Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 472872 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3125 on: 15 April, 2020, 11:33:13 pm »
I haven't drank rum or brandy in ages. Because I mostly only like spirits and can't always drink (meds/dizziness depending) so don't tend to reliably have the chance as I don't want to get completely piss0red.

Thanks for the kind thoughts/warning about too much drinking, I too have seen a lot of folk doing that which is a little worrying. I also come from a family of people with alcohol issues so I'm very aware of "over drinking" on my own and other terms. Most of my drinking is 1-2 units at a time and it's rare I drink twice in a week - just by habit as much as anything else.

Also, Kim would kick my head in if I drank too much or behaved obnoxiously  ;D

« Reply #3126 on: 15 April, 2020, 11:42:43 pm »
I haven't drank rum or brandy in ages. Because I mostly only like spirits and can't always drink (meds/dizziness depending) so don't tend to reliably have the chance as I don't want to get completely piss0red.

Thanks for the kind thoughts/warning about too much drinking, I too have seen a lot of folk doing that which is a little worrying. I also come from a family of people with alcohol issues so I'm very aware of "over drinking" on my own and other terms. Most of my drinking is 1-2 units at a time and it's rare I drink twice in a week - just by habit as much as anything else.

Also, Kim would kick my head in if I drank too much or behaved obnoxiously  :-D

I can neither imagine an obnoxious Barakta or a Kim in head kicking mode (unless it was my head...)   :jurek:

Edit.  "Thanks for the kind thoughts/warning about too much drinking" I wasn't thinking of you when I said that !    My own parents, the husband of a friend, & myself are far more likely candidates for AA!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3127 on: 16 April, 2020, 07:21:45 am »
Wishing you all the best barakta .
Jonathan is still stable in frimley park hospital but there has been no improvement in his  condition.
And my back is playing up this morning.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3128 on: 22 April, 2020, 07:07:03 pm »
There is no change in Jonathan notp condition. He is still in frimley park and stable  :(
the slower you go the more you see

barakta

« Reply #3129 on: 22 April, 2020, 07:26:36 pm »
Stable is better than deterioration; but hope he can start to improve soonest.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3130 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:58:04 pm »
I had a small piece of knee removed this morning for biopsy purposes.

Because (a) I was a big boy and didn't cry (not the exact words she used) and (b) it would save me a trip to my local health centre, the consultant suggested I could remove the stitch myself, and gave me instructions.

I don't think the 2000+ pedal revolutions on my way home did it any good (68" fixed) - the dressing was soaked in blood when I got home.

The local anaesthetic is now wearing off. Now where is that paracetemol?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3131 on: 21 May, 2020, 06:01:40 pm »
I don't think the 2000+ pedal revolutions on my way home did it any good (68" fixed) - the dressing was soaked in blood when I got home.
You might have been a big boy but that wasn't a very clever thing to do, was it?  ;)
(Hoping the biopsy result is good.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3132 on: 21 May, 2020, 06:27:39 pm »
You might have been a big boy but that wasn't a very clever thing to do, was it?  ;)
(Hoping the biopsy result is good.)

I asked if it would be OK to cycle home (admittedly without specifying gearing) and was told it wouldn't be a problem.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3133 on: 21 May, 2020, 06:36:55 pm »
"Will I be okay to cycle home? I'm on 68 inch fixed."
"Ooh, if you've got 68 gears you'll be fine, it's not like you're on one of those hipster bikes with only one gear, is it?"

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3134 on: 21 May, 2020, 08:18:42 pm »
Wounds on extensor surfaces (outside of joints) always take longer to heal than those on flexor surfaces. Give your knee a fortnight and good luck with the biopsy!

Your knee will heal and the delay from cycling home will be minimal. If they didn't give you a stitch-cutting blade, you can get one for pennies from ebay. These are also brilliant for delabelling garments without doing other damage.

Hope all goes well!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3135 on: 22 May, 2020, 11:06:03 am »
Wounds on extensor surfaces (outside of joints) always take longer to heal than those on flexor surfaces. Give your knee a fortnight and good luck with the biopsy!

Your knee will heal and the delay from cycling home will be minimal. If they didn't give you a stitch-cutting blade, you can get one for pennies from ebay. These are also brilliant for delabelling garments without doing other damage.

Hope all goes well!

Biopsy: the first medical professional I saw said it didn't look like  "anything to worry about" (medical code for cancer), then asked me if I spent much time outdoors and said she'd refer me to a dermatologist "just in case". The dermatologist inspected it closely but was hampered by my having banged it on a door frame, and there was some bruising or something, so referred me for a biopsy "just in case". So I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Stitch-cutting: the consultant suggested nail scissors, and I've got a sharp pointy pair lined up. *Thinks* she left the ends untrimmed (as in the photo) so I could test their sharpness by seeing how easy it is to snip a mm or so off the end.

« Reply #3136 on: 22 May, 2020, 12:08:42 pm »
Did they tell you to apply vaseline every day?

I had an apple-core biopsy done on my face, stitched up. Vaseline keeps wound from crusting over, makes it easier to remove stitches.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

« Reply #3137 on: 22 May, 2020, 12:12:03 pm »
Doesn't everyone just remove their own simple stitches? Or have I spent too much time round medics and children of medics?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3138 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:19:22 pm »
You can use nail scissors but stitch cutters are shaped like curved hooks, with the sharp face on the concavity of the hook.

Personally, I find them excellent for removing threads from all manner of awkward places (and both D & I have damaged new clothing using scissors to de-label).

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3139 on: 23 May, 2020, 01:45:22 pm »
Did they tell you to apply vaseline every day?

I had an apple-core biopsy done on my face, stitched up. Vaseline keeps wound from crusting over, makes it easier to remove stitches.
Yes. It's on the A4 Dermatology Wound Care Advice Sheet I was given, which also says I should arrange with the GP surgery for removal of stitches.

Doesn't everyone just remove their own simple stitches? Or have I spent too much time round medics and children of medics?

I don' t know what's normal. The only other time in my life I've had stitches they were in my mouth when I had dental implants. I certainly didn't remove those myself.

« Reply #3140 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:00:21 am »
Back to the gym today. It's a crossfit style gym (but more adult) and they've divided it into 6 spaces with the needed equipment laid out (and cleaned).
But, holy crap, have I lost strength!.
Workout was simple and 'go easy' was emphasized. Strength part was a backsquat/pull-up (ring rows for me) combo. I ended up with 135lbs for the backsquat, which used to be my basic warm-up weight and I barely got through the sets!.
Quads are already seizing up and tomorrow will not be fun at all!

« Reply #3141 on: 28 May, 2020, 03:13:22 pm »
Dentists aren't allowed to do anything at the moment apart from prescribe antibiotics or perform extractions.

DAHIKT

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3142 on: 28 May, 2020, 04:49:36 pm »
Ouch!
Had a text from my dentists yesterday, stating they'd reopen on 2 June but would 'prioritise emergencies'.

Hope your tooth trouble gets sorted ASAP!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3143 on: 30 May, 2020, 10:18:04 am »

Stitch now removed using nail scissors. Much easier when I realised my leg should be straight not bent, to allow some slack.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3144 on: 30 May, 2020, 12:34:13 pm »
I developed a mild ache on the outside of my lower leg towards the end of yesterday's ride, and when I got home discovered that balancing on that foot was painful.  It looks like bruising from a mystery bash impinging on a peroneal something-or-other, but I've no memory of bashing it  ???

It's still quite swollen today, but the skin is turning a sufficiently interesting colour that I'm reasonably convinced it's trauma rather than yet more biomechanical fuckery.  The only thing I can think of was having to straighten the Garmin at one point during the ride, so maybe I bashed it while incompetently mounting/dismounting the bike and immediately forgot about doing it...

Bah!

« Reply #3145 on: 31 May, 2020, 04:05:59 am »
So, after barely being able to walk for 4 days after the last gym session, I went back in today and felt a lot better. Losing 30lbs has made box jumps a lot easier too!. Moderately heavy deadlifts, but I don't think I abused my glutes/hamstrings too much.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3146 on: 01 June, 2020, 10:41:12 am »
Had a couple of cups of tea and an espresso at breakfast this morning.  A couple of hours later I ran up two flights of stairs and oh dear me, feels like angina.  OK, caffeine/theine is a vasoconstrictor but that little shouldn't have an effect like that, right?

Cardiologist ordered for September, seeing usual GP tomorrow.

Arse.

I do not want to start all that embuggerance again.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3147 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:50:45 pm »
I developed a mild ache on the outside of my lower leg towards the end of yesterday's ride, and when I got home discovered that balancing on that foot was painful.  It looks like bruising from a mystery bash impinging on a peroneal something-or-other, but I've no memory of bashing it  ???

Back from a 75km ride where it didn't seem to cause a problem.  There's still a bit of swelling and it's gone an interesting colour, but as long as I can pedal, it's all good.

I've got some sort of fettling-related knee bruise to keep it company.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3148 on: 12 June, 2020, 06:47:25 pm »
Well, that's me on 7 days self isolation, due to developing covid like symptoms yesterday. Drive through covid19 test carried out today at local army staffed test centre. Should get the results in a few days.   :-\

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3149 on: 12 June, 2020, 09:02:13 pm »
Fingers crossed, Brian.