Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134521 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14250 on: 25 December, 2019, 11:48:28 am »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd) thought that lowlifes had robbed his leaf-blower, so he bought and attempted to assemble a replacement.  Much of yesterday afternoon was spent in dismantling and reassembling said device, including prising out a random M4 bolt which was stuck in a hole at right-angles to reality, serving no useful purpose whatsoever and not a fastener included in the original packaging.  Also his old one turned out to be sitting on the shelf in the back yard anyway >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14251 on: 28 December, 2019, 07:15:20 pm »
Replaced a fraying gear cable on HK’s Kinesis, along with trimming a cable housing.

Replaced my fixed’s Lumotec headlight with failed halogen bulb with an Axa Blueline 30. Once the taillight arrives, I’ll shift the headlight up to the fork crown from the front axle. Charged up some taillight batteries on my fixed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #14252 on: 28 December, 2019, 07:31:18 pm »
Tried to fettle a new tyre onto the front dinged wheel but it didn't work tubelessly despite a few efforts using every trick I know - the ding was too severe. So have put it on with a tube and squirted some sealant inside it for luck.

Will get round to changing the back wheel in an hour or so.... Hopefully.....
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14253 on: 29 December, 2019, 09:33:57 am »
Gave the chain on the commuting fixie its midwinter clean.  Chainring and sprocket next.  Ugh.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14254 on: 29 December, 2019, 02:57:47 pm »
Hacked the lugs of a Bosch DIY-grade battery to fit a Pro saw. Smoke test was OK for at least 5 seconds.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14255 on: 29 December, 2019, 03:01:00 pm »
Fixed (by removing a portion of) the striker plate on our bedroom door. We've only been here 20 years and it's been wrong all that time.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14256 on: 29 December, 2019, 03:32:14 pm »
Fixed (by removing a portion of) the striker plate on our bedroom door. We've only been here 20 years and it's been wrong all that time.

Our whole house is like that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14257 on: 29 December, 2019, 06:58:57 pm »

Our whole house is like that.
+1
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14258 on: 29 December, 2019, 07:42:20 pm »
Sorted out the eccentricity of the Jim Bundy drivetrain (cheap Andel track crank, I can't afford Sugino 75 and Zen chainrings).  Tight and bind-free now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14259 on: 31 December, 2019, 02:21:51 pm »
Installed a new ball cock ball valve float valve in the toilet, as the previous one was dribbling.  The modern plastic ones really are made of cheese.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14260 on: 31 December, 2019, 03:51:56 pm »
I made a manger for Jesus - yes I know it's bit late.

A few years ago my wife made a Knitivity  - see

I made a fairly average wooden manger at the time but now that I have some new woodworking machinery I thought I'd make a Mk2 model ready for next year.

Rob

+++ Hopefully this will not offend - there are other denominations.

ElyDave

« Reply #14261 on: 02 January, 2020, 05:48:07 pm »
Right hand pedal on the road bike had tightened itself onto its spindle to almost impossible to turn.  Wasn't expecting that to be such an involved job, as it had tightened so much that I couldn't get the pedal spanner in to get it off. Allan-keyed it, then into the vice to undo spindle, slacken off, refit seal, regrease, reassemble, and find it's probably a bit looser than i'd like. 

Also fitted the required spacer on my spare rear wheel to stop the casette wobbling. 

Attempted to fit the wheel weights for the turbo trainer onto the Cruzbike, rather than change wheel. Decided I needed to look at the instructions again

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14262 on: 02 January, 2020, 05:51:58 pm »
brake pad back to the metal on the genesis
chain worn out on the genesis
broken spoke on the galaxy

« Reply #14263 on: 02 January, 2020, 06:38:27 pm »
Wrapping things in brown paper and tape. Quite a lot of tape.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14264 on: 02 January, 2020, 10:36:11 pm »
Removed the faulty Axa headlight from my fixed before sending it back for replacement.

I'll put the fixed back on the road once I've fitted the replacement headlight (+ new dynamo taillight), tensioned the chain  and adjusted the rear brake pads appropriately.

ElyDave

« Reply #14265 on: 04 January, 2020, 11:08:30 am »
put the newly bought Brooks B17 Imperial on the roadbike, and tightened up the LH crank bolts on the recumbent, not sure why but both were very loose, despite being tightened up with a torque wrench originally.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14266 on: 04 January, 2020, 03:12:07 pm »
Washed bike, replaced a couple of recalcitrant fluorescents in the workshop as a step to finding that they need new starters, which in our case we have not got.  Might have some in a drawer, though.

ElyDave

« Reply #14267 on: 04 January, 2020, 10:10:08 pm »
New rear mech on the giant, I'd forgotten how much of a PITA the 105 4700 shifter is. New rear mech is already shifting so much better than the old one on the workstand, even before I've fully tweaked the cable tension.

Re-cabling of front tomorrow if I have time, but that's less pressing.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14268 on: 04 January, 2020, 10:16:23 pm »
Top Henry Reed reference there T42

Put new shelves into the larder cupboard thing so I can actually get to the stuff in there. Only minor wood surgery was needed.

The old shelves went into the former water heater cupboard, now empty of water heater, but with suspiciously wet floor. Further investigation revealed a weeping joint on the loo cistern inlet, caused by it now operating at mains pressure following the fitting of a New! Shiny! combi boiler. Adjustable spanner and Plumber's Tape For Everything hopefully fixed it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14269 on: 05 January, 2020, 09:38:56 am »
;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14270 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:29:52 pm »
Washed my fixed, mostly. Replaced the 16t cog and chain on my fixed for 3/32”. The 1/8” 17t will have to wait until I repair the chainwhip and arrange some more leverage. At least I can ride it to work tomorrow now. Also swapped the Smart front light for an Ixon Core until I get the replacement dyno headlight.

Removed the rear tube from HK’s Kinesis that she fitted earlier this week. Flint-mined both tyres. Set up the rear tyre tubeless with Orange Seal Endurance. Found the hole that caused the flat, hopefully the sealant will do its job. Otherwise I’ll have to fit a plug, perhaps the new Stans jobbie.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14271 on: 19 January, 2020, 04:40:27 pm »
Fixed the broken taillight on my fixed after yesterday’s falls on ice. I started to feel a little ‘got at’ soon after the second crash. I had to smartly step aside with my bike into a hedge when a car driver behind me found that braking and steering wasn’t much use on ice. I wonder why that cyclist ahead of him was gingerly walking along the edge of that single-track lane? The oncoming driver was open-mouthed as somehow we managed to fit three abreast. I was the only one that ended up in the hedge though.

Tightened the creaking BB on HK’s Kinesis and tweaked the front mech. It looks like time for a new big ring on the Sun XCD cranks.

Changed the gear hanger on my trike and trued up the rear wheels a bit after a prat tried to bend them with his car a few weeks back. Hopefully the Module E2 rims aren’t overly weakened, otherwise I’ll have a nasty shock halfway round a fast corner. I may need to change the chain and cassette soon.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14272 on: 20 January, 2020, 10:46:03 am »
Put 0.2 bar into each tyre.  Squirted the dog's belly with antiseptic.  Or was it the other way round..?

ElyDave

« Reply #14273 on: 20 January, 2020, 01:47:33 pm »
Having ridden it in the outside world for the first time, tweaked the position of the Brooks on the roadbike.  It's very slippery.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14274 on: 20 January, 2020, 03:05:44 pm »
Leather saddles are.  I had a hell of a time sliding off the front of my Selle Anatomica and getting it up the pubic arch (pubic ouch) until I did the counter-intuitive thing and canted the nose up a bit, whereupon my sit-bones rode back onto the wider bit and wondrous comfort ensued.