Author Topic: Blue tit tapping on the window  (Read 5235 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Blue tit tapping on the window
« on: 20 February, 2010, 08:53:32 am »
Last year we were confused by a strange tapping sound on our kitchen window and also the upstairs spare room window. Eventually we discovered it was a blue tit who just seemed to tap on the glass.

Well he's just been back, tapping on the kitchen window again. He doesn't seem to be pulling mastic out or anything, he's just tapping on the glass. Any ideas why?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Re: Blue tit tapping on the window
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2010, 11:27:10 am »
A few years ago we had a bullfinch who repeatedly attacked his own reflection in the glass of the patio doors!

« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2010, 06:48:29 pm »
Last year we were confused by a strange tapping sound on our kitchen window and also the upstairs spare room window. Eventually we discovered it was bloody Greta Garbo.

Robins are really the ones for that though. Extremely territorial and very, very aggressive.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2010, 11:03:10 pm »
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
There's no vibrations, but wait.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2010, 10:55:32 pm »
Chaffinches do this too - one year at Centerparcs we were serenaded all week by the happy smack-smack-thump - pause - smack-smack-bang-thump of a chaffinch trying to murder its reflection in the patio doors.

Not the sharpest tools in the drawer.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2010, 10:50:09 am »
Last year we were confused by a strange tapping sound on our kitchen window and also the upstairs spare room window. Eventually we discovered it was a blue tit who just seemed to tap on the glass.

Well he's just been back, tapping on the kitchen window again. He doesn't seem to be pulling mastic out or anything, he's just tapping on the glass. Any ideas why?
Is he asking for food? My mum used to have a robin in the garden which would tap the window if she hadn't put food out.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2010, 10:58:34 am »

I don't mind them tapping at the window.  It's the dragging of their nails down the glass that I can't stand.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:19:20 pm »
He hasn't been back for a bit - but I doubt it was tapping for food as there was plenty out there.

No doubt he'll be back though. There are two very nice nest boxes near the windows but no-one used them last year.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:21:19 pm »
The tit had been invaded by an alien ..... do you know Morse?
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:23:11 pm »
only SOS and he didn't seem to be tapping that!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2010, 07:53:57 am »
Well I am sitting here at the computer looking out the window at the back and a chaffinch has landed on the windowsill and is looking in the window at me, tipping his head to get a better view, and tapping on the window once or twice. He did it yesterday too. Really cute!

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2010, 08:03:52 am »
We've got a greenfinch that's been knocking 7 bells out of himself on the glass of the kitchen wondow for several weeks

He seems to have calmed down a bit now, I'm pleased to say. It was very aggressive, so I think maybe he was being territorial with his own reflection...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2010, 10:12:15 am »
Couple of weekends ago when we were staying near Portmahomack a male peacock at the hostel started pecking the hell out of our car door because it could see it's reflection in the dark paint.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2010, 12:43:42 pm »
Well I am sitting here at the computer looking out the window at the back and a chaffinch has landed on the windowsill and is looking in the window at me, tipping his head to get a better view, and tapping on the window once or twice. He did it yesterday too. Really cute!
You've pulled a bird!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.