Author Topic: Building a BBQ on a bike trailer  (Read 35773 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Building a BBQ on a bike trailer
« on: 08 May, 2008, 12:52:52 am »
Well ladies and gents, it's getting close to that time of the year when hundreds of crazy mofo's decide to cycle 120 miles overnight to a cold and wet beach in Dunwich. So to liven up the mood and be crowned the sillyest person ever, I is building a BBQ onto a bike trailer and towing it init.

Now, first off, the spit roast idea was sublime but sadly the weight involved in a whole pig would mean I probably wouldn't make it to Dunwich and well a BBQ is so much nicer and we can have a veggie and meat sides.

I'm imaging me taking the BBQ and some charcoal and everyone else helping out by taking some charcoal and whatever they want, sound fair?

So how do I build this bastard then?

I have a CarryFreedom Large Y trailer, the bed on which max load area is 64cm X 90cm.

Share ideas people... obviously weight is a major factor!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Building a BBQ on a bike trailer
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 02:14:05 am »
Surely if it's on a sturdy set of legs with air cooling it as I ride the bottom of the legs shouldn't get too hot? And considering the past few Dun Runs weather might be trying to keep me cool lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:07:21 am »
The biggest problem I see is this: it's going to take you so long to reach Dunwich with a trailer that everyone will have already eaten by the time you arrive.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:26:32 am »
The biggest problem I see is this: it's going to take you so long to reach Dunwich with a trailer that everyone will have already eaten by the time you arrive.

I think he's thought of that, and will be eating as the ride progresses!

...with air cooling it as I ride...

Can I just say, you're mad Sam.  I'll just be glad to complete the ride with a small pannier on my bike!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:28:54 am »
Sam - it's a laudable aim but I strongly suggest that you reconsider.  I've not towed a trailer more than about 50 miles in a day but I know how tough it can be.  If you're serious about this, you need get to grips with just how much harder this would make the ride for you.

Why not just ride the Dun Run this year?  Think about daftness once you've got the measure of the beast?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:34:05 am »
Surely if it's on a sturdy set of legs with air cooling it as I ride the bottom of the legs shouldn't get too hot? And considering the past few Dun Runs weather might be trying to keep me cool lol

Radiating heat?!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:48:48 am »
I saw a bucker barbecue in John Lewis the other day.
It looked dead simple to me - just get a galvanized metal bucket. Drill some holes in the sides to let air in. The grill was a metal grid which fitted into the top of the bucket.

Someone has thrown away a barbecue in our bin store. Its a bit manky though - but I could salvage some parts from it if you want.

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:03:34 am »
Not as impressive as the whole hog turning on a spit that you are thinking of, but heres a couple of bucket barbecues:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230451016/Product.aspx

http://www.gardenandleisure.com/products/tcl7512.html

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:17:54 am »
I carried around 8-10kg of stuff/gear/water + trailer of 8kgs for 3 days in a row over 45-55miles a day (sunny and a side/tail wind). It was very easy and the hills are around the same as on the DunRun. But I wouldn't carry more and wouldn't ride for longer in a day, as I could feel it at the end of the day.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:32:44 am »
Half an oildrum and some shopping trolley grate welded onto angle iron legs.   :thumbsup:

I need someone as slow as me. :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:34:45 pm »
Half an oildrum and some shopping trolley grate welded onto angle iron legs.   :thumbsup:

Keep the shopping trolley castors.  Cornering could be interesting.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2008, 04:58:14 pm »
I've towed Beatrix for 50 miles before, that was very very hard work but a BBQ shouldn't weigh no where near half as much as her, especially if everyone chips in and carry a handful or two of charcoal and what they want eat?

And yes the plan is to cook en route lol

Not worried about times and when I'll get to Dunwich, it's more the sillyness and a memory to last a life time.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:12:56 pm »

Sounds like a good'un, where do we get clean/safe oil drum from?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:20:20 pm »
I love the idea. 

Weight will be an issue but maybe you could arrange for a meeting some point about half way, stop for a barbie, then leave the trailer somewhere secure to be swept up later?   

Maybe you need a tandem crew to tow it?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:32:14 pm »
How much does a gas canister weigh?

Another idea though is shopping trolley, rip off the wheels and the child seat and bolt it to the trailer, stick a half oil drum in it which fits exactly.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:35:59 pm »
If the issue is the hard work involved in getting through the ride what about a relay, swopping bikes with unsuspecting victims willing volunteers every 20 miles or so?

The whole idea is so mad it's brilliant.  ;D 8)
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:40:30 pm »
Maybe you need a tandem crew to tow it?

Let's not go there, shall we?

:D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:48:23 pm »
I wouldn't take a trailer - I'd buy a cheap butchers' bike and weld a barbecue on the front where the basket goes. 

*looks on ebay*

*ponders*

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 08 May, 2008, 06:17:25 pm »
Wos wrong with a trailer?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #19 on: 08 May, 2008, 06:23:57 pm »
Trailer.  Tandem.  Crew rotation.  Sounds like a plan is coming together  :P

« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2008, 06:34:37 pm »
Wos wrong with a trailer?

You can't flip burgers as you ride like you could with my setup :P

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:09:30 pm »
Well I could take Bender with a bag of charcoal plus a big lump of pasta salad and some drinks. Bender would only get lighter the further we go :)

The only problem I can see is to get back to London again. As if I pull that up there I know I will not be able to do the extra 20-40miles to a train station or all the way back to London.

Is there a way to get a wan/bus up there the night before and then drive it back. (I know of the Southwark bus option)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #22 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:28:01 pm »
We could hire a van for £30 and leave it there the day before?

Phil with your set up the smoke would be blowing in your eyes as you rode.

Support Equilibrium

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #23 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:37:10 pm »
We could hire a van for £30 and leave it there the day before?

Phil with your set up the smoke would be blowing in your eyes as you rode.

And with your setup you would be setting fire to everything flammable that you passed . . .

as long as it isn't raining, of course

:thumbsup:

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #24 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:42:49 pm »
Nah, I'm sure deep walls etc and we should be ok. Might need to make a roof tough.

Support Equilibrium