Author Topic: BaseCamp 4.3.1 Released  (Read 2825 times)

BaseCamp 4.3.1 Released
« on: 20 May, 2014, 11:31:38 am »
See the download page for the list of improvements:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

Re: BaseCamp 4.3.1 Released
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2014, 09:20:26 am »
Only thing I've noticed so far is that converting a track to a route is broken, I often use that as a starting point for creating a route but now it just comes up with an Error dialog box.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2014, 11:41:55 am »
Don't like the sound of that, like you it's my starting point ... thanks for the warning and hope you find a workaround

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2014, 11:48:47 am »
Converting routes to tracks and tracks to routes is working fine for me.

Nice to see they have added support for importing FIT files.

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2014, 06:01:55 pm »
fuaran - I'm guessing you have Garmin maps installed.

After some experimentation I find the function works OK on Garmin Maps but fails on ALL of my OSM based maps. The previous version of Basecamp usually gave me something reasonable on those maps and I've never seen it error out before.

Just giving Start and End points on an OSM map and using the generate route option does produce something, which varies in quality from laughable to quite reasonable, based on the map and the area I'm routing through. Obviously that's what I'd expect, it's the Erroring out on a simple track to route conversion that I find a problem.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2014, 06:41:43 pm »
No, I am using OSM maps. Specifically the generic routable and Openfietsmap Lite from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Converting a track to a route should not depend on the maps anyway, as it should just be using the trackpoints, to create a route in direct mode. So it doesn't need any routing data from the maps.
What error message are you getting?

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2014, 07:39:25 pm »
OK, one of the maps I'm using is from there too. At best with the errors I just get a straight line.

Since I noticed it when doing the A&S 400k I have been using those files to experiment with, but it does the same thing for me on others too.

The error I get is "There was an Error calculating this route", i.e:

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2014, 03:23:52 pm »
Just had a go at creating routes for next weekend's Fitch Bikes 200k, BaseCamp 4.3.1 is royally bugged!

Using OSM based maps I generally get an error, but even with the latest Garmin map it tries to send me over a field in one section, instead of following the road as it's settings tell it to - and this is for Car routing type!

« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2014, 04:07:03 pm »
+1 to that... it's buggered!

It automatically updated on OS X. All of my lists were lost in the update. Even my backup couldn't restore any order to the data!

It's definitely an update to avoid.  >:(

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2014, 07:02:58 pm »
Just had a go at creating routes for next weekend's Fitch Bikes 200k, BaseCamp 4.3.1 is royally bugged!

Using OSM based maps I generally get an error, but even with the latest Garmin map it tries to send me over a field in one section, instead of following the road as it's settings tell it to - and this is for Car routing type!

I think mine always did that. I didn't worry about the route not following the road. Its on the road by the time each junction comes, and the arrow to next would still point forwards. Sorry, assumed that was just how things worked.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2014, 10:56:29 am »
No, if I try to run this route on the GPS it will error out with something like "No rotatable roads in that area".

I've gone back to BaseCamp v4.2.5 which I find generally more stable.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2014, 07:13:46 am »
something I've noticed is that the City Navigator map on my device does not line up with the basmap that (presumably) comes with BaseCamp as I'm sure they don't hand out anything free, so any routes I create don't line up with the roads on my device  ???

does this mean I need to get hold of an OSM of the UK or something? the basemap works but is pretty useless for planning rides

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2014, 09:34:18 am »
Basecamp tells me that version 4.3.2 is ready to be installed.

« Reply #13 on: 08 June, 2014, 10:14:04 am »
Martin - A quick search of the forum pages will give you the info on how to install OSM, personally I find them very good, especially if you tend to use tracks or courses rather than routes.

Pingu - I await your comments on the new version, personally I'm tired of being Garmin's beta tester  :(

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 08 June, 2014, 10:26:38 am »
I'm not intending to install it immediately. I've long given up being an early adopter of software if I can help it.

« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2014, 10:17:52 pm »
Apparently it's now up to 4.3.3, but I still wouldn't touch it with a barge pole