Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518539 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
You get the one from the other, or vice-versa.

I found three wild/alpine strawbs in our garden this afternoon, so ner! We had loads last year but the beds have got a bit overgrown so the strawberry plants have been swamped.

Drat.  Betcha we could make more nettle tea, though.  Our piddly B&D weed whacker won't touch them and I can't start a Briggs & Stratton Frustration Device with my duff shoulder. They should make one you can start with an electric drill.

Anyway.... on the Food & Drink front, I discovered that banana and lemon sorbets go wonderfully together. Nom (de dieu).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
There's a place in Aberdeen that does an affogato with Brew Dog's Tokyo stout and a good vanilla ice cream, it works
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have been given some chocolate.
The ingredients are in many languages, but none is English.
How can 'myrtille' be 'intense'?
Blåbær seem bland to me!
But I do like chocolate...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I was making spagbol tonight. Opened the tinned toms and a split second before I plopped them in the pan I noticed they looked a bit odd. Turns out Sainsbury's had given me a tin of baked beans instead. That could have been a bit of a culinary disaster....  :sick:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
In the dim & distant past, budget tins of food were unillustrated and all looked similar.
House guest thought the tin contained rice pudding but beans were inside.
We now call baked beans 'red rice pudding'...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Didn't Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds do a song about that?

ian

As I student, when I lived in the most salubrious Liverpool postcodes, our local cheap food store used to sell the tins the paper labels had fallen off for 2p. So you got a mystery tin that could have been anything from dog food to baked beans. Every meal was like a wildly disappointing Christmas. Some of the stuff in those tins, to be honest, we weren't sure if it was human or animal food, or in the case of meat stew in a can, whether the distinction really applied.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
The young woman  sitting opposite me on the train is drinking from a coconut. The coconut is a real, grown on a tree job but is fitted with a ring pull.

<boggle>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
That strikes me as both a neat idea and kind of pointless. It's a neat idea because if you open the drinking coconut the conventional way, by poking out one of the three eyes or lopping off one end, you have to drink it all there and then. It's pointless because non-fresh coconut is barely worth drinking. But even if it was picked yesterday and flown in this morning (at what expense?!??!?), it's still pointless because in this heat you might as well just drink the whole thing anyway. And once you've drunk it you'll probably want to get at the soft, white, nutritious flesh, which means you're going to have to hack it open.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I just put a cherry in my mouth without looking at it and it turned out to be so off that it tasted like an olive.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Also. Ew...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Chris S

I just put a cherry in my mouth without looking at it and it turned out to be so off that it tasted like an olive.

First World Fail.

Never ever put anything in your mouth you can't (a) identify, (b) verify and (c) All the other fucking fies you can think of!  :o

The mouth is the Final Frontier. I don't even let my own fucking fingers in, unless I know in precise detail their previous 24 hour history.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
But you are weird  ;)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

The mouth is the Final Frontier. I don't even let my own fucking fingers in, unless I know in precise detail their previous 24 hour history.
This can be disappointing.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I won a £200 Red Letter Day voucher and spent some of it on a 12 month subscription to The Spicery's curry club. My first box arrived today - several packets of freshly ground spices and a recipe for Vietnamese curry with pepper tofu and cha bap ran.

(I spent the rest of it on a 5 month subscription to Montezuma's chocolate box delivery scheme, with instructions the boxes should go to North Kensington fire station).
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

(I spent the rest of it on a 5 month subscription to Montezuma's chocolate box delivery scheme, with instructions the boxes should go to North Kensington fire station).
[/quote]

Classy  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Munching on peppermint leaves in an effort to combat wot I ate last night (Pasta with raw garlic, basil) I discover that it is rather pleasant and slightly addictive. There is a mid-chomp bitterness to get through, but the aromatics are worth it. Can you OD, I wonder?

I've just found a pack of sun dried tomatoes in the back of a cupboard...... use by 2014...... :facepalm:   Time for a clear out.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
They'll be fine.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

They'll be fine.

I ate oysters yesterday, that's my risky food adventure for this week!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
They'll be fine.

Ooh err.  I do believe that there is no  'R' in the month.   :o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

They'll be fine.

Ooh err.  I do believe that there is no  'R' in the month.   :jurek:

Well I [/size]ate'nt dea...........[/color]

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

T42

• Apprentice geezer
They'll be fine.

Ooh err.  I do believe that there is no  'R' in the month.   :o

Last time I ate oysters was ~30 years ago, at a Nordsee shop in Stuttgart.  I spent half the night sitting on the loo with a bucket under my face.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight