Author Topic: Audax Tyres Again  (Read 25941 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: Audax Tyres Again
« Reply #75 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:33:12 pm »
We have two threads on much the same subject, so here is what I just posted on the other one

OK here is an update on my 'mileage' (kilometreage?) on my REAR Hutchinson Sector 28 tubeless.

I have at last found the post where I described how I inadvertently ruined the previous rear...

On the Rural South 300 (27th June 15) I had a silly moment. I forgot to reconnect the long strap that tightens around the Koala bag on the seat post. Some time later I was descending a really fast hill with really smooth tarmac, touching 60 kph, and feeling totally secure, when the rear wheel locked up completely.  Oh shit, I'm doing an extended Swedish Rally sideways slide at over 50 kph, and the bike's not even slowing and it's twitchy all over the place and it's still happening and oh god I'm beginning to get scared and I don't know whether to jump or fight the slide till it stops...funny how you get scared when there is time to visualise the pain...  Any way I finally stopped and saw what had happened... The strap had wound round and round the rear axle, and in so doing it stopped the wheel... The tyre had worn right through the tread and two layers of puncture resistant material, and the damage was roughly the size of my little finger, and it looked horrible, but the air was still safe inside it, so I tried riding it expecting it to blow at any time, but it lasted another maybe 180 Kms..  Go figure...

With the exact date I was able to go on Garmin Connect and run a report on my distance etc since then, and I have done:-

8,596.2 kms

over 425 hours 36 mins 21 secs

averaging 20.1 kms including stops

and climbing 62,618 metres

THE TYRE STILL HAS A NICELY ROUNDED PROFILE, AND I'M PRETTY CHUFFED.....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #76 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:28:35 pm »
The Ultremo is pretty new - not used any yet...
I have used Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres. Very puncture proof - same tech as Marathon Plus but much lighter and seem to roll very well. They used to be called Stelvio Plus - I am still running those, not worn them out (or punctured them) yet... They come in 23 and 25.

Update...
Still running Durano Plus tyres.
Worn out 4 so far - they last about 6000 km on the back and about 12000 km on the front. 1 puncture so far due to a shard of glass working through.
I guess I will be sticking with them until (if) the new vittoria graphene tyres prove better??

Good to hear! They sound almost as durable as Marathons. I presume rather grippier and faster rolling though...

Have just ordered a pair of Durano Plus tyres in 25mm. Will let you know how I get on in due course.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #77 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:42:10 pm »
I had the impression Schwalbe Ones are supposed to be slightly more sensible rather than all-out lightweight anyway?

Schwalbe's current "fast", "light" tyre is the Schwalbe One.  Next years (2016 model, available some places now) is tubeless only.  So they get around the problem of it being not the strongest tyre by making the default way to fit it as part of a system that includes sealant

2015 Schwalbe One clichers are pretty feeble, thinner than the Ultremo ZX

Although Schwalbe's Marketing Facts would have you believe that they are more puncture proof resistant.

There's puncture resistance on the main tread
There's resistance to damage to sidewalls
There's general durability

All of these are used by people to gauge "puncture resistance"

On my very small sample of Schwalbe One and Schwalbe Ultremo:

in 300 miles of Schwalbe One I got a massive sidewall puncture.  Actually in the first 100 miles, I binned the tyre when I got home
in 1700 miles of Schwalbe Ultremo (including PBP) I got a lot of highly visible damage to the sidewalls but no punctures.  First set of Ultremos were binned after 1500 miles due to this damage, I just didn't like the look of it.

Feeling them both the One is lighter/more supple/thinner than the Ultremo but not by much

Best bike currently has a Ultremo on the front and a One on the back

So puncture resistance on the centre tread is probably ok for both tyres
Sidewalls are weak on both
Durability is 1500 miles on the Ultremos, don't know on the Ones

All good info, thank you. Also, I should probably have put quotes round my Marketing Facts line above, I definitely take such claims with a pinch of salt. I couldn't quite believe the almost cellophane like feel of the Scwalbe Ones when I fitted them - although the last slick I fitted was a Gatorskin Hardshell for the road tandem, and the set before that were Marathon Ultreme Tandem for the MTB tandem. Those suckers weigh 680g each according to Schwalbe!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #78 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:27:51 pm »
The Ultremo is pretty new - not used any yet...
I have used Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres. Very puncture proof - same tech as Marathon Plus but much lighter and seem to roll very well. They used to be called Stelvio Plus - I am still running those, not worn them out (or punctured them) yet... They come in 23 and 25.

Update...
Still running Durano Plus tyres.
Worn out 4 so far - they last about 6000 km on the back and about 12000 km on the front. 1 puncture so far due to a shard of glass working through.
I guess I will be sticking with them until (if) the new vittoria graphene tyres prove better??

Good to hear! They sound almost as durable as Marathons. I presume rather grippier and faster rolling though...

Have just ordered a pair of Durano Plus tyres in 25mm. Will let you know how I get on in due course.

Not quite as durable as Marathon Plus. The 700c25 marathon pluses I use last about 9000km on the back and nigh on double that on the front.
The Duranos are lighter, a little faster and grippier.

« Reply #79 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:59:22 am »
I found standard Durano folders a bit uncomfortable. So I replaced them with GP 4 Seasons (much better) and put the Duranos on my wife's bike.  ;D

« Reply #80 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:12:40 am »
I noticed a definite improvement in comfort when I switched from Durano Plus to GP 4 Seasons on my (aluminium) winter bike. Still using D+ on the fixed, but that's steel and comfy enough anyway. No visitations so far in >2500 miles on the GP4S - which is probably tempting fate... :facepalm:

« Reply #81 on: 12 November, 2015, 10:47:21 am »
On the Continental Tyres website, it states ‘Recommended’ inflation pressure for GatorSkin 23 as 110 psi, and max 120 psi.

I run them at 85 psi and they are dead comfy.

I have 26 x 1.125” on my MTB. Recommeded 95 psi. I run at 80 psi.

I also try to ride on smooth roads.

« Reply #82 on: 17 November, 2015, 05:09:29 am »
Consider  https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx28-chinook-pass/ at 229 g. 

"They don't give these away" and I'm not sure of sources for them on the east shore of the Atlantic.

« Reply #83 on: 17 November, 2015, 04:41:06 pm »
Consider  https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx28-chinook-pass/ at 229 g. 

"They don't give these away" and I'm not sure of sources for them on the east shore of the Atlantic.

Velovitality have them, as well as other Compass and Grand Bois tyres. Not cheap though...

« Reply #84 on: 18 November, 2015, 01:06:30 am »

Velovitality have them, as well as other Compass and Grand Bois tyres. Not cheap though...

I've got a pair of the 32mm ones - forget the name - and they seem very nice. But not cheap.

« Reply #85 on: 23 November, 2015, 02:37:15 pm »
The time has come, I think, to replace one of my 28m GP4 Seasons.
I had a puncture yesterday, the 3rd on that particular tyre since it was new if my records are correct. The tyre has done 8200 miles, a significant amount of whch was on gravel tracks and trails. Initially it was a front tyre but I switched it to the rear 3000 miles ago.
There are a number of cuts and cracks on the tread and the protection belt is visible in places.

I've liked almost everything about these tyres, the only caveat being that they are quite difficult to remove from my Velocity Aleron rims. Given the life I've got out of them, I can't really complain about the high price.

Now I have to decide what to replace them with.
More 4 Seasons would be the obvious choice but I want to go tubeless and I'm going for either Schwalbe Pro-One or Schwalbe S-One.
The Pro is lighter and, according to Schwalbe, faster rolling while the S is bigger and tougher, both of which appeal.
Decisions, decisions.

Initially I'm only going to fit one since the front 4 Seasons still has lots of life left in it. I hope.

« Reply #86 on: 23 November, 2015, 03:33:00 pm »
The time has come, I think, to replace one of my 28m GP4 Seasons.
I had a puncture yesterday, the 3rd on that particular tyre since it was new if my records are correct. The tyre has done 8200 miles, a significant amount of whch was on gravel tracks and trails. Initially it was a front tyre but I switched it to the rear 3000 miles ago.
There are a number of cuts and cracks on the tread and the protection belt is visible in places.

I've liked almost everything about these tyres, the only caveat being that they are quite difficult to remove from my Velocity Aleron rims. Given the life I've got out of them, I can't really complain about the high price.

Now I have to decide what to replace them with.
More 4 Seasons would be the obvious choice but I want to go tubeless and I'm going for either Schwalbe Pro-One or Schwalbe S-One.
The Pro is lighter and, according to Schwalbe, faster rolling while the S is bigger and tougher, both of which appeal.
Decisions, decisions.

Initially I'm only going to fit one since the front 4 Seasons still has lots of life let in it. I hope.

The original 28mm Schwalbe one tubeless come out about 30 to 31mm wide on 19mm internal rims. They'll be even bigger.on the 20mm internal aileron's I expect, if that's any help. The pros may be smaller, of course. Will be interesting to hear.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #87 on: 16 December, 2015, 09:38:52 am »
We have two threads on much the same subject, so here is what I just posted on the other one

OK here is an update on my 'mileage' (kilometreage?) on my REAR Hutchinson Sector 28 tubeless.

I have at last found the post where I described how I inadvertently ruined the previous rear...

On the Rural South 300 (27th June 15) I had a silly moment. I forgot to reconnect the long strap that tightens around the Koala bag on the seat post. Some time later I was descending a really fast hill with really smooth tarmac, touching 60 kph, and feeling totally secure, when the rear wheel locked up completely.  Oh shit, I'm doing an extended Swedish Rally sideways slide at over 50 kph, and the bike's not even slowing and it's twitchy all over the place and it's still happening and oh god I'm beginning to get scared and I don't know whether to jump or fight the slide till it stops...funny how you get scared when there is time to visualise the pain...  Any way I finally stopped and saw what had happened... The strap had wound round and round the rear axle, and in so doing it stopped the wheel... The tyre had worn right through the tread and two layers of puncture resistant material, and the damage was roughly the size of my little finger, and it looked horrible, but the air was still safe inside it, so I tried riding it expecting it to blow at any time, but it lasted another maybe 180 Kms..  Go figure...

With the exact date I was able to go on Garmin Connect and run a report on my distance etc since then, and I have done:-

8,596.2 kms

Tyre now at 10,226.61 kilometres

Had no punctures/stoppages and it's still looking reasonable, and it's holding it's pressure well, and still pretty grippy, however I am thinking that I had the chance to retire early and enjoy my life, so I am wondering if I should do the same for the tyre?

Should I retire it early or keep going to the grim death ?

What do you do ??

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #88 on: 16 December, 2015, 09:42:13 am »

8,596.2 kms

Tyre now at 10,226.61 kilometres

Had no punctures/stoppages and it's still looking reasonable, and it's holding it's pressure well, and still pretty grippy, however I am thinking that I had the chance to retire early and enjoy my life, so I am wondering if I should do the same for the tyre?

Should I retire it early or keep going to the grim death ?

What do you do ??

Time to try the Schwalbe S-One I think - Bikey-Mikey Chief tester

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #89 on: 16 December, 2015, 09:56:54 am »
I read the review and it does look and sound good.  However I used to work in sales, and I remember the days when 'testers' were given supplies of the product for 'free', or even a holiday as a reward for 'unbiased' reports!!

I'm not suggesting this one is anything other than genuine though!!

I'd love to try out the Schwalbe S, but I still have a box full of sector 28s, bought for a very low price from Acycles

(if they want to send me vouchers for a holiday, I would of course reveal that to everyone!!)

Cycling heatmap