Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?  (Read 46643 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?
« Reply #50 on: 30 July, 2015, 09:24:20 am »
Was thinking of this, cos I do miss the start menu they vaporised in W8, but OTOH I've got used to its absence. So no.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 30 July, 2015, 09:33:20 am »
I missed the Start Menu for all of ten minutes before installing Classic Shell on my first Win 8 box, and it was the very first thing I installed on my desktop machine after Windows itself.

I'll be holding off at least until I get back from my holibobs and probably a good deal longer than that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #52 on: 30 July, 2015, 10:51:52 am »
Never heard of Classic Shell before.  ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Afasoas

« Reply #53 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:06:01 am »
The Wi-Fi password sharing feature is also known as WiFi Sense.
I've had to set-up a RADIUS server and WPA Enterprise at work, but not all together satisfied with it as staff can now join their own devices to the unrestricted Wi-Fi connection using their domain credentials *facepalm*

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #54 on: 30 July, 2015, 04:25:24 pm »
The Wi-Fi password sharing feature is also known as WiFi Sense.
I've had to set-up a RADIUS server and WPA Enterprise at work, but not all together satisfied with it as staff can now join their own devices to the unrestricted Wi-Fi connection using their domain credentials *facepalm*

THAT is a total fail :( NOT impressed with that one MS!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #55 on: 30 July, 2015, 05:25:42 pm »
Never heard of Classic Shell before.  ???
Classic Shell and (for Office) Classic Menu are brilliant. I use both.

« Reply #56 on: 30 July, 2015, 10:37:22 pm »
Just installing it on a Dell Core i5 machine now I'll let you know in a minute!

« Reply #57 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:28:21 pm »
Well that was painless.  Everything seems to just work and first impressions are very good.  I have a proper start menu and the look and feel is excellent - streets ahead of 8.1 and with a much more up to date feel than 7.   It's very, very quick too.  So far, so good.   

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #58 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:32:58 pm »
Win 8 sucks a very large one so Win10 terrifies me.  When's the end of extended support for Win7?

EDIT: 2020.  So I won't be going for Win 10!

That'll be a nay here too.

« Reply #59 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:55:35 pm »
We get good versions about every 5 years if you think back - NT4, W2K, XP and W7, with complacent and indulgent wankware in between.  On that basis this is due to be a good one.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #60 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:06:01 am »
The reviews I've seen so far have been universally positive. Sadly, I can't verify them as the one computer I'd earmarked for an early upgrade reports that its graphic card doesn't have a Win10-compatible driver available, so Win10 will not install.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #61 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:13:43 am »
The update fails repeatedly on the only one of mine that I've tried so far.  The only good thing is that it puts back the working 8.1 Pro system so the machine does still work afterwards.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #62 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:30:34 am »
I clicked for the upgrade on my home PC some weeks ago but I still don't see an option to upgrade. I'm actually looking forward to 10 because I really don't want to go from 7 -> 8.x for our work machines.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

TimC

« Reply #63 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:49:59 am »
You'll get a little Windows symbol in the task bar. Click on that and a dialogue will come up giving you info about the upgrade - it's being rolled out in stages (based on what I've no idea!). On my old Sony Vaio, this reported the upgrade wouldn't work. On my MacBook Air (Bootcamp Win 8.1), it tells me I'm not yet scheduled.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #64 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:58:05 am »
It's only now telling me "This PC is unable to run Windows 10" due to lack of graphics driver, for ATI Radeon Xpress in Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop.

"Have a look at new PCs", it says.  Ah, a conspiracy to sell more hardware!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

TimC

« Reply #65 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:02:48 am »
Yes, my Sony failed the test for lack of a graphics driver. Can't remember the make, but I wouldn't be surprised if a compatible driver gets created fairly soon.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #66 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:07:51 am »
I wonder if it could be made to work anyway?  Like some drivers written for Vista and even XP work with Windows 7.  (Only some, not all).

TimC

« Reply #67 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:12:25 am »
Maybe, but I wasn't given an option to download and install the OS on the off-chance! If and when you can get it on disk (for £99!), it might be possible.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #68 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:28:02 am »
Looks like we can download it directly via https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Of course it may refuse to work.

TimC

« Reply #69 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:32:58 am »
Ah, interesting. I might give that a go!

« Reply #70 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:35:41 am »
Looks like we can download it directly via https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Of course it may refuse to work.

That's how I did it and it downloads and installs quite quickly.  You do get a rollback option for 30 days as well, contrary to the information up thread.

TimC

« Reply #71 on: 31 July, 2015, 10:40:28 am »
Actually, I'm pretty sure that when I put Win8 on that old Vaio there was no dedicated graphics driver, and it just used a generic Windows one. It works fine. I'll try it; the computer's not essential to anything - I only use it to run TrainerRoads and BKool turbo software - so if it bricks, I've lost very little.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #72 on: 31 July, 2015, 12:14:18 pm »
Yes, even Windows 7 includes some graphics drivers or a generic graphics driver.  I was warned this computer wasn't compatible with W7, but W7 actually works fine, so perhaps the same will be true for W10, too.

My download's just conked out for no apparent reason.  Will try again tonight/tomorrow.  I can restore my W7 image backup if W10 fooks up my babbage-engine.  I'll also roll back if my favourite touchpad driver doesn't work.  Generic ones don't provide the same scrolling performance.  May then try W10 on a desktop PC instead.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #73 on: 31 July, 2015, 04:22:47 pm »
I hate to pile on the criticism, but as people are installing I think they'd want to know: by default, Win 10 uses your bandwidth to distribute updates to other users, bittorrent stylee. How to turn it off:

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-d-1721091469

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #74 on: 31 July, 2015, 04:29:45 pm »
I hate to pile on the criticism, but as people are installing I think they'd want to know: by default, Win 10 uses your bandwidth to distribute updates to other users, bittorrent stylee. How to turn it off:

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-d-1721091469

I can't see the option they're talking about on my W7 installation.   Is it a W8 thing only?