Author Topic: Rigida Chrina - BIG MISTAKE  (Read 35846 times)

Re: Rigida Chrina - BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #100 on: 03 April, 2013, 09:37:30 pm »
I've just encountered this problem as I recently wore out a hamsterskin and couldn't get the Michelin pilot replacement to be  anywhere near round! I got it on but it wouldn't seat more than about 70%! Bizarrely a vanilla Marathon went on fine and they're hardly famed for being loose fit...

« Reply #101 on: 03 April, 2013, 09:40:39 pm »
I had a SON built into a Chrina at the end of last year - the only tyre I've tried it with was a well-used Rubino Pro, which went on without any problems, thankfully.

« Reply #102 on: 03 April, 2013, 09:52:59 pm »
No doubt a trivial observation, but for the few wheelsets I've built, I used a couple of spokes, a market pen and ruler to check the stated online figures looked ok.  I then ordered the spokes based on the hub I was building to, once comfortable that I knew the dimension (not vice versa).

(just about to order a Rigida rim to rebuild a front wheel round an old SON dynamo hub, given the Open Pros on it are decidedly concave....)

Are you going to stick with the original spokes or new ones?   If new, what length please?

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #103 on: 03 April, 2013, 10:22:11 pm »
Just popped a new Conti Grand Prix 4000s on my new wheel with this rim. Aye its tight but I managed to get the first side on with fingers only. The second side was harder but not very difficult. Just used a couple of tyres levers to last bit over the rim. Simples!!
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #104 on: 03 April, 2013, 10:44:28 pm »
My problem with the Chrinas isn't so much the tight fit as the apparent uneven width, which gives uneven braking when braking hard at slower speeds. Gotta wear them rims down more :demon:

A suggestion for an easier fit, if it's not been mentioned up thread, is to dispense with the rim tape to make the well deeper. I think that some bungs to plug up the eyelet wells could be made pretty easily using a leather punch and an old foam sleeping mat, or similar.

Dave_C

« Reply #105 on: 08 April, 2013, 07:10:27 am »
Something I spotted on the Chrinas, no wear indicator. I'm used to having this on my other wheels which are Mavic Open Sport.

jaybea_auk

• Hasbeen
« Reply #106 on: 09 April, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »
Something I spotted on the Chrinas, no wear indicator. I'm used to having this on my other wheels which are Mavic Open Sport.
The Mavic OpenPro rims that I have purchased recently don't have rim wear indicators - or at least, there is no sign of one. I got a cheap Iwanson Gauge on Ebay and measure the thickness of the sidewalls when the rims are new so I can track the wear.

Dave_C

« Reply #107 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:05:12 am »
I thought of this jaybea but the rim appears to curl over at the top which means the actual thickness of the rim is more difficult to measure. Perhaps there is a better way I don't know of.

« Reply #108 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:11:07 pm »
I thought of this jaybea but the rim appears to curl over at the top which means the actual thickness of the rim is more difficult to measure. Perhaps there is a better way I don't know of.

I believe the shape of the extrusion is such that there is a channel designed to break through before the rim actually fails - acting as a wear indicator.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rigida-chrina-700c-road-rim-black-id51458.html

One of the reasons i chose Chrinas to replace open Pros after having an Open Pro fail in a ride terminating manner  :o

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #109 on: 11 April, 2013, 01:19:43 pm »

Cleverly bent bit of spoke between the sidewall and the very near vernier caliper. Wall thickness is (measurement - 2 x spoke thickness.)

See this link for a pic. You'll need to scroll down a bit.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18238
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Rigida Chrina - BIG MISTAKE EASILY OVERCOME
« Reply #110 on: 06 January, 2021, 01:51:11 am »
Hi Ive been using Chrina Ryde 700c rims for years and the first time i tried to fit a new tyre on one nearly sprained my thumb. Since then ive had numerous punctures miles from home and using gatorskins and ultrasports-very tight! To easily fit a tight tyre to a Chrina rim-or any other similar rim- you'll need a steel-not plastic-tyre lever plus a length of 3mm nylon braided cord- from diy shops everywhere at £2 or less per metre.when you are at the stage where you cannot get the beading on any further you need to:-
1) at one end of the remaining bead wind the nylon cord tight around the rim and tyre at that point so that it looks to be  pulling the bead over at that point
2) ensure there is still a little air in the tube so that it doesn't get trapped... and puncture
3) using the steel (strong enough) tyre lever from the other end ease the remaining bead over the rim lip inch by patient inch. it helps if you lift the bead up until it is just level with the rim lip with the lever at 90 degrees to the rim then with your free hand push the bead over the lip whilst wriggling the lever out from under it. repeat the process until the final bit pops over. it takes just a few minutes and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about! put the trusty cord and lever back in your toolkit until next time. Chrina Rims are great,excellent value and well-made.. still available at e.g. Spa cycles...happy touring!!