Mingle Time!
- Feeling peckish?  Fill up at the Pot Noodle Bar!
- Feeling creative?  Dive into the drinks cupboard and invent your own cocktail!  Prizes for the best (over 18s only)
- Feeling lonely?  Pop into the Man Cave for a chat with the bikes!  Fred, Dakota, BJ, Penelope and Victoria love company and are fantastic listeners

9pm onwards – The After Party!
- Try not to annoy the neighbours too much!

There will be some drinkipoos and things to eat but feel very free, freer than you've every felt before, free as a bird or a unicorn to bring drinks and food.

Any questions???

« Reply #3832 on: 23 February, 2020, 04:24:49 pm »
Will afternoon tea be child friendly. They're house trained and don't aften bite strangers

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3833 on: 23 February, 2020, 04:39:42 pm »
Will afternoon tea be child friendly. They're house trained and don't aften bite strangers

Most certainly!  We have one child attending already (not me). How old are your tiddlers?

« Reply #3834 on: 23 February, 2020, 06:29:23 pm »
8 and 6. Cool we will be along with some cake or similar

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3835 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:51:13 am »
Smashing!

« Reply #3836 on: 28 February, 2020, 04:52:42 pm »
It bothers me just how much you look like Bloomers in your Avatar Pic!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3837 on: 28 February, 2020, 06:51:33 pm »

And me as well, apparently. It must be an age thing, in ten years time, you tippers will look like us too.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3838 on: 28 February, 2020, 07:53:41 pm »

And me as well, apparently. It must be an age thing, in ten years time, you tippers will look like us too.

That must mean I could commit a heinous crime and blame you or bloomers!  Or vice versa I guess!

« Reply #3839 on: 02 March, 2020, 10:07:05 am »
OD thanks for the hosting Saturday. My children were rathe excited by the "magic pots" you gave them and had them for the last night.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3840 on: 02 March, 2020, 10:20:58 am »
OD thanks for the hosting Saturday. My children were rathe excited by the "magic pots" you gave them and had them for the last night.

Changing the world for the better one Pot Noodle at a time!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3841 on: 05 March, 2020, 07:42:55 pm »
Four of us out in the rain last night, though apparently it was easing from the west - Elliot and psyclist got off lightly, Grey Sheep set out then went back for the rainlegs, whereas I had only about 10 minutes proper stuff before it eased to gentle precipitation. I can report that the flood at the 'Uts is still there, and another at the foot of the climb to Widdington [yes, I did do some miles and not just tootle the three miles from home]. Nice to be home well before midnight for a change.

We sampled: Three Little Pigs [light and hoppy] from the Slaughterhouse Brewery in Warwick and Black Pig Porter [very Imperial Russian in style], Wantsum Brewery, St Nicholas at Wade, Kent. The plethora of porcines caused a little confusion with the ordering, even on this small scale, and not least to the barman, but both brews went down a treat. There was also Maldon Gold [no pigs involved]!

I have £1.50 in the kitty to hand on to the B.B. for the curry fund.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3842 on: 05 March, 2020, 09:03:02 pm »
Sounds like a good beer selection.  I probably benefited from a night off the booze, but my planned escape out today to make up didn't go to plan due to the forecast being wetter than the overcast it had promised - tomorrow is looking better but I am on MOT duty yet again  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3843 on: 06 March, 2020, 06:42:30 am »
Four of us out in the rain last night, though apparently it was easing from the west - Elliot and psyclist got off lightly, Grey Sheep set out then went back for the rainlegs, whereas I had only about 10 minutes proper stuff before it eased to gentle precipitation. I can report that the flood at the 'Uts is still there, and another at the foot of the climb to Widdington [yes, I did do some miles and not just tootle the three miles from home]. Nice to be home well before midnight for a change.

We sampled: Three Little Pigs [light and hoppy] from the Slaughterhouse Brewery in Warwick and Black Pig Porter [very Imperial Russian in style], Wantsum Brewery, St Nicholas at Wade, Kent. The plethora of porcines caused a little confusion with the ordering, even on this small scale, and not least to the barman, but both brews went down a treat. There was also Maldon Gold [no pigs involved]!

I have £1.50 in the kitty to hand on to the B.B. for the curry fund.

Well done Tomsk and co.  I can't make next week either, I'm away with work  ::-)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3844 on: 10 March, 2020, 03:27:39 pm »

the lucky bastard

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3845 on: 10 March, 2020, 03:57:07 pm »

the lucky bastard

Perhaps we’re twins separated at birth!  Should we do a DNA test?

« Reply #3846 on: 10 March, 2020, 04:01:34 pm »
I wouldn't recommend it - so many of the things you like to do are only permitted for higher primates.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3847 on: 10 March, 2020, 04:10:15 pm »
I wouldn't recommend it - so many of the things you like to do are only permitted for higher primates.

I doubt that very much!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3848 on: 15 March, 2020, 09:23:03 am »
A bit last minute I know but I’m planning on bimbling over to the Pop Up Compasses this lunchtime. Not sure when I’ll set off from Witham but if you fancy meeting up let me know.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3849 on: 21 March, 2020, 06:58:28 pm »
My first 'Socially Isolated' ride. Just 50 miles down to Maldon and back, with a flask of coffee and some snacks, though the kiosk by the lake in Promenade Park was doing takeaways and the baker's and various other places in town were open too.

Quite a few people on bikes (as opposed to enthusiasts), taking advantage of the sunshine and quiet roads. Runners, walkers, horse-riders too. I was caught by a club group, well spread out, on North Hill, managing to keep pace, sort of, with the mid-tail-enders. I should add I was on the very solid Kona Lava Dome hub geared tourer/commuter/rough-stuffer, with well stocked Carradice Camper saddlebag.

I got the impression that there were a lot of good vibes about, among all on the roads.