Author Topic: ICE and Bacchetta  (Read 4593 times)

ICE and Bacchetta
« on: 04 June, 2020, 07:38:08 pm »
Can anybody tell me, an elderly, slow touring type, a reason for having an ICE Trice and a Bacchetta Giro 20 before my wife mentions it, please?
Do they complement one another in any way?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: ICE and Bacchetta
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:06:53 pm »
Obviously the Ice trike is for winter use especially when its near freezing, hence the name, simples....self preservation innit.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:16:07 pm »
Obviously the Ice trike is for winter use especially when its near freezing, hence the name, simples....self preservation innit.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:17:18 pm »
Meanwhile the Bacchetta is more efficient, better at narrow paths and more train-friendly.

« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:08:07 pm »
They are very different bikes and very different experiences.  It's like asking "why do you need more than one outfit?".

Are these your only two bikes or are they just your only two recumbents?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:33:22 pm »
Shirley anyone who asks "why do you need another/more than one bike?" is the kind of person you take a precautionary step back from?

I don't own one (yet) but I would have a recumbent trike as a general runabout/luggage lugger (probably also winter use) vs the S40 as an audax/tourer bike. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2020, 06:17:07 am »
Shirley anyone who asks "why do you need another/more than one bike?" is the kind of person you take a precautionary step back from?

A bit late for stepping back, in another four weeks it is our 50th. :)

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2020, 06:18:07 am »

That's a lovely pic.

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2020, 06:40:21 am »
They are very different bikes and very different experiences.  It's like asking "why do you need more than one outfit?".

Are these your only two bikes or are they just your only two recumbents?
My only two recumbents - the Bacchetta has a motor to account for the age of my knees and the Trice will be having one.
There is a worn out Kingcycle in my shed but I am not sure that I actually own it.

I also have a small selection of uprights, folding and fixed frame, although a recurrence of Carpal Tunnel syndrome is making an upright painful at about 20 miles plus.

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:13:38 pm »
So if you really need more shed space the DFs would be the ones to go (although a second shed would be easier)

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2020, 03:59:51 pm »
Having both makes you happy and needs no further elaboration.

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2020, 04:24:26 pm »
So if you really need more shed space the DFs would be the ones to go (although a second shed would be easier)

I'm ok for storage space with long, narrow garage and a 10' by 10' shed up the garden. I've a small cellar as well and I found a partial Dawes non folding Shopper down there yesterday. I'd forgotten that.

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2020, 04:25:29 pm »
Having both makes you happy and needs no further elaboration.
Now, that is a good answer.  :D

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2020, 05:50:19 pm »
I went out to do final adjustments in a gap between showers and I think I have found the reason for having a Trice.
It isn't terribly different to the reason I part exchanged my last Bacchetta against a new Trice in 2009.
As I set off I was working into a strong westerly wind and I was badly blown about. When I turned south it was no better for being a cross wind and I never felt comfortable with my weaving on the road.
Now, that doesn't happen on a low slung three wheeler, does it?

« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:27:20 am »
I fell off yesterday.
Toppled over at a T junction. Lesson remembered from the past: if the junction may be blind, stop, put both feet down and look before proceeding.
I ended up going so slow that as I realised I couldn't see safely to my left I toppled over. The feet remembered what to do and the mind flashed 'it isn't far to go' and over I went.
It wasn't even slow motion; I didn't have time to polish my parachute roll although it would have been difficult with the bike between my legs.

I phoned Cycleman because he lends a sympathetic ear while he is laughing, and I felt ok.
An hour later I am sleeping and feeling distinctly unwell. The bikes 8 year old frame seems fine but my 70 plus frame is telling me that it resents unexpected meetings with the ground!  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2020, 09:49:12 am »
Stabilizers needed  :demon: ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2020, 10:05:51 am »

« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2020, 10:32:26 am »
No need to justify having both, just remind her of her wedding vow's.

Specifically the "Love, Honor & OBEY" part.

Then 'RUN LIKE 'ELL' and don't forget the flowers/box of chocolates when you return (much, much later).

« Reply #18 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:16:17 pm »
Ouch!  Sorry to hear that.

« Reply #19 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:44:20 pm »
No need to justify having both, just remind her of her wedding vow's.

Specifically the "Love, Honor & OBEY" part.

Then 'RUN LIKE 'ELL' and don't forget the flowers/box of chocolates when you return (much, much later).

You haven't been married long, I'd bet.
I started with flattery (my mother told me it was cheap), progressed to flowers but nowadays have to atone with jewellery  :)

« Reply #20 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:45:13 pm »
Ouch!  Sorry to hear that.
Thanks

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21 on: 06 June, 2020, 02:24:53 pm »
I think we can all say BTDT, glad no lasting damage by the sounds of it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 06 June, 2020, 02:30:11 pm »
I think we can all say BTDT, glad no lasting damage by the sounds of it.

Quite.

It's been a while since I've done it through pure incompetence, but you never know when you're going to come across a bit of road that your shoe unexpectedly fails to grip on.  Happened to me last week (you know, the middle of the massive dry spell).  Fortunately I was able to get the other foot down in time.

« Reply #23 on: 06 June, 2020, 03:18:01 pm »
I fell off yesterday.
Toppled over at a T junction. Lesson remembered from the past: if the junction may be blind, stop, put both feet down and look before proceeding.
I ended up going so slow that as I realised I couldn't see safely to my left I toppled over. The feet remembered what to do and the mind flashed 'it isn't far to go' and over I went.
It wasn't even slow motion; I didn't have time to polish my parachute roll although it would have been difficult with the bike between my legs.

I phoned Cycleman because he lends a sympathetic ear while he is laughing, and I felt ok.
An hour later I am sleeping and feeling distinctly unwell. The bikes 8 year old frame seems fine but my 70 plus frame is telling me that it resents unexpected meetings with the ground!  ;D

Whoops. I hope you aren't too bruised!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 06 June, 2020, 03:36:46 pm »

I'm ok for storage space with long, narrow garage and a 10' by 10' shed up the garden. I've a small cellar as well and I found a partial Dawes non folding Shopper down there yesterday. I'd forgotten that.
Now that beats even Blodwyn Pig's finds.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.