Author Topic: Ronnie O'Sullivan says there are '"a lot of arseholes" in cycling  (Read 9323 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan says there are '"a lot of arseholes" in cycling
« Reply #25 on: 24 August, 2020, 06:42:34 pm »
While runners may be "nice people", they sure do look like a miserable lot.  At least the ones I see in and around London.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #26 on: 24 August, 2020, 07:15:20 pm »
Where is the cycling equivalent to Parkrun?
They're different things, there's not always going to be equivalents. Is there a runners equivalent for going out for a nice ride?   I've never met a runner who doesn't measure it in some way, then tell everyone (Usually after telling them they just do it for fun and are not competitive).  There may be some who do, I've just never met one, even the social Parkrun includes timing chips and published results.
Most cyclists I know, are more likely to tell me where they've been, who with, what they saw... then maybe the distance, though sometimes I'll ask for that if it sounds like a ride I might do.
As for arseholes, we've all got one.

Cycling doesn't have weekly gatherings of cyclists of al ages and abilities who can take as long as they need to get around and not have to pay a membership fee for the pleasure.    As for the timing:  the vast majority of runners I know use their time purely as a guide for themselves as to their state of fitness.

I once did an audax.  I got in with about five minutes remaining.  Everybody except two organisers had long gone and the organisers were surprised when we turned up.  At Parkrun the Marshall and organisers stay for the last person home and then some of them come for a coffee with many of the participants afterwards who have also stayed and usually cheer the tail home.

Cycling could do with something on the same lines to raise it's popularity with the wider public.

To be fair, Mike, how long does it take for the field to complete a Park Run?  Aren't they c. 5 miles or less?  I don't know how long your audax was but I should think the organisers will have been hanging around for a lot longer than those at the running event.  And they did wait!  And it's a sample of 1, I think?

Me?  I just wish my legs would still let me run!

Well actually, it was a mere 100km and the organisers didn't wait as such.  They had packed up and were just leaving as we arrived.  They didn't expect us nor anybody else and had to dig out their paperwork just to register us home.  They were not happy bunnies either.

As Jaded says, Parkrun is inclusive because that was key to the project.  Cycling doesn't have that feel about it at any level.   There are plenty of groups of mates in cycling but nothing beyond this.

Parkrun isn't immune to arseholes (runners or organisers).

I've seen runners shove other runners. I've seen runners shout obscenities at other people walking on the same paths "Get out of the way! There are hundreds of runners coming through!" (despite the weekly reminder from the run director that everyone needs to be polite and share the paths with other users), etc. People running with loose dogs that bother lots of the other runners. Generally it's people who are more concerned about their time than their behaviour.

Then again, I've seen the tail end walker leave 400m before the end (as they wanted to get home) leaving the last people completely unaware of what to do or where to go as almost everything else had been packed away (someone complained as they had to ask for directions from random people to get to the end). For a parkrun with sometimes 600 people there were just a handful of people left at the finish, no clapping, no cheering, not even a well done, finish funnel cones/tape packed up, just a grumpy timekeeper (not obvious as they weren't in hi vis) who was annoyed they'd been kept waiting an extra 10+ minutes.

(None of this was me, but I have come last in the parkrun when I ran it with my 5 yo daughter, and it was a freakish week where no-one was walking so we were last by quite some way, but the tail end walker gave some great encouragement to my daughter and there were still enough people around to clap and cheer her in on her debut.)

I think every prospective run director should have to do the tail end walker job with someone finishing in over 1h just to see how underwhelming the finish can be if the remaining volunteers don't get it right.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #27 on: 24 August, 2020, 09:27:21 pm »
Cycling doesn't have that feel about it at any level.   There are plenty of groups of mates in cycling but nothing beyond this.
It's a pity you feel that, it certainly isn't my experience.

Ben T

« Reply #28 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:36:43 pm »
Park Run is 5km.

The slowest runners might take more than half an hour!

I've volunteered at Parkrun when the final participant has taken over an hour. They usually get cheered in with gusto - the aim of Parkrun is to be inclusive.

;D what did they do, get lost?

I must admit if I was the organiser I would assume they'd got bored and gone to the pub. The audax equivalent of that is if they're still not back from a 100km by the next morning.

Ben T

« Reply #29 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:40:12 pm »
I was wondering when did "jogging" become "running" ?

Running is what you do if you're Linford Christie, or late for a bus.
Jogging is when you set off from your house, amble round the estate slightly quickly before returning again.

« Reply #30 on: 25 August, 2020, 07:42:19 am »
To be fair, running groups can be just as obnoxious as cycling groups.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #31 on: 25 August, 2020, 08:03:31 am »
Park Run is 5km.

The slowest runners might take more than half an hour!

I've volunteered at Parkrun when the final participant has taken over an hour. They usually get cheered in with gusto - the aim of Parkrun is to be inclusive.

;D what did they do, get lost?

I must admit if I was the organiser I would assume they'd got bored and gone to the pub. The audax equivalent of that is if they're still not back from a 100km by the next morning.

No. They didn’t get lost.

You could though  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #32 on: 25 August, 2020, 08:12:15 am »
I was wondering when did "jogging" become "running" ?

Running is what you do if you're Linford Christie, or late for a bus.
Jogging is when you set off from your house, amble round the estate slightly quickly before returning again.

Jogging as a term for running is fairly recent and most likely an import. In Shakespearean times "to jog" just meant "to leave". So jog on  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

ian

« Reply #33 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:35:39 pm »
As said, the propensity of any given group to move towards dickishness is a fact of life. Everything becomes a competition of betterment. Bigger, faster, better. It's amplified by gear: cars, bikes, golf clubs, you name it. Entire industries are reliant on our unfathomable urge to progress towards dickishness.

The most liberating thing is to not give a shit.

rob

« Reply #34 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:51:20 pm »
I think that by the time I had finished I was the one in my club with all the kit.  Still raced on fixed, though.

Nick H.

« Reply #35 on: 26 August, 2020, 12:21:43 am »
I remove the logo from my expensive kit. I don't want other people's opinions on it. It's my own private fetish.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:08:23 am »
Ronnie O'Sullivan drives an Audi*.  Trufax.

* Or at least he did when he came to a couple of NA meetings in Leytonstone
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #37 on: 26 August, 2020, 09:46:01 pm »
It depends how you take things as well. My club is really friendly, and you can ride anything. We run a Boxing Day event when the point is to ride the oldest or least suitable machine possible; we've had a Chopper, a unicycle, one or two bikes from around 1900, and one person who ran round. Which probably isn't allowed under CTT regulations, but hey.

However, a couple of us were slower in the 10 the other week, and the event report noted that our machines were more "old skool". It was meant kindly and taken in the same spirit. Mine is only 15 years old, and one glance at the photos tells you that it's not the bike that needs upgrading, but the rider. They were just too generous to say so.

Davef

They're different things, there's not always going to be equivalents. Is there a runners equivalent for going out for a nice ride?   I've never met a runner who doesn't measure it in some way, then tell everyone (Usually after telling them they just do it for fun and are not competitive).  There may be some who do, I've just never met one, even the social Parkrun includes timing chips and published results.
Most cyclists I know, are more likely to tell me where they've been, who with, what they saw... then maybe the distance, though sometimes I'll ask for that if it sounds like a ride I might do.
How would you detect meeting someone who runs but does not talk about it ?

Whilst running?

Davef

Whilst running?
That would detect the running part, but it would still leave you with the difficulty of determining whether they were going to talk about it later.

« Reply #41 on: 27 August, 2020, 03:34:52 pm »
Well, until they talk about it endlessly then they're on the list of possible people who don't.

Problem solved.

« Reply #42 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:09:36 pm »
in running the only thing you can really splash the cash with gay abandon on is your running shoes.

and some runners have more shoes that Imelda Marcos ...

« Reply #43 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:11:52 pm »
N+1 in running shoes is surely akin to n+1 in bicycles.

Davef

in running the only thing you can really splash the cash with gay abandon on is your running shoes.

and some runners have more shoes that Imelda Marcos ...
... and at £250 a pair it soon adds up

Davef

N+2 works better

« Reply #46 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:17:42 pm »

I’ve not heard of many cyclists who have twenty bicycles under their bed, some never taken out of the box...

(Well, apart from that one couple in the German PBP documentary)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #47 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:19:10 pm »

Cycling doesn't have weekly gatherings of cyclists of al ages and abilities who can take as long as they need to get around and not have to pay a membership fee for the pleasure.    As for the timing:  the vast majority of runners I know use their time purely as a guide for themselves as to their state of fitness.

I once did an audax.  I got in with about five minutes remaining.  Everybody except two organisers had long gone and the organisers were surprised when we turned up.  At Parkrun the Marshall and organisers stay for the last person home and then some of them come for a coffee with many of the participants afterwards who have also stayed and usually cheer the tail home.

Cycling could do with something on the same lines to raise it's popularity with the wider public.

Many years ago Jan and I took part in a "sportif" (I think that's the spelling). It was advertised at 3 levels, so we chose the "tourists" level. Accordingly we had a nice ride following a lot of arrows for 60 odd miles,stopping for cake and a pub lunch and doing all the things that tourists do. It was, IIRC, 100k.

When we got back to the village hall everyone had gone. The only person left was a cleaner who was sweeping up. We bunged our tandem (this must have been 2006 as we still had the Majestic Twin and no Thorn) on the back of the car and drove home. I wrote a ride report for this august forum's predecessor making a few comments about organisers who bugger off before their charges have returned, and sent a copy to the organiser. I got a very snotty reply, including one about people who have a pub lunch whilst on a bike ride (oh, the shame!) but he included 2 certificates to say that we had finished the ride.

By contrast, I also did the Willy Warmer 200k. The first time, I set off with a few people from this forum but after the first hill, I never saw them again. I trudged around that in the pre-Solidlights days, struggling with a small torch to try to follow a route sheet, and got back to the arrivée in an utterly exhausted state. But our very own Manotea was still there, and he must have been doing his solo stint for quite a few hours waiting for me because everyone else had long since gone.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #48 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:22:14 pm »
They're different things, there's not always going to be equivalents. Is there a runners equivalent for going out for a nice ride?   I've never met a runner who doesn't measure it in some way, then tell everyone (Usually after telling them they just do it for fun and are not competitive).  There may be some who do, I've just never met one, even the social Parkrun includes timing chips and published results.

That would be going for a walk.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #49 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:25:17 pm »
They're different things, there's not always going to be equivalents. Is there a runners equivalent for going out for a nice ride?   I've never met a runner who doesn't measure it in some way, then tell everyone (Usually after telling them they just do it for fun and are not competitive).  There may be some who do, I've just never met one, even the social Parkrun includes timing chips and published results.

That would be going for a walk.

A recovery run would be the equivalent of a nice ride. 1 min/km slower than normal running is quite enjoyable. HR at least 20bpm lower than it usually sits when running briskly.

I’ve not heard of many cyclists who have twenty bicycles under their bed, some never taken out of the box...

I've got two bikes in a box (Trimetals bike store) that I haven't ridden for 10+ years. Indeed the last time one of them was ridden was when I loaned it to someone to do LEL 2009 on.

These are the two I need to sell to fund a new TT bike, so n-2+1.