Author Topic: Turbo trainer  (Read 13183 times)

Turbo trainer
« on: 17 March, 2020, 10:18:42 am »
Have an old Elite realpower trainer its about 12 years old, whats a good one today. Its been faultless apart from starting up, sometimes takes 3 or 4 attempts to connect to the computer. Anyone using the Elite Drivo ones? Or whats another good one, dont want computer generated images on the screen, old one has video climbs.

Re: Turbo trainer
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2020, 01:08:11 pm »
We have Drivos and the cave looks like this:

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2020, 02:32:54 pm »
You basically have a choice of wheel on or wheel off. If you have the cash, go for wheel off as they are quieter and don't wear down your tyres (assuming your bike will fit - check for through axle compatibility etc depending on what you want to put on there).

After that, there are a few brands that are reputable - Elite are one of those. The best place to check out reviews is probably https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/the-smart-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter-2019-2020.html - DC Rainmaker knows his stuff. How you control your smart trainer is up to you - there are quite a few platforms, and a basic one will probably come free with your trainer.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2020, 04:57:53 pm »
I bought a StacZero Halcyon last year - wheel on, uses magnetic induction on the wheel, with some weights on the spokes.  I connect it to the Tacx software via ANT+.  Instead of swapping wheel weights on and off, I have a tyreless wheel that I swap in an out.

It's bloody quiet, just the noise of the chain and your breathing tortured gasping for air
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2020, 09:06:54 pm »
Stac got bought by 4iiii's last year. There is a 4iiii's version of that trainer out, which has some cool developments, but also some disappointing power limitations. I was reading the DC Rainmaker review today as it popped up and they are such a neat idea...

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2020, 06:21:00 am »
Stac got bought by 4iiii's last year. There is a 4iiii's version of that trainer out, which has some cool developments, but also some disappointing power limitations. I was reading the DC Rainmaker review today as it popped up and they are such a neat idea...

When you say disappointing power limitations?

I don't think that will apply to me with my paltry 3.2 W/kg ftp

« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2020, 07:54:21 am »
I've been on the elite ones and they are lovely. However, I got a tacx neo - done 17,000km on it. Whatever you get, if you are doing lots of miles on it, it's probably not worth skimping. Mine can simulate 25% climbs and has roadfeel surface simultion. Sounds like you don't need any of that. Still, they do feel different - the Neo is deliberately flexy, which is good for carbon, but like rocker plates, requires some adjustment if you sprint.

« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2020, 10:22:07 am »
The Elite drivo 2 has good reviews, same gradient max as old one. The videos are important as i get bored easily, not interested in CGI. Less space taken up with no rear wheel, that's a plus and just found out its mac compatible unlike the old turbo. Wonder if the demand for turbos have shot up as i don't want for ages if not in stock. If i get back from Spain will look for a good price.

« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2020, 11:01:33 am »
Elite Suito appears to currently deliver best bang for buck, very happy with mine

« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:31:17 pm »

When you say disappointing power limitations?

I don't think that will apply to me with my paltry 3.2 W/kg ftp
Depends how heavy you are. DC Rainmaker seems to think that for someone with an FTP much above 200W, VO2 and anaerobic intervals might be an issue: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/12/4iiii-fliiiight-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html

ElyDave

« Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2020, 01:50:39 pm »
70kg, so FTP around 220-230W, intervals I'm normally peaking around 250-300W.  The odd thing is at start up as the wheel is moving slow, the magnets move closer adn then back off, so you can end up doing a peak wattage of 4-500 just to get going and then sit at a steady 150-200 for the rest of an hour.

I bought it partly on the basis of ability to use with the FWD 'bent based on another forum, but also reading DCRainmaker's earlier review when they were still StacZero

« Reply #11 on: 18 March, 2020, 03:14:06 pm »
I've been on the elite ones and they are lovely. However, I got a tacx neo - done 17,000km on it. Whatever you get, if you are doing lots of miles on it, it's probably not worth skimping. Mine can simulate 25% climbs and has roadfeel surface simultion. Sounds like you don't need any of that. Still, they do feel different - the Neo is deliberately flexy, which is good for carbon, but like rocker plates, requires some adjustment if you sprint.

I have a Neo (though it's about to get loaned out) - the flexiness bothers me, but that might be because I'm used to really solid static bikes.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2020, 04:11:07 pm »
I miss my old Tacx Speedbreaker, which was a PROPER turbo trainer...just a centrifugal fan and a flywheel.  It was noisy but it did a pretty good job of simulating real-world resistance.  The magnetic thing I have now is rough by comparison, if quieter.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:28:27 am »
I miss my old Tacx Speedbreaker, which was a PROPER turbo trainer...just a centrifugal fan and a flywheel.  It was noisy but it did a pretty good job of simulating real-world resistance.  The magnetic thing I have now is rough by comparison, if quieter.

You could always buy yourself an old Concept 2 rower and join WJ in the workshop

« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2020, 12:41:53 pm »
No new Wahoo trainers to buy anywhere and ebay prices have rocketed.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2020, 03:37:23 pm »
I have a KICKR just finished it’s 3rd winter and it’s been solid , I do though find it very stiff and have to use more cadence than on the road 100 or more or it tends to hurt my knees/hips so I would try a Neo if I was getting another .

« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2020, 03:44:45 pm »
I would try a Neo if I was getting another .

Also sold out everywhere online  :(
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2020, 10:55:42 am »
Bought a Drivo 2, good price saved £500. Set up the turbo, wheel circumference etc, 1st run i am a superstar ( no way) . Downloaded a climb (Sierra Nevada ski road up to the petrol station at 16km stopped there as its 27km total. ) and checked against the same section of the climb on Strava (real world) a lot faster on the turbo🤔. Reset the turbo to get the times similar for climb. Zwift has a default setting of 50%, so if its up to you to set resistance whats the point of signing up for races.

« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2020, 11:50:17 am »
Scroll down to the comments on the link, 1st comment sums it up. 😂

ElyDave

« Reply #20 on: 25 March, 2020, 06:34:48 am »
Bought a Drivo 2, good price saved £500. Set up the turbo, wheel circumference etc, 1st run i am a superstar ( no way) . Downloaded a climb (Sierra Nevada ski road up to the petrol station at 16km stopped there as its 27km total. ) and checked against the same section of the climb on Strava (real world) a lot faster on the turbo🤔. Reset the turbo to get the times similar for climb. Zwift has a default setting of 50%, so if its up to you to set resistance whats the point of signing up for races.

Did you update your strava time? ;)

« Reply #21 on: 25 March, 2020, 05:53:29 pm »
If it was possible all the Tour, Vuelta, and other grand tour climbs on Strava would be populated by fat computer geeks and achieved while stuffing their face with burgers and coke😄

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: 25 March, 2020, 06:00:19 pm »
Oh it’s possible as the GPS track generated looks no different to if you’d done it outdoors. It’s just the way it is submitted to Strava that means it appears under a virtual ride. I’m sure there’s a few out there populating KOM as some of times seem barely credible for uphill segments.

Davef

« Reply #23 on: 25 March, 2020, 07:40:59 pm »
I can provide a service to fine tune your gpx files. I call the process Electronic Positional Optimisation or EPO for short. Email over the activity gpx and the % time improvement  requirement and a suitable wad of cash and I will send it back in a jiffy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:09:43 pm »
I can provide a service to fine tune your gpx files. I call the process Electronic Positional Optimisation or EPO for short. Email over the activity gpx and the % time improvement  requirement and a suitable wad of cash and I will send it back in a jiffy.

There used to be a site called Digital-EPO that used to do just that. It's gone but here's the yacf thread about it: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103488
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."