Author Topic: Schwalbe Durano Plus  (Read 35858 times)

Schwalbe Durano Plus
« on: 18 August, 2010, 08:29:55 pm »
These tyres have been mentioned in various threads but I thought it a good idea to separate them into a post of their own for quick reference.

I first bought and used these for the Easter Arrow 2010 following a recommendation from Flatus.  I have installed them back onto the Etape for commuting now that my last pair of Krylions were used up.  The Duranos have 660 miles in them from the Arrow and I am logging their durability via Bikejournal.

Who else is using them?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Schwalbe Durano Plus
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:30:58 pm »
I've tried getting hold of them (I want them for the singlespeed commuter bike) - but nowhere seems to stock them.  :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2010, 09:00:40 pm »
I am using the immediate predecessor of the Durano (the Stelvio plus) on a couple of my bikes and also my son's bike and not worn them out yet nor had a puncture. They have currently done mileages varying between 1200 and 3000km and none are yet showing signs of wear. I am happy with them...

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2010, 09:03:36 pm »
I've tried getting hold of them (I want them for the singlespeed commuter bike) - but nowhere seems to stock them.  :-\

I bought mine from Germany - bike24 IIRC. Cheaper than local suppliers at the time and delivered in about 5 days.

Otherwise, get them from SPA cycles at £29 each.

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2010, 09:33:18 pm »
I am using the immediate predecessor of the Durano (the Stelvio plus) on a couple of my bikes and also my son's bike and not worn them out yet nor had a p*nct*r*. They have currently done mileages varying between 1200 and 3000km and none are yet showing signs of wear. I am happy with them...

I've been using the s+ as my primary winter tyre for the last 3 years and they have been great. I had one p*ncture due to a steel spike, but nothing apart from that. They do cut up a bit easily, but this hasn't resulted in p*nctures for me.

A good tyre.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2010, 11:43:35 pm »
I thought that these had been superceded by the Ultremos. ::-)
Old enough to know better!

Regulator

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2010, 06:53:58 am »
I thought that these had been superceded by the Ultremos. ::-)

Not according to the Schwalbe web-site.

I bought mine from Germany - bike24 IIRC. Cheaper than local suppliers at the time and delivered in about 5 days.

Otherwise, get them from SPA cycles at £29 each.

It looks as though I'll have to use the web as no-one has them locally.  Thanks for the suggestions.  :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2010, 07:22:34 am »
They used to be called Stelvio.

They are excellent fast touring commuting tyres, although they might be billed as tough training tyres.

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2010, 11:35:10 pm »
Think they were Stelvio plus.  Might just be a change of name.  Ran a set down to the blue protection layer under the rubber no punctures very good tyres  but heavy   . Will try the Durano plus this winter   

Regulator

« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2010, 10:47:51 am »
They used to be called Stelvio.

They are excellent fast touring commuting tyres, although they might be billed as tough training tyres.

Durano S are the replacement for Stelvios.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2010, 03:26:08 pm »
I got a set of Durano's (not Durano S) cheap a while back. They were nice and grippy, but got cut up by broken glass pretty quickly. I won't be getting another set in a hurry.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2010, 04:27:49 pm »

I've had some on order from Starbike in Germany for a couple of months. OK, I don't mind waiting a bit but the tyres they're due to replace are starting to look very threadbare.

So I've just been scouring the internet for other sources and found them listed as "in stock" at mailorderbikes.com - and at a very good price. So I placed an order...

And I've just had an email from them stating: "The product you have ordered is Nationally unavailable until November 19th."   :facepalm:

I wish internet retailers wouldn't list stuff as in stock when it isn't. But at least this answers the question of when exactly they'll be available again. Not sure the current tyres will last that long though. Might need to start considering some alternative options. Disappointing.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »
Still got them on the steel audax/winter bike.  Damn impressed with them.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »
still using a stelvio plus as a front tire , it's from 2007 and have rolled around 2500km. I guess it will be good for
10000km more, if the rubber haven't disintegrated first.

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2010, 07:10:31 pm »
Grub, how do you rate them compared to the Krylions?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2010, 08:56:14 pm »
Better so far. 
However I also have them pumped up to 145 psi as I prefer a hard ride so I can feel what the bike is doing.
That might detract from the experience for a few.
I have not had any issues yet to report.

« Reply #16 on: 22 September, 2010, 07:26:11 pm »
In hindsight it is too soon to tell.  I used them for the Easter Arrow and then took them off again as I had some Krylions to wear out.
I have not had the Duranos on long enough to compare.
I am more than satisfied so far, but I need longer to comment fully in comparison.

For example - a good week of wet weather would be required.

« Reply #17 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:03:57 pm »
just noticed Cyclebasket claim to have the 23s in stock
found them to be reliable in past, as well as cheapest SS DB spokes in the UK

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:08:59 pm »
just noticed Cyclebasket claim to have the 23s in stock

Thanks for the tip-off, but lots of people claim to have them in stock...

Really good price, though. Shame they only have them in 23C or I would consider taking steps to find out if they really do have them in stock.

d.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2010, 04:09:27 pm »

My last "stelvio plus" died today, it got a nasty cut  in the sidewall. bloody drunk people throwing
bottles on the cycle paths.  >:(

citoyen

« Reply #20 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:37:35 am »
Today was the first time I've been out in properly wet, skoggy conditions on the Durano Plus tyres (finally managed to get some from Petra Cycles) and I have to say they seem well up to the job.

I was out on my BLACK bike yesterday, which is still shod with the cheapo Vittoria tyres it came with (Zaffiro IIRC) and I didn't feel at all confident of them in the conditions. The Durano Plus feel noticeably more grippy. So far, I would say they seem at least as good as the Conti GP4S. Plus I think they look better. I think I shall have to get another set.

d.

« Reply #21 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:48:54 am »
What do you think of the rolling resistance compared to the Zaffiro?

I have a Zaffiro pro slick on the back and the grip is very very good. Puncture resistance not so good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:57:38 am »
Hard to say for sure because the bike with the Zaffiros on has much lighter wheels (and is generally much lighter overall), but the Duranos do roll very well indeed - they certainly don't feel like a tyre with a thick layer of puncture protection. If I go out on the BLACK bike at the weekend, I'll put the Duranos on it to see what they're like.

d.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #23 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:59:16 am »
Been running these for a while now on the Viner. Very happy with them so far over several hundred miles of running- grippy in all weathers, 25mms run comfortably, only problem I've had so far was due to the tube and not the tyre.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #24 on: 08 November, 2010, 11:00:00 am »
the Duranos do roll very well indeed - they certainly don't feel like a tyre with a thick layer of p*nct*r* protection.
+1