Author Topic: Mudguards on Suspension Forks  (Read 26436 times)

LEE

Mudguards on Suspension Forks
« on: 29 November, 2011, 09:29:37 am »
Does anyone have a proven "Bodge" for fitting SKS mudguards to Suspension forks?

I've fitted some road tyres (26x1.75) to my MTB and want to fit mudguards. 

The fork brace is drilled so I can attach them to that but what about the fork legs?  I could do with some really fat "P Clips".

Tell me about your bodges.

Re: Mudguards on Suspension Forks
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2011, 09:41:45 am »
I'll be looking out for tips here too. I have some Manitou forks where the brace is very low over the wheel, so there's little clearance for zefals, etc.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2011, 09:42:33 am »

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2011, 09:47:59 am »
What about this made for the job, but it is a wee bit short
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26204&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

No thanks.

There are lots of MTB mudguards out there but I want SKS road mudguards (because everything else is worse).

Maybe Cable-ties would suffice if they were tightened around a piece of inner-tube.  I may buy a Cable-tie gun to get them really tight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:00:05 am »
For the P-clips you need to look at this:

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_PClip_RbbrLnd.html

I got 4 35mm ones to fit mudguards to my On-One CF forks on the Inbred.

ETA, thought I had a photo showing how I did it, but I don't.  Basically I don't have a crown drilling, so 2 P-Clips are on the crown triangulated to make a mounting point there for the top bolt.  then one P-Clip on each leg to hold the stays.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:01:21 am »
Hi Lee,

I've done exactly this, bought a couple of stainless 30mm p-clips off ebay, some stainless M5 hex nuts and bolts from the local hardware store, and the whole lot works a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-30mm-RUBBER-LINED-METAL-P-CLIPS-SILICONE-FUEL-PIPE-/260691010627

-Max

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:05:20 am »
If no suitable p-clips can be found for your particular fork legs....

Maybe Cable-ties would suffice if they were tightened around a piece of inner-tube.

I would think so.  Heatshrink tubing on the stays should give the ties some more grip as well.  I've always got cable ties very tight by pulling the end with pliers whilst pushing the head with thumb or screwdriver.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
« Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:08:44 am »
I tried cable ties initially attached to some jubilee clips, nowhere near as nice as rubber lined p-clips. Watch the paintwork if you do try them though, get some old tube or electical tape behind them.

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:14:21 am »
Thanks all.

I'll get myself some P-Clips and post the results.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:59:11 am »
LEE, just an fyi in case your forks are in fact like my Suntour suspension forks and have a threaded hole on the trailing edge of them, I found some small brackets to present the traditional angle to attach SKS mudguards to:

p.s. I found the SKS Suntour brackets here for £1.49 each plus £2 postage, bargain if you don't have your own workshop to fettle a very simple bracket  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2011, 01:41:51 pm »
I could do with some really fat "P Clips".
How about the clamps usually used to attach a rear light to the seatpost?
Usually the actual light clip is bolted on to allow angle adjustment, so you'd just take it off.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2011, 02:15:35 pm »
Really fat P-clips here:

(not the best photo, it was taken for the dynamo pr0n)

They were a factory fitted option, so no idea for a source.  SJS would be the first place to look, though.

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2011, 05:04:26 pm »
Usually the actual light clip is bolted on to allow angle adjustment, so you'd just take it off.

Interesting...I have some old Cateye ones somewhere..off to the garage to search in some olf bits&bobs boxes

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »

a simple solution from the land of fettleitious.  A length of alluminium, bent round the fork , then ends bent back on themselves, to create the crimped bit, hole drilled thro', ends shaped 'superbly' and the important ingredient,............ a short sliver of old inner tube inside the clamp to aid grip and prevent slippage. Its been like this for..... oh .. must be 6 years,  used to take them off to go mtb ing in summer, but got a full sus now so they staay on. No quick release tho'  ::-)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2011, 05:30:08 pm »
I used rubber lined 38mm P clips on mine, from the apparently defunct Stagonset.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #15 on: 29 November, 2011, 05:39:08 pm »

OK, here is my proven rear light seatpost bracket bodge as suggested by andrew_s ...

Left side.

Right side.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 29 November, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »
Can't argue with that  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17 on: 29 November, 2011, 06:40:52 pm »
I think it was that nice Rogerzilla chappy that alerted me to this rather smashing bodge.

« Reply #18 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:27:52 am »
As an alternative, if you don't like the look of P-clips or re-purposed light brackets, then you could always try Q-clips instead to add mudguard eyes a couple of inches behind the dropouts ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #19 on: 30 November, 2011, 07:10:28 am »
Never seen those. Very neat.

LEE

« Reply #20 on: 30 November, 2011, 10:58:20 am »
As an alternative, if you don't like the look of P-clips or re-purposed light brackets, then you could always try Q-clips instead to add mudguard eyes a couple of inches behind the dropouts ...

Neat but I'm thinking it may be an extra hassle when fixing a puncture to have the mudguard stays flapping about.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #21 on: 30 November, 2011, 11:03:10 am »

Neat but I'm thinking it may be an extra hassle when fixing a puncture to have the mudguard stays flapping about.

And TBH, will probably not work too well at the front due to lawyer's lips, which can be very deep and angled on suspension forks
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #22 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »
Good point about the lawyer lips.  However, it might also be possible to mount them inside the forks... 

And it depends on the forks: I have a set that I am planning to use on a set of carbon trekking forks that have mudguard eyes which work fine with the current rim brakes, but would clash with disc brakes. As and when I switch to a BB7 disc brake, the plan is to attach these Q-clips to the mudguard eyes to effectively move the mudguard eyes rearwards to a more usable position.

How much effort would it have taken to add mudguard attachment points (i.e. M5 threaded holes, hardly rocket science) to the forks at the design stage, on the inside of the forks just above the disc brake (around where everyone has attached P-clips in the photos below) ?

Minimal.  And yet few manufacturers actually do this.   ::-)   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 30 November, 2011, 02:14:46 pm »
How much effort would it have taken to add mudguard attachment points (i.e. M5 threaded holes, hardly rocket science) to the forks at the design stage, on the inside of the forks just above the disc brake (around where everyone has attached P-clips in the photos below) ?

Minimal.  And yet few manufacturers actually do this.   ::-)

I believe there's an erroneous perception that mudguards aren't sexy...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #24 on: 30 November, 2011, 02:17:16 pm »
Well, mudguards aren't sexy.  But neither is a dirty wet stripe up one's face and bottom.  Not my idea of sexy, anyway.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●