Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 410670 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #3125 on: 29 October, 2023, 07:14:36 pm »
Effing YouTube!
First you pester me about blocking ads on it, despite the only function of the ads being to make damn sure I never buy anything that interrupts my viewing, then today you tell me that I really, really must unblock ads for Youtube or I'll be completely blocked from watching it.  So I go to Opera's manage exceptions thing, add Youtube, Opera says its OK, but YouTube still insists I'm using an ad blocker.  Yes, I'm using one, but Youtube is permitted, you bunch of thick marmoset felchers!  Yes, I've closed and restarted Opera, and I've rebooted the PC, but no, I can't use Youtube...  Bastards!

Now what are my chances of actually getting in contact and informing them of their marmoset felching tendencies?
Wombat

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3126 on: 29 October, 2023, 07:48:42 pm »
Effing YouTube!
First you pester me about blocking ads on it, despite the only function of the ads being to make damn sure I never buy anything that interrupts my viewing, then today you tell me that I really, really must unblock ads for Youtube or I'll be completely blocked from watching it.  So I go to Opera's manage exceptions thing, add Youtube, Opera says its OK, but YouTube still insists I'm using an ad blocker.  Yes, I'm using one, but Youtube is permitted, you bunch of thick marmoset felchers!  Yes, I've closed and restarted Opera, and I've rebooted the PC, but no, I can't use Youtube...  Bastards!

Now what are my chances of actually getting in contact and informing them of their marmoset felching tendencies?

Me too, also  :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3127 on: 29 October, 2023, 09:30:17 pm »
The Miami Herald’s webshite does that in Opera too.  Anyway:

O hai Mega-Global Chocolate Manufactury of Mountain View, USAnia!

Please to tell Chrome that there is no need to translate English Wikinaccurate articles about Peru from Spanish to English.  Because they’re already in fucking English sort it out u muppets!

Kthxbai!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3128 on: 30 October, 2023, 12:46:55 am »
OK. Youtube. You are now unwatchable. Twats  :demon:

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #3129 on: 30 October, 2023, 08:05:33 am »
I went through this last week. I use Firefox and found turning off the existing ad blocker and installing an extension called Adnauseum restored normal uninterrupted viewing.

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #3130 on: 30 October, 2023, 08:05:53 am »
OK. Youtube. You are now unwatchable. Twats  :demon:
Is this the adverts?  I reckon I was getting one every minute whilst watching a 4 minute video yesterday.  Last time I checked, they want £12 or £13 a month to go advert-free - that's considerably more than I pay for advert-free Netflix (despite their price hikes)!

« Reply #3131 on: 30 October, 2023, 08:43:38 am »
I use the FireTv things to watch youtube on the living room TV, MrsH uses FireTV for youtube when running on the treadmill, so do get the ads (which get blocked on my laptop). They are getting unbearable. There was one particularly annoying one with some company advertising "military technology" in torches and stuff that was almost 3 minutes long and we were hitting all the time - pretty much every time an ad was shown. Fine, you can skip it after a few seconds, but MrsH can't fumble with the remote when running.

I wouldn't mind paying a bit for it, but it's more than any of the premium services.

« Reply #3132 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:36:11 am »
I use Ublock Origin on Chrome on my desktop/laptop, that seems to still be working.  I'm trying (as in just about to download) Ghostery for my iPad, will see if that works (after I've updated the IOS on it first, via my phone as a hotspot).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

sam

« Reply #3133 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:57:34 am »
marmoset felching tendencies

Perhaps that'll be discussed in his next video.

What to get your marmoset for Christmas.

PS. The RSPCA would like a word with the gentleman, and it's not 'felching'.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3134 on: 30 October, 2023, 02:53:59 pm »
I went through this last week. I use Firefox and found turning off the existing ad blocker and installing an extension called Adnauseum restored normal uninterrupted viewing.

This is currently working for me now, on Opera.  We shall see, how long for. 

I can't help but think that YouTube are shooting themselves in the foot with this...

Apologies to any marmosets offended by my rant.
Wombat

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #3135 on: 30 October, 2023, 04:04:57 pm »
I use Ublock Origin on Chrome on my desktop/laptop, that seems to still be working.  I'm trying (as in just about to download) Ghostery for my iPad, will see if that works (after I've updated the IOS on it first, via my phone as a hotspot).
I've just installed it onto Firefox - haven't had an advert so far after about four videos.  Apparently if you use Ublock and have issues, the thing to do is go to settings (from menu bar button for me) - filter lists - 'Purge all caches' followed by 'Update now'.

sam

« Reply #3136 on: 31 October, 2023, 11:51:36 am »

Thankyouthankyouthankyou. Haven't even needed to turn off adblock.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3137 on: 05 November, 2023, 11:36:23 pm »

:thumbsup:

« Reply #3138 on: 06 November, 2023, 08:42:30 am »
Ghostery appears to be working on Safari on the iPad to block the ads.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3139 on: 07 November, 2023, 11:46:39 am »
Oh for pity's sake; npm, node, javascript, never ending dependencies on heaven alone knows what crappy software, network nonsense.  All I need is a cauldron, a newt and some frog limbs and I've got the set.

Another day in paradise and If I had the wherewithal l would scream.  Up 'til half eight no probs.  Since then?  Words, utterly, utterly fail me. 

How is one supposed to build *anything* when the tools are so appallingly unstable?  You know what?  DSM-11, with extra indirection, was far, far better.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #3140 on: 07 November, 2023, 12:05:50 pm »
Oh for pity's sake; npm, node, javascript, never ending dependencies on heaven alone knows what crappy software, network nonsense.  All I need is a cauldron, a newt and some frog limbs and I've got the set.
I have bookmarked this reply to read at times when I regret my decision to retire from a work life of computer programming
How is one supposed to build *anything* when the tools are so appallingly unstable?  You know what?  DSM-11, with extra indirection, was far, far better.
In retirement I have little cause to reminisce about the halcyon days of VAX-11

Chin up, Lurks
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3141 on: 07 November, 2023, 12:18:51 pm »
I actually wrote a script in PC-DCL the other day!  Amazed I can still remember how it works after ten years.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3142 on: 07 November, 2023, 12:23:32 pm »
All I need is a cauldron, a newt and some frog limbs

« Reply #3143 on: 07 November, 2023, 12:33:42 pm »
Oh for pity's sake; npm, node, javascript, never ending dependencies on heaven alone knows what crappy software, network nonsense.  All I need is a cauldron, a newt and some frog limbs bee hive, a ram's skull and some dried frog pills and I've got the set.

https://www.discworldemporium.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/products-2500.jpg ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3144 on: 07 November, 2023, 12:50:56 pm »
Speaking of cauldrons and newts, whoever came up with the syntax for lxc.idmap is due a visit to the reëducation camps.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3145 on: 07 November, 2023, 05:27:39 pm »
Quote from: Genosse Brymbo
PDPs with DSM-11; 11/23, /73 /44 & /84s then VAX-DSM on VAXEN.  EVE, TPU & EDT with a sideline in DCL scripts for repetitive stuff cos all programmers are, by definition, lazy.

Chin up, Lurks
*sob* *sniffle* *whimper*

Quote from: spesh
https://www.discworldemporium.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/products-2500.jpg
+++OUT OF CHEESE++ I could cope with. In fact I would welcome HEX as a replacement for Windows with open arms. :)

For those that care about these things.  One of today's problems turned out to be a dependency (several layers down and over which we have precisely *no* control) which had an "s" on the name where no "s" should be.  The package is one of those released on a weekly basis and it was published last night.  Weekly!?  How, when, the fuck do you have time for testing and QA!?  I think we know that answer to that one, eh kiddywinks?  And if you say "automated unit tests" perhaps you'd care to explain the shagged dependency, hmmm?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Afasoas

« Reply #3146 on: 07 November, 2023, 05:31:43 pm »
Quote from: Genosse Brymbo
PDPs with DSM-11; 11/23, /73 /44 & /84s then VAX-DSM on VAXEN.  EVE, TPU & EDT with a sideline in DCL scripts for repetitive stuff cos all programmers are, by definition, lazy.

Chin up, Lurks
*sob* *sniffle* *whimper*

Quote from: spesh
https://www.discworldemporium.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/products-2500.jpg
+++OUT OF CHEESE++ I could cope with. In fact I would welcome HEX as a replacement for Windows with open arms. :)

For those that care about these things.  One of today's problems turned out to be a dependency (several layers down and over which we have precisely *no* control) which had an "s" on the name where no "s" should be.  The package is one of those released on a weekly basis and it was published last night.  Weekly!?  How, when, the fuck do you have time for testing and QA!?  I think we know that answer to that one, eh kiddywinks?  And if you say "automated unit tests" perhaps you'd care to explain the shagged dependency, hmmm?

Their pipeline is probably broken so someone thought to just push it out anyway?

Afasoas

« Reply #3147 on: 07 November, 2023, 05:32:57 pm »
I've got the mother and father of all migrations on my hands and I have a feeling it is not going to end well.
This might finish me. If it doesn't, I think I might call it a day afterwards and start hunting out another job. Or a new line of work.

« Reply #3148 on: 10 November, 2023, 12:16:19 pm »
I've got the mother and father of all migrations on my hands and I have a feeling it is not going to end well.
This might finish me. If it doesn't, I think I might call it a day afterwards and start hunting out another job. Or a new line of work.

I feel your pain. I'm about 10% in to a migration to SDWAN for hundreds of government sites. Been some corker problems. Luckily most have been resolved now.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3149 on: 10 November, 2023, 03:34:31 pm »
Yes, my printer is online.

Yes, it is connected to the same network as my computer.

SO WHY THE FUCK IS WINDOWS REFUSING TO ACKNOWLEDGE ITS EXISTENCE? ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."