Author Topic: Buying a Brooks saddle  (Read 26056 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Buying a Brooks saddle
« on: 29 January, 2009, 01:33:47 pm »
I’m thinking of getting a Brooks saddle after all I have read about them on here – I’m happy with the saddle on my ‘best’ bike but have never been happy with the one I use on my commuting/touring bike so would like to replace it.

I have a couple of questions:

1.  I’m thinking of a B17 and really like the look of the special versions, particularly the green one.  Will the copper rails on the special be strong enough for a (currently) overweight bloke or should I consider a normal B17?

2.  Approximately how much mileage will it take to get the saddle ‘right’?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Buying a Brooks saddle
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:36:22 pm »
I’m thinking of getting a Brooks saddle after all I have read about them on here – I’m happy with the saddle on my ‘best’ bike but have never been happy with the one I use on my commuting/touring bike so would like to replace it.

I have a couple of questions:

1.  I’m thinking of a B17 and really like the look of the special versions, particularly the green one.  Will the copper rails on the special be strong enough for a (currently) overweight bloke or should I consider a normal B17?

1. it's copper rivets not rails. 
2. it depends.  The saddles are made of leather of varying thickness and pliability.  My first B17 took 50 miles.  The Swift took 500 miles.  The second B17 took 200 miles.

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:38:11 pm »
I've got a Swift Titanium up in the small ads section if you're interested.  Might be too narrow for you if you ride in a fairly upright position though. 

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:38:33 pm »
If I remember correctly about 250 miles.

I commuted, raced and toured on the same saddle for many years.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:38:39 pm »

In my experience, a thousand miles wasn't enough, so it got ditched.

If you're thinking of buying a Brooks, I'd advise: Think again; think better. ;D
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:41:32 pm »
I've used a Swallow and a Swift without any problems, and IIRC WW isn't any bigger than me (in width),  A Swallow is about the same width as a Swift

Breaking in: it varies.  My Team Pro "presoftened" took thousands of miles.  I have an old B17 of Oncemore's that is similarly recalcitrant.  But my Swallow was perfect from the first metre, and in fact after a couple of long seasons of audax may even be over-cooked.

One thing is for sure: when it is broken in, it'll be lovely :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:48:17 pm »
The current version of the B17 Special has copper rails.  Whether that's solid copper or just copper plated, I don't know.

Some saddles, including Selle Italia Brooklands, have copper plated steel rails, with the copper plating just to make it look posh.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »
Copper plated, so no strength difference.  I've never tried a B17, but a Swift never suited me.  A Team Professional is just right.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:49:44 pm »
2. Over 500 miles before I could do a full day (50 miles typically) without discomfort but after over 1000 miles it is still improving.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:50:01 pm »
One thing is for sure: when it is broken in, it'll be lovely :)

ATTENTION:  Opinion only.  YMMV etc etc etc ;)
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #10 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »
I've got a Swift Titanium up in the small ads section if you're interested.  Might be too narrow for you if you ride in a fairly upright position though. 

I do ride more upright than most  (weird arm length/torso/leg length issue) which is why I was thinking of the B17 – my choice is based on guesswork though, not from concrete knowledge.

One other thing confuses me – Green B17* going for £56 in the CTC shop - £111 from Brooks!

*I can’t help thinking of the USAAF every time I type that.

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:00:48 pm »
Mine have both been comfy from the box (but they have got comfier).

I have 2 B17 Champion Specials (Cooper plated, big rivets).  

The only niggle from new is that they are very shiny and you tend to slide around for the first few days.

It's 'given' a bit since this photo was taken.

There's plenty of things to worry about on 200, 300, 400 and 600 kilometre rides but a bitch  Brooks ain't one

« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:12:34 pm »
<waves>
"Overweight" B17 Special owner
</waves>

No problems experienced with my copper B17 on my sporty hybrid.

Although, if you sit very upright, you may want to consider a sprung B66 or B67 instead. I have one on my winter commuter and it takes the bumps out of the rough towpaths I use on my winter route to work.

« Reply #13 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:44:26 pm »
B17 narrow. I can't remember how long it took me to get used to it, but it wasn't long. Currently on its second bike - and the bike is 16 years old.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

alan

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:47:33 pm »
I have 2xB17's & a Swallow,all of which have been comfortable straight out of the box.

« Reply #15 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:52:32 pm »
I obviously have a Brooks shaped arse.

B17 Champion Special (Ti railed) was comfy out of the box. Second ride was my first ever Audax (200km).

Swallow was even comfier out of the box. Third ride was a 300km Audax.

The Swallow was in a 25% off sale at Bike+ a couple of years ago so I got it for only £120 (including spanner, cover, buffing cloth and tin of Proofide). :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:53:39 pm »
If this is your commuter bike and it stays outside in the rain while you toil to pay for it, then a leather saddle may not be the best choice.
A bit like you they don't mind a bit of rain now and again but do go a bit saggy if they are left out in the rain and stay wet for a long time. There are waterproofing oils you can use (which will make a mess of your trousers for a while) but they don't do well when they're soaked for extended periods and go irreversibly soft and deformed.
On the other pedal, if you have a nice bike shelter, this is not an issue.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:59:24 pm »
My commuter bike lives outside during the day, it has my oldest B17 on it.

I keep a carrier bag under the saddle with a re-usable cable tie. Get to work, put bag over saddle slip cable tie through handles to stop it blowing off.

That's sufficient to keep it nice and dry.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #18 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:59:48 pm »
A good point but luckily (very luckily), I have parking facilities at work that are mostly dry and mostly secure (otherwise I would be uncomfortable leaving it locked up outside work for both reasons)

Tiger

« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:01:18 pm »
You will need to condition the saddle area carefully by riding on the seatpost for a few thousand miles - after which you will find the brooks is extraordinarily comfortable.

« Reply #20 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:10:46 pm »
A good point but luckily (very luckily), I have parking facilities at work that are mostly dry and mostly secure (otherwise I would be uncomfortable leaving it locked up outside work for both reasons)

My Swallow is on my commuter as it's also my Audax bike.

As Zipperhead says, leaving it outside in the rain isn't a problem as you can just put a bag on it, but I'd be unwilling to leave mine outside in case the saddle got nicked.

Luckily I have secure dry storage at home and at work. Brooks saddles really don't mind getting the twice daily soaking from a commute. It also gets a soaking for a couple of hours on a Tuesday night if I play football as I keep forgetting to put a plastic bag in my football kit bag. I've used mine for over a year now and only in the middle of summer did it need another lashing of proofide as it was getting a bit dry.

I don't think there's anything magic about why Brooks saddles are so comfy, because they are hard they force you to sit on your sit bones rather than being supported by the muscles near them. Once you've toughened up the sit bone area then you're fine. Other types of gel/cushioned saddles try and cushion your sitbones and work well until the muscles tire and pain starts when the non-toughened up bits come into hard contact with the saddle.

For what it's worth, after years of Brooks riding, I can now do 100km+ rides on a saddle that used to be a complete ass-hatchet so there might be some truth in the old saying that you don't break in a Brooks, the Brooks breaks you in.

If you're used to spending hours in the saddle then it shouldn't be too much of a shock.

Of course, some people just don't get along with them, probably because they are just the wrong shape for this type of saddle. Also, the sizes vary quite a bit. The swallow is considerably narrower than the B17 Wide so you may want to try a few.

The Mechanic

« Reply #21 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:15:42 pm »
I couldn't get along with my B17 special so I sold it to Polar Bear of this forum and bought a Team Pro.  Much better for me. :thumbsup:

« Reply #22 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:21:28 pm »
I only need one saddle for long distance rides so I sold my B17 Champ Special to Sgt Pluck.

I just move the Swallow between the fixed and geared Audax bikes depending on the ride I'm doing (the last time I used it on the geared bike was in June 2008 so that's hardly a chore).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:29:34 pm »
Approximately how much mileage will it take to get the saddle ‘right’?

The answer is "yes".  I've got three B17s.  The one which has recently moved from the old fixer to the trike was comfirtable from the off.  That on Depravo needed about 500 miles.  And that on the towpath bike has either not been used enough yet, or else is never going to be comfortable no matter how far I ride on it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #24 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:55:19 pm »
There are other threads somewhere on YACF about the pros and cons of Brooks saddles. I tried one years ago (a Team Professional) but it was excruciating. I also tried a Swift - the same. I then rode for years on a series of gel-on-a-shell saddles trying to find something I could bear to sit on for more than 200k. Faced with PBP in '07 and desperate, and having witnessed so many being used by practiced Audaxers, I got the Team Pro out, abused it severely with Neats Foot oil (see later) and broke its will. It carried me successfully through my SR and PBP without any pain or discomfort at all. I've since added Team Pros or B17 to my other steeds and all are pretty comfortable. The Swift remains unbowed and unrideable; it is VERY different in shape though to the TeamPro/B17, having a high central ridge compared with the flat and wide TeamPro/B17.

I would say: go for it. If you can measure your sit-bones width (sit on a firm pad such as one of those knee protector pads or similar, then measure between the indents) you can make an educated guess as to whether to go for the Team Pro, B17 etc. If you try one and really can't get to grips with it, there's a strong second hand market, so you're not risking all the cost.

Neat's Foot Oil - is NOT recommended by Brooks - it separates the leather fibres, thereby reducing the life of the saddle. From my perspective, that's exactly what I needed - a means of breaking it in fast. It was on the shelf and useless to me before the NF oil; I'd trying soaking it in water to soften it - useless - it spent half the night in a bucket and came out still ringing like a bell. Only the Neats Foot touched it. I've since "broken in" a ti railed B17 without resorting to the NF though, so maybe my posterior has indeed become "Brooks'd"