Author Topic: Simon Yates (Orica Greenedge) tests positive  (Read 4639 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Simon Yates (Orica Greenedge) tests positive
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2016, 07:25:07 am »
Is he related to the Simon Yates who did Siula Grande with Joe Simpson?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2016, 07:35:19 am »
Maybe the detail is worth considering. Team doctor gave asthma inhaler but failed to complete the TUE. Sensational ...... Probably not.

Now we will have links to the BC story etc etc. Hey ho

IJL

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2016, 08:30:38 am »
The report states that the team Dr "takes responsibility", I'm not sure it works like that, the responsibility lies with the athlete however much the Dr screwed up.  If Yates has had a TUE for terbutaline in the past he has a good case, if he has no previous hx of asthma he's in trouble. 

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2016, 08:33:09 am »
It amazes me how many pro cyclists have asthma. Is there something about the sport (other than a need to cheat) which induces it?

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2016, 08:45:55 am »
It amazes me how many pro cyclists have asthma. Is there something about the sport (other than a need to cheat) which induces it?

^This. And blaming the athlete allows the team to sidestep the fact that they prescribe the "medicines".

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2016, 09:01:44 am »
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/froome-sky-respond-inhaler-video-125751

I read on another forum that 1 in 3 pro cyclists suffers from asthma! According to Asthma UK 1 in 11 of the population suffers from asthma. One poster suggested that if more people in the UK  took some exercise the proportion would be higher.

It could be that we all suffer to some degree but below a measurable threshold - for athletes then a marginal gain could be achieved by alleviating that minor symptom.

Changing tack slightly if I've understood the article below then a TUE is not required for low (less than 16 puffs per day) usage of salumbutol

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/froome-sky-respond-inhaler-video-125751

IJL

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2016, 09:01:52 am »
Terbutaline  is a similar drug to salbutamol and is used fairly widely, some people prefer a dry powder inhaler but as far as I know there no particular advantage between the 2 in terms of managing asthma.  In terms of sport however salbutamol does not require a TUE as long as no more than 1600mcg's are used over 24 hrs. 

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2016, 11:50:33 am »
It's a complete non-story.  He declared the drug on his doping control form!  Not exactly trying to cheat the system.  The OGE doctor forgot to apply for the TUE.  That's all it is.  I can't see him being suspended for this.

The real questions here are:
1.  Why so many TUEs?  This is obviously the new, grey area of "legal" PEDs.
2.  Who leaked / why did they leak the positive?  The athlete is supposed to remain anonymous until the sanction is handed out.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2016, 12:06:17 pm »

2.  Who leaked / why did they leak the positive?  The athlete is supposed to remain anonymous until the sanction is handed out.

I wouldn't like to speculate. but Lee might:

Christ... British Cycling are currently making Chelsea FC look like a model of stability.

Simon Yates's positive test couldn't be timed better.

:demon:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2016, 12:35:40 pm »
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:12:20 pm »
No suspension from UCI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36169275

Pity it is not getting the prominence on the website that the initial story was given.

Some seem very keen to condem before looking at all the information.

It's a complete non-story.  He declared the drug on his doping control form!  Not exactly trying to cheat the system.  The OGE doctor forgot to apply for the TUE.  That's all it is.  I can't see him being suspended for this.

^^^ Good post.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:20:23 pm »

Two factors spring to mind:

1. Cycling (along with swimming) is an activity recommended to asthmatics.  There may be a disproportionate number of asthmatics among cyclists generally.

b.  Exertion of the level required of a pro cyclist is likely to highlight exercise-induced asthma which might not otherwise be discovered.

But bikenrrd is absolutely right.  No story.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:22:30 pm »

Two factors spring to mind:

1. Cycling (along with swimming) is an activity recommended to asthmatics.  There may be a disproportionate number of asthmatics among cyclists generally.

Well-known effect amongst swimmers, I thought.

« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:27:16 pm »
And at 1324 the 'old' story is still being covered on BBC News. Clearly, they could not change the 'schedule'.

Shabby.

« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:36:03 pm »

There is a good article on the Guardian (where else?) about this:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/29/elite-athletes-asthma-simon-yates-team-sky-swimmers

Basically saying that there is a high rate of asthma amongst swimmers because the chlorine in the atmosphere aggravates or can induce asthma,; and for cyclists it is breathing in cold air in large volumes that does it for them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:46:20 pm »
As opposed to all those other sports that involve breathing a lot outdoors?

« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:56:09 pm »

According to the Guardian OGE are upset with British Cycling for leaking the news without Yates getting proper process i.e. his name not being plastered all over the press until the B sample and explanation to the UCI for the omission by the doctor. This was apparently due to happen today according to the normal process for such things and not because his name was leaked.

Perhaps BC were trying to deflect some attention!

« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2016, 01:59:43 pm »
As opposed to all those other sports that involve breathing a lot outdoors?

They do say that Paula Radcliffe is also asthmatic as a result of all that heavy breathing outdoors.  Obviously it wont affect footballers as they don't have to run that hard, but I guess any endurance sport is going to be susceptible. I can't remember exactly what the article said now, it was more than 15 minutes ago that I read it, but perhaps it does need to be read with the additional pinch of salt.  At least it wasn't in the Mail, so it might be based on some facts, if not all of them.

« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2016, 02:13:17 pm »
Talking of facts, or lack of...

This might be a made up statistic but I'm sure it was said David Beckham would run up to 15km in a match and presumably more in training. Nearly a half marathon every week could be considered as running quite hard.

I wonder if it is more to do with the amount of sports science and personal doctors applied to sports such as cycling, swimming or long distance running that more athletes are picked up with having this whereas footballers, tennis players et al just get on with it?

« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2016, 03:06:28 pm »
Talking of facts, or lack of...

This might be a made up statistic but I'm sure it was said David Beckham would run up to 15km in a match and presumably more in training. Nearly a half marathon every week could be considered as running quite hard.

I wonder if it is more to do with the amount of sports science and personal doctors applied to sports such as cycling, swimming or long distance running that more athletes are picked up with having this whereas footballers, tennis players et al just get on with it?

But tennis and football tend to be short explosive efforts. I do wonder if its actually part of the body's defence mechanism against damaging efforts but IANAD or sports scientist...just idle speculation.

« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2016, 03:11:24 pm »
I can't see footballers "just getting on with it" as most of them burst into tears if the ball hits their shin and they all seem to fall over in the most spectacular way if another player comes within 3 feet of them.

« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2016, 03:17:05 pm »
I think you also have to look at how long the exercise takes place and there is no comparison between football and road cycling.

« Reply #23 on: 29 April, 2016, 03:22:38 pm »
This might be in the same vein as all those archery and shooting competitors that seem to have cardiac issues requiring beta-blockers .....

« Reply #24 on: 29 April, 2016, 03:43:22 pm »
I think you also have to look at how long the exercise takes place and there is no comparison between football and road cycling.

That was my point. I think there is more research and interest from science based around what the body is capable of over long duration endurance sports whereas most reasonably fit people can run around a football pitch for 90 minutes in short sharp bursts so of less interest to science so less footballers are given inhalers.

I can't see footballers "just getting on with it" as most of them burst into tears if the ball hits their shin and they all seem to fall over in the most spectacular way if another player comes within 3 feet of them.

That's nothing to do with being unfit or even incapable of taking part in the sport. It's based around gaining an advantage. Either slowing or stopping play for long enough to make a tactical change or run the clock down or 'falling' to gain a free kick or penalty when the scoring opportunity is lost.

Different debate and ethically questionable within the rules of the game but it happens and not all that dissimilar to finding a medicine not on the banned list that provides an advantage perhaps....