Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118171 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #100 on: 10 January, 2018, 06:08:24 pm »
Already signed up for the next two :thumbsup:

I think I'm in for The Oyster -- I just got a permission slip.  Obviously I'll ECE it.

I think I'll to a 50/50 or a 75/25 again. An extra couple of hours in bed was much appreciated last time even if the last 50 did turn into a bit of a chore after too many beers....

The extra couple of hours sounds nice ... although my ECE is nearly 75km each way  ::-)  Still, riding with others beats a cold, lonely winter solo-DIY  :thumbsup:  (although some would say 150km of solo-ECE amounts to the same thing)

Unfortunately, I haven't ridden further than the shops since The Stansted Express, so I'm probably NOT going to be hanging onto ElyDave's wheel this time.

Just gotta find a tyre before committing, to replace the one I sliced open outside arrivée last time out ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #101 on: 10 January, 2018, 06:23:40 pm »
I'm in. Not done a Kelvedon start yet (not sure if I've been through it on an Audax either).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #102 on: 10 January, 2018, 06:41:33 pm »
You'll be in plenty of company, entries are well in to triple figures now and with the prospect of benign weather and a working railway the number of DNS's will probably be minimal.

I'm in. Not done a Kelvedon start yet (not sure if I've been through it on an Audax either).
The Knight Templar Compasses & Cross 100k (the February ACME ride) goes through but doesn't stop in Kelvedon.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #103 on: 10 January, 2018, 07:31:41 pm »
The Compasses 100 was the only winter series ride I did last year, and I aim to do it again. Looks like I face a headwind to the start, so my usual lateness leaving home won't do.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #104 on: 10 January, 2018, 08:59:30 pm »
I found a tyre — I'm in  :thumbsup:

Looks like I face a headwind to the start, so my usual lateness leaving home won't do.

But a nice tailwind home again — I'm banking on that! ;)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #105 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:04:45 pm »
Breaking news: We have Oysters available at West Mersea in exchange for a one Tomsk note ☺

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #106 on: 10 January, 2018, 09:19:28 pm »
Breaking news: We have Oysters available at West Mersea in exchange for a one Tomsk note ☺

:thumbsup:
That should keep me at a good tempo from Pebmarsh

« Reply #107 on: 10 January, 2018, 10:49:56 pm »

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #108 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:22:58 am »

:sick: LOL  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #109 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:45:00 am »

:sick:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #110 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:58:41 am »
What morning sustenance is available for the troublesome discerning vegetarian at The Railway Tavern Mr Shred?

« Reply #111 on: 11 January, 2018, 07:04:20 am »
Beans on toast and tea/coffee.

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #112 on: 11 January, 2018, 07:25:16 am »

cgg

« Reply #113 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:46:38 am »
For those interested in this sort of things, I'm planning on ECE-ing from North London, 100 km from Finsbury Park, leaving at 5.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #114 on: 11 January, 2018, 02:34:42 pm »
Oh no - I was rather hoping there would be an alternative (sorry but I am not an oyster fan - a view reinforced on a sailing trip across the English Channel when only the small number of non oyster eaters in the crew were actually in a fit state to sail the boat back to the UK!)
So anyone who arrives at the same time as me can get a bonus oyster  :)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #115 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:08:32 pm »
Oh no - I was rather hoping there would be an alternative (sorry but I am not an oyster fan - a view reinforced on a sailing trip across the English Channel when only the small number of non oyster eaters in the crew were actually in a fit state to sail the boat back to the UK!)
So anyone who arrives at the same time as me can get a bonus oyster  :)

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #116 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:07:58 pm »
Beans on toast and tea/coffee.

As I'm already thinking of cycling over via the B1053 into Braintree, I've noted there's a 'spoons pub there, so a veggie brekky 7miles from the start is a tempting thought (I DNS'd the Jan Sale last Sat so missed out on a 'spoons brekky then!).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #117 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:29:30 pm »
Raw oysters  :sick:

Cooked oysters  :thumbsup:

What does a Tomsk buy?

I may have to do with a nut/fruit bar of some description
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #118 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:47:14 pm »
Tomsk and I did the co-op last year :) he might have partaken when we got to the shed later.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #119 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:49:45 am »
Oyster slid down a treat  :-\

As I'm already thinking of cycling over via the B1053 into Braintree, I've noted there's a 'spoons pub there, so a veggie brekky 7miles from the start is a tempting thought (I DNS'd the Jan Sale last Sat so missed out on a 'spoons brekky then!).

Just to say: there's a lack of suitable cycleparking at the Braintree 'spoons, just the odd lamp post...

« Reply #120 on: 12 January, 2018, 09:24:20 am »
Ah! Just read Graeme's info sheet about the pub opening up especially for us, so I may give Braintree a miss.

« Reply #121 on: 12 January, 2018, 02:23:11 pm »
@tedshred, what time will the Railway Tavern be open tomorrow morning for the 9:30 starters? A nice relaxed breakfast would go down very well.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #122 on: 12 January, 2018, 02:35:40 pm »
@tedshred, what time will the Railway Tavern be open tomorrow morning for the 9:30 starters? A nice relaxed breakfast would go down very well.
I'm reliably informed by the addressee of this enquiry that the Railway Tavern will be open from 9am
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #123 on: 12 January, 2018, 02:54:48 pm »
I'm reliably informed by the addressee of this enquiry that the Railway Tavern will be open from 9am

Thanks Huggy

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #124 on: 12 January, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »
9am is correct but if you turn up looking hungry at 8.45 you might be in luck.

They are aware of the unexpected popularity of this event and are planning accordingly.  Dukes Seafood in West Mersea (this year's venue for the free oyster) have also ordered in some extra supplies and will have other seafood as well as tea, coffee and caik to purchase at their waterfront venue - directions on the back of the One Tomsk note but you can't miss it if you follow the route.  Please support both venues as they have been most excellent today when I rang them to let them know that we were heading for double last year's numbers.

With approaching 140 entrants and EOLs to follow, it is going to be busy tomorrow morning so please bear with us and don't be surprised if your brevet card looks suspiciously like one from last year with a photocopied insert.  Multiple start times will be on offer from 9.30 onwards.

The weather is set fair so no excuses for not riding  :thumbsup: