Author Topic: Upcoming waypoint warning distance  (Read 1515 times)

Upcoming waypoint warning distance
« on: 07 February, 2010, 12:00:48 am »
I rode my first audax with the GPS (Etrex HCx) today. Everything seemed fine (using Francis's recommended settings mainly). I'm navigating a route with routesheet style instructions at turning waypoints in off-road mode. I'd like to increase the distance of the advance warning for an upcoming waypoint (it seemed to be 25m or less) but I'm blowed if I can find this setting now. I thought I've seen such a setting but maybe I'm imagining it - anybody know if it exists & where it is?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Upcoming waypoint warning distance
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2010, 09:04:46 am »
I assume that was the Beacon ? .... I was supposed to be there but going to the theatre in Leicester the night before didn't let the time work :-((

How did you get the route into the GPS? ..... if it was plotted out on mapping software the trick I use to get the bleeps ahead of time is to put the waypoint marker just short of the junction (if that makes sense) - i.e. if there's a turn put the marker on the road before it - if the mapping is displayed at a big scale when you plot it's easy to do.

(If you want to PM an e-mail addy I'll send you the .gpx I made for the Beacon ride and you can see what I mean)

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2010, 10:55:25 am »
Yes Rob, I did the Snowdrop. Sorry you couldn't make it, we had a good day. A few on the earlier Sunrise came to grief on what could have been the only patch of ice in Worcestershire but I think all were OK.

I used waypoints at each turn with follow road off in Bikehike. What you suggest is the solution I'll use next time but I could have sworn when I was setting it up I saw a setting for how many meters advance warning - maybe I'm thinking about something else though.

Steve

The Mechanic

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:28:56 pm »
In the main menu there is an icon for "proximity"  This should allow you to set the distance to waypoints for alarms etc.  However, notethat if you do not have any saved waypoints, you can't set proximity levels.

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:45:16 pm »
I spotted that but it seems to refer to waypoints for specific landmarks (each of which can have their own defined proximity radius) as opposed to waypoints on routes.

The Mechanic

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:47:51 pm »
You are right.  I have just been checking and I am a bit flumoxed a well.  I will keep playing.  I am sure I set it when I first got my Vista HCX.

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2010, 05:32:57 pm »
My conclusion is that on road navigation warning distances are built in to the maps, so it varies with roas type and urban/rural.
Country roads seem to warn at 700m/350m, but in town it's more like 40/20

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2010, 05:46:01 pm »
Not tried it, but does it change with the vehicle type set in the routing settings?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2010, 08:00:47 pm »
The distance varies mainly with approach speed I think, which may be why it seems further on rural roads than town roads.

You could try playing with Off Road Transition - which lurks in a very obscure place, in the Routes page and left key (menu key).  The default setting is auto.  If you change this to Distance you can then set a distance, say 50m - set 50 then alter the units to metres -

this may achieve something (no promises, not really explored it)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »
Thanks all, a few more things to try out there - I'll see what difference it makes.

Yesterday I was typically getting 25m warning which I felt was insufficient even at my slow crawl.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2010, 02:30:31 pm »
Its probably why I'm keen on:
a) always having the 'Distance to Next' field visible
b) waypoint naming, even though it is extra work, to add a direction hint
c) cutting down on intermediate waypoints which are only there to make the shape look right - because they mess up the countdown provided by (a).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #11 on: 08 February, 2010, 09:53:03 pm »
I think I've just found where I'd seen that setting......

With bikehike.co.uk if your route includes any waypoints, when you download the route you have an option for "CoursePoint warning distance"