Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518470 times)

ian

Shittenkittens! I'm going to have to drink my gin neat.

I'm not drinking Fever-Tree as its not very good.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
It's lemonade
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

It is weirdly anaemic. I want enough quinine to cure an elephant of malaria.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
It's for people who don't like the taste of tonic water.
Surely that's half the point of a G&T.

ian

It's also weirdly flat, surely the point of G&T is that the bitterness complements the gin and it's fizzy and lively. Still, they evidently have good marketing. Schweppes have it figured out, we don't need 'artisan' topic water brands. Be gone!

nicknack

• Hornblower
Aldi tonic FTW.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
There's no chocolate in the house.
😱

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Shittenkittens! I'm going to have to drink my gin neat.

I'm not drinking Fever-Tree as its not very good.

Forts and prayers

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
😱

Poor prep or did one of the beasts steal it?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
I have some baby octopii (do do do do) under oil and wondering if I should just eat them out of the jar on baguette?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
😱

Poor prep or did one of the beasts steal it?

It took Cocoa Runners so long to stop fucking up after we moved that I didn't reinstate my monthly subscription (once they'd finally cancelled it) in disgust, which I couldn't keep up with anyway, and the stuff I was given for chrimbo is now gone. There's nothing worth having from Sainsbo's.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4336 on: 12 February, 2022, 05:40:26 pm »
It's for people who don't like the taste of tonic water.
Surely that's half the point of a G&T.

Hmmm. Yes and no… I had an argument with my sister over this once - she complained that the G&T I mixed for her didn’t have enough tonic in it. She basically likes it diluted enough that you can no longer taste the gin... OTOH, I agree that you do want the tonic to actually taste of *something*, to complement the gin.

I think that’s why people like Fever Tree - you can pretend to like G&T without liking either gin or tonic.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
Aren't G&Ts supposed to be half and half?

Or is that just me?

citoyen

A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #4338 on: 12 February, 2022, 06:16:03 pm »

Or is that just me?

That’s roughly what I aim for. Maybe slightly over half tonic, but only slightly. Not that I ever measure. Just pour and adjust to taste.

You want the combination of fizz, sugar* and quinine to bring out the favour of the gin, not drown it.

* “slimline” tonic can fuck off as well

nicknack

• Hornblower

Or is that just me?

That’s roughly what I aim for. Maybe slightly over half tonic, but only slightly. Not that I ever measure. Just pour and adjust to taste.

You want the combination of fizz, sugar* and quinine to bring out the favour of the gin, not drown it.

Indeed.

Or is that just me?

Indeed.
That’s the reason I got fever tree: it doesn’t taste of aspartame.

ian

I confess we use slimline tonic, I don't like the taste of sugar. For two, add 50 ml of gin, and then split one little can (I think they're 125ml) between them, I think that's about half and half. It's some kind of crime against humanity to put a splash of gin in a glass and add about 250 ml of tonic. If I'm paying £40 for a bottle of gin, I want to taste the bloody stuff.

Indeed.

That’s the reason I got fever tree: it doesn’t taste of aspartame.

Hallelujah, brothers and sisters, testify! Holy chuff, but I despise non-sugar sweeteners. Now since the sugar levy has been introduced, the 'standard' (non-diet) versions are frequently laden with the stuff too, so they can fly under under the sugar limit and avoid a price-hike. I imagined the tax was going to increase prices to discourage excess consumption, rather than force a reformulation to maintain it. Very naïve of me, I know.

So although Fever Tree and a handful of others are available in the fizzy-mixers market, I can't get bloody cranberry juice.

I think that’s why people like Fever Tree - you can pretend to like G&T without liking either gin or tonic.

I actually don't mind Fever Tree when I do drink tonic (and it's vastly preferable to the brands now ruined with sweetener), although most of the gin I drink is in the form of Martinis. But I do rather get the impression that the fashion for gin drinking is largely that: a fashion. It seems a bit odd that this now enormous sector of booze manufacture - which sells itself on carefully crafted balances of flavour - should be routinely consumed heavily diluted with pop. If that's how you like it then fair enough, it's your drink, but I can't imagine most people are thus able to discern the complexities of flavour that they're told they should be enjoying.

I quite like gin neat.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Jenever. Jenever is the answer. No tonic required.

citoyen

But I do rather get the impression that the fashion for gin drinking is largely that: a fashion.

Quite.

I quite like gin neat.

Yes, I do like a well-made martini. ;)

Jenever. Jenever is the answer. No tonic required.

I don't think I've ever had jenever. In fact, I don't really know what it is, tbh. I have an idea in my head that it's a gin liqueur, but that's probably wrong. Go on, tell me.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

I don't think I've ever had jenever. In fact, I don't really know what it is, tbh. I have an idea in my head that it's a gin liqueur, but that's probably wrong. Go on, tell me.

As per the link, it's a drink ;)

If you get the opportunity, I would suggest trying it. It's not as if it is entirely groundbreaking, but it is in a different direction that the flowery palate of botanicals that stalk the UK gin scene. if you've tried good vodka (which will probably have been tasted in a USSR aligned state), it's closer to that - designed to be drunk on its own. A jonge jenever over ice is very accessible, but an oude on its own (rather like what is clutched in  my paw at the present moment) is very, very good.