Author Topic: Best campsites in the UK  (Read 5347 times)

oldpeddler

Best campsites in the UK
« on: 05 May, 2011, 05:24:54 pm »
As it usually takes sometime to find good value campsite when planning a trip I thought it would be interesting if forumers gave their view on the best campsites they have come across on their travels in the UK.
Most of the rides I plan from West Wales either head east or easterly so my pivotal point for my first camp is generally around Hay on Wye.
 Fortunately I have found a very reasonable priced campsite there and would recommend it to fellow forumers.
It's the Radnor End Campsite just outside Hay. Basic site overlooking Hay for only £5 a night. It has all facilities(showers are 20p). I've attached a photo  showing the view of Hay in the distance.
Any forumers recommend any other similar sites. Maybe helpful enough to build up a map of good value campsites across the UK. Always handy. What do you think ??? ???

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
Re: Best campsites in the UK
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2011, 05:50:03 pm »
Great idea.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2011, 05:59:15 pm »
We really enjoyed our stay at Abercoed Caravan And Camping, near Tregaron.
Can't remember the price though, but I guess it wasn't so much to stand out in my memory.
Showers were free, so was the wifi (not sure if that was intentional! but a great idea anyway).

Maybe helpful enough to build up a map of good value campsites across the UK. Always handy. What do you think ??? ???

Something like this? (it's setup so anyone can add new items)

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2011, 06:01:23 pm »
Not editable, but Woolly and I have a few recommended sites here.

corshamjim

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »
The Radnor End campsite is one of the very few I've stayed at (many years ago though).

My favourite is the Plume of Feathers at Princetown on Dartmoor.

The Plume of Feathers Inn, Princetown, Dartmoor, Devon, England

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2011, 06:53:22 pm »
If you look at Camping It Up board In The Knowledge, there are a couple of threads on page 3. One is called Favourite Campsites and another is called Favourite Rough Campsites. There are a few you might find interesting there. I could repeat myself and tell you mine, but I won't. I think they are already in those threads. They're not exclusively UK based, but a good proportion are.

oldpeddler

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:04:14 pm »
Thanks all. Some very useful comments and sites to follow up on. It's amazing how quickly you can gather up info on the forum which would take you an age searching through website after website or camping books etc.
Please keep them coming. Hopefully this subject is not only helping me but benefiting all forumers. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

corshamjim

« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:14:34 pm »
I see the favourite campsite we stayed at when I was a child (35 or more years ago then) is still going strong.  I must pay it another visit sometime.

Camping Brecon Beacons | Cwmdu Caravan and Campsite  

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2011, 09:34:16 pm »
Good idea oldpeddler. I can vouch for the Radnor one outside Hay. Stayed there about a month ago.
A great one is Ynys Faen at Cwmwysg near Trecastle about 12 miles west of Brecon. This does not allow cars onto the field and the shower block is spotless. Lovely lady who runs it, very helpful. £8 per night.
I also like one at Llandanwg near Harlech in north Wales. About 80 yards from the beach, bit basic, but I love it. £6 per night.

oldpeddler

« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2011, 10:18:57 pm »
Good idea oldpeddler. I can vouch for the Radnor one outside Hay. Stayed there about a month ago.
A great one is Ynys Faen at Cwmwysg near Trecastle about 12 miles west of Brecon. This does not allow cars onto the field and the shower block is spotless. Lovely lady who runs it, very helpful. £8 per night.
I also like one at Llandanwg near Harlech in north Wales. About 80 yards from the beach, bit basic, but I love it. £6 per night.
Yes, can agree with you "TEC" I have also stayed at Ynys Faen, lovely spot and lovely people and a good climbing test when you leave especial towards Trecastle. Would use this one more but it is too close to home.
Definite recommendation to those looking to camp before taking on the Black Mountain and the rest of the Brecons.
Can anyone recommend any campsites up around Ludlow and Chester/Shrewsbury area as I May tour those areas later this summer.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2011, 11:39:23 pm »
Deepdale Backpackers

Mr R and I are off there again this weekend.  And it has been the venue for a number of YACFer gatherings... including the "Great Eat".
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2011, 07:05:22 am »
Despite the fact I haven't been there for a couple of years (I missed the last YACF gathering at Deepdale) one of the staff recognised me and asked where my bike was....  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2011, 08:30:43 pm »
I had the pleasure of staying at the Radnor End site recently on my St. Davids to Lowestoft side to side but I am not sure what happened to Hay on Wye!!

No wait it did reappear once the sun got its wiggle on!
Terry

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2011, 11:58:46 pm »
I camped at Hayfield last weekend in the High Peaks. It is owned by the Camping and Caravanning Club. It is well organised and clean. It is also walking distance in the evening to several pubs all doing food. I am sorry I did not have time to take a picture.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #15 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:07:58 am »
Fidden Farm on Mull is fairy basic as regards facilities, last time I was there I think there was a single portakabin as the toilet block, but the gorgeous location makes up for it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/may/15/remote-campsites-camping-uk
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #16 on: 08 June, 2011, 10:52:53 am »
Key for me at the moment is price - hoping to get a 10 day uk tour in on the slimmest of slimline budgets and am repeatedly horrified as to how expensive UK campsites can be.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

iakobski

« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2011, 01:11:20 pm »
Trwyn Yr Wylfa, Penmaenmawr, Conwy, N Wales Coast

Map

Stayed there last weekend, lovely site on the side of a hill within walking distance of both the beach and the mountains. Two large fields, no booking, just turn up and choose a pitch, can't imagine it would ever be full but might be difficult to find a flat bit if it's busy. Basic but adequate facilities (hot showers, bog roll).

This is when we arrived and daughter found out why she'd been advised to check her tent was all in the bag before setting off...

The site seen from the ridge to the East, our pitch is by the hedge & big tree near the bottom:

Fantastic views over the sea from the site (no pictures). Highly recommended.

The price displayed is £6/£3 but the owner charged us £5/£2

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »
Trwyn Yr Wylfa, Penmaenmawr, Conwy, N Wales Coast

mrs.jogler & I stayed here 40 years ago :o
She became "trapped" in a sleeping bag & almost had a panic attack.I reckon this is when her aversion to basic camping/small tents developed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2011, 07:39:37 pm »
Isn't Wylfa the nuclear power station?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #20 on: 08 June, 2011, 07:43:46 pm »
The power station is on Anglesey

That looks good though, and an easy day from Liverpool.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark