Author Topic: London Lockdown - Group DIY Perm - Fri 22.03.2024 - 10pm start  (Read 3040 times)

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
London Lockdown - Group DIY Perm - Fri 22.03.2024 - 10pm start
« on: 31 January, 2024, 10:31:37 am »
It brings me great joy to share that this year's non-essential ride will be taking place Friday, 22 March, 2024 at 10pm.

5th Anniversary Edition
4th Anniversary 5th Edition

Date: Friday, 22 March 2024
Start Time: 22:00
Distance: 164 km
Climb: 1,086m

Start: Victoria Station car park (meet opposite bike racks at car park entrance to Victoria Place mall - see Google Street view))

Food stop: McDonald's, Bow Flyover

Finish: Victoria station car park.  Remember to stop your GPS before heading off for the sake of the strava art community.

ROUTE

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45474085

T.L.D.R.

An urban audax to see London as you've never seen it (unless you joined a prior year), as an introduction to endurance riding, or practise your first overnight ride in the warm embrace of this great city.  There are plenty of places open to stop and eat, or mingle with the locals (see the route map).

OUTBREAK

In mid-March 2020 we heard that Barclays was sending their employees home - this must be serious.  28 lockdowns later, Bojo would announce “we are past the peak”.  This ride seeks to replicate what it was like for us exercise-inclined during those unprecedented times.  A bit weird... empty streets... circuitous.  Staying local was a legal requirement.  Non-essential travel was shamed.

Accepting the guilt that if I rode outside the M25 I could be “hit by a car and take an ambulance from someone who needed it”, I set about creating and sourcing local London routes.  If I were hit by a car locally, at least I could crawl to a nearby hospital, or maybe the driver would take me there if they were nice.  The London Fixed Beers missions were a particular highlight for me—giving riders a curated tour of London’s inner boroughs, while taking advantage of the empty streets (but for the ominous queues starting to form outside shops).

I rode the first version of this bored strava art project in April 2020, and one year later extended the route with the needle in commemoration of the vaccine arriving.  Ironically, as I rode down the Mall while tracing “the needle”, I rode straight through an anti-vaccine protest.  I've continued to ride it every year since.  Let's just say it's got sentimental value.

Touring London’s empty boroughs turned out to be quite nice.  But daylight scenes, reminiscent of Danny Boyle’s apocalypse flick 28 Days Later, are unlikely to repeat themselves, and I don’t want to lose half a lung riding 100 miles through London traffic.  So the tradition continues at night.

ENTRY FEE

There is no entry fee, but I encourage a £10 donation to the Lewisham Bank of Things.  You might think of LBT as a Food Bank, but instead of food, they provide everyday necessities to young people.  When I think of lockdown I think of how hard it was on some or most people.  I was extremely lucky.

Upon donation, please sign up to the ride using this form :)

FINISH

This ride is not validated by any organisation.  I won’t be publishing a list of finishers anywhere but I will record you as having completed it for my own records.  Don't forget to meet for breakfast at Gianni's afterwards to chat about bikes and stuff.

RIDE REPORTS

Arrivee issue 156 Summer 2022 - by Pete Davis
YACF 2023 ride reports - various

AUDAX UK

I normally register the ride as a DIYSE Group Perm, and will endeavour to do the same again this year.  Details on how to register your DIY with Audax UK will be shared prior to the ride.

Hope to see you out there on hopefully not too chilly of a March night (if January is anything to go by, it will be balmy).  Please share with anyone who might be interested - it's for a good cause and good craic!

SPONSOR NEWS!

I am very grateful to Andrew at ORB.bike (@orb.bike) for contributing one of their newly released Orb MKII illuminating water bottles to raffle off among those riders who successfully complete the ride.  When I saw this bottle hit the market, the message hit home to me - what better way to add additional visibility to yourself when night-riding or commuting home after work.  I've never hesitated less before hitting purchase on a piece of bike kit.  I'm really happy to have met Andrew recently riding the TCR and was overjoyed that he thought London Lockdown the ideal ride for what I think is a work of art (I'll be rocking mine on Friday).  Please email me a link to your completed ride (e.g. Strava profile) from the event and you will be entered into the raffle.  When Andrew's not super busy race directing the Transcontinental, him and his pals design cool bike tech like the MKII and these Droid anti-theft lights - please check them out (not to mention his wheel business Zolla wheels too (@zolla.cc) and of course Lost Dot (@thetranscontinental).

2ND SPONSOR! Mistral Games

It was a pleasure to open an email from David S last night, not only signing up for London Lockdown tomorrow, but also contributing a 2nd raffle prize. David and Mistral Games have designed Race to Ventoux, a board game about just that! But less perspiring hopefully. Thank you, David, for creating what looks like a beautifully crafted board game and contributing a copy to the raffle!

David has a few copies for sale - reach out to him on Instagram

TOILET NEWS!

Andrew D has kindly brought to my attention a paid-24 hour toilet (50p? so bring change) at the southside Greenwich Foot tunnel (google street view), opposite the Cutty Sark ship (km 74.3). I’ve added a POI and turn-by-turn reminder to the route files.

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: London Lockdown - Group DIY Perm - Fri 22.03.2024 - 10pm start
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2024, 11:27:58 am »
Heartily recommended, lots of fun. I'm normally the one everyone's having to wait for but sadly I won't be able to ride this year.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2024, 01:00:58 pm »
Interested  :thumbsup: Are vaccinated riders allowed?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2024, 10:40:31 pm »
Looks great, sadly I think I am away for that weekend but if I do the route some other night will send thanks and let you know!

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2024, 09:21:41 am »
I know it warped our sense of time.... but surely 4th Anniversary?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2024, 11:30:26 am »
indeed, 5th ride (perhaps) but 4th anniversary

had a lot of fun on this ride last year, only nearly ended up in the canal.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2024, 04:23:43 pm »
That looks interesting. <Starts juggling diary commitments>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2024, 08:47:10 pm »
I would really like to do this, slight issue is it goes past my house around the half way mark (being an East Londoner). However I really would be "team slow" and I might wimp out if it was very cold and/or wet.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2024, 10:19:10 pm »
I would really like to do this, slight issue is it goes past my house around the half way mark (being an East Londoner). However I really would be "team slow" and I might wimp out if it was very cold and/or wet.

It does look good and passes ludicrously close to me as well. I haven't ridden for more than a year so maybe this would be a good incentive to get me back in the saddle again.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2024, 10:33:40 pm »
Am pondering the first day as it handily takes me back home again  :D
However getting to Witham for 8am, I think will require coming down the night before, as trains mostly seem to require going in and out of London. Hmmm.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 01 February, 2024, 11:06:02 pm »
However getting to Witham for 8am, I think will require coming down the night before, as trains mostly seem to require going in and out of London. Hmmm.
I suspect you're replying to the wrong thread...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

markldn

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2024, 01:35:05 am »

Fixed

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #12 on: 02 February, 2024, 07:54:50 am »
I suspect you're replying to the wrong thread...

You're correct!

markldn

« Reply #13 on: 11 February, 2024, 09:35:47 am »
Sunday bump to get your registration done. No other audax on the following day so no excuses.

We’ve got a good first bunch signed up. I’m thinking we can at least double the starting line this year.

markldn

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2024, 06:09:55 pm »
Early March update.

"While wars are endlessly memorialised in the West, the non-narrative and morally complex nature of a pandemic mean it is rare to come across a memorial to its victims, much less a monument recalling the heroism of health workers."
-Mark Honigsbaum, Why Don't We Remember Pandemics

If you haven't yet, please sign up.  We have 17 riders registered (+5 on last year) and I hope we can add to this in the coming weeks. That's £170 raised so far for the Lewisham Bank of Things!

Based on the results of the signup surveys, a majority wish to ride as a group with the remainder at their own pace, so we'll let solo riders out of the pen first with the social group starting 5 minutes after 10pm. 

There are some interesting responses to the estimated completion time question.  I am really looking forward to seeing the 4-5 hour attempts!  40km/hr through the streets of London would be quite something.  For those riding in the social group, expect 10-11 hours. 

My dedicated partner will once again be running the "secret" midnight/1am AEROPRESS coffee stop (unfortunately, only those riding with me in the social group will get this treat).

We also have a special SURPRISE sponsor to be announced.  Details to come but all finishers will be entered in a raffle for the item - which is an amazing piece of kit for the dedicated nightrider (and commuter).

I will route-check the weekend prior, and circulate the finalised GPX track the week of.

Now go sign yourself up + your friends. 

markldn

« Reply #15 on: 19 March, 2024, 12:48:49 pm »
SPONSOR NEWS!

I am very grateful to Andrew at ORB.bike (@orb.bike) for contributing one of their newly released Orb MKII illuminating water bottles to raffle off among those riders who successfully complete the ride.  When I saw this bottle hit the market, the message hit home to me - what better way to add additional visibility to yourself when night-riding or commuting home after work.  I've never hesitated less before hitting purchase on a piece of bike kit.  I'm really happy to have met Andrew recently riding the TCR and was overjoyed that he thought London Lockdown the ideal ride for what I think is a work of art (I'll be rocking mine on Friday).  Please email me a link to your completed ride (e.g. Strava profile) from the event and you will be entered into the raffle.  When Andrew's not super busy race directing the Transcontinental, him and his pals design cool bike tech like the MKII and these Droid anti-theft lights - please check them out (not to mention his wheel business Zolla wheels too (@zolla.cc) and of course Lost Dot (@thetranscontinental).

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #16 on: 20 March, 2024, 10:39:21 am »
SPONSOR NEWS!

I am very grateful to Andrew at ORB.bike (@orb.bike) for contributing one of their newly released Orb MKII illuminating water bottles

for those with no access to glowing radioactive waste to put in their bottles

Eddington  127miles, 170km

markldn

« Reply #17 on: 21 March, 2024, 03:10:18 pm »
2ND SPONSOR! Mistral Games

It was a pleasure to open an email from David S last night, not only signing up for London Lockdown tomorrow, but also contributing a 2nd raffle prize. David and Mistral Games have designed Race to Ventoux, a board game about just that! But less perspiring hopefully. Thank you, David, for creating what looks like a beautifully crafted board game and contributing a copy to the raffle!

David has a few copies for sale - reach out to him on Instagram

markldn

« Reply #18 on: 21 March, 2024, 03:10:32 pm »
TOILET NEWS!

Andrew D has kindly brought to my attention a paid-24 hour toilet (50p? so bring change) at the southside Greenwich Foot tunnel (google street view), opposite the Cutty Sark ship (km 74.3). I’ve added a POI and turn-by-turn reminder to the route files.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 22 March, 2024, 08:27:39 am »
Is there a Mistral Games contact method for non-Insta folk?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

markldn

« Reply #20 on: 22 March, 2024, 12:47:06 pm »
Is there a Mistral Games contact method for non-Insta folk?

I've DM'd you David's email address.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 22 March, 2024, 01:15:38 pm »
Thank you
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22 on: 22 March, 2024, 02:52:57 pm »
I can't do it this time round. Have a good ride everyone.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #23 on: 22 March, 2024, 09:52:35 pm »
The foot tunnel had two working lifts this afternoon, so you might be able to avoid carrying your bikes.

« Reply #24 on: 23 March, 2024, 06:37:16 pm »
Thanks Mark for organising, great turnout. Also, thanks for leading and sorry I could not make breakfast this morning. Thanks to everyone else I road with for the company