Author Topic: VR Training  (Read 33589 times)

simonp

Re: VR Training
« Reply #150 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:10:00 am »
I just cancelled my free 7 day trial of zwift.

Got TP, TR, and Strava.

« Reply #151 on: 09 January, 2017, 07:57:36 am »

Yes, I've seen the Today's Plan workouts. But I've had to call a halt to subscribing to every cycling website - they're not as cheap as they once were! Zwift, Strava, Training Peaks and Sufferfest add up to around £350 a year, which I can afford but can't really justify. I've binned RidewithGPS, TrainerRoad and Endomondo. If Zwift ever finds a way to interface with hotel gym cycling machines, Sufferfest will go (Zwift's already about to release a running mode which will work on gym treadmills).

I think I'm paying £99 a year for today's plan and £8 a month for Zwift. I dropped Training Peaks and Strava. I ended up getting TP back at a basic level for coaching. On that score, I've committed to £470 of coaching and lactate testing.

I realised last year, I enjoy the everyday routne of training as much as, or even more than I enjoy audax events. I suspect by the time I factor in travel and accommodation, I'm still paying more for events than training.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #152 on: 09 January, 2017, 05:48:07 pm »
TP and TP are directly competitive, so it's just down to which format you prefer. Zwift is addictive and fun, and definitely suits me better than wet, cold, miserable rides on scoggy or frozen roads. I run a company club on Strava, and it's as much a social thing as anything else (and I wouldn't do without it any more than I would YACF) - and it interfaces with Zwift and both TPs. Sufferfest appeals to my sense of humour and works for my peripatetic lifestyle. Oh, I forgot about Connect - which is compulsory if you use a Garmin fitness tracker. Aaargh!!

« Reply #153 on: 21 January, 2017, 05:53:58 pm »
Got zwift running. I had a problem with zwift,a PC and Tacx Neo.
It seems that the computer and turbo need resetting after using trainerroad to allow zwift to take control

Managed a 100km in 3 hours on the London Classique course. Interesting riding in the rain and lightning.

« Reply #154 on: 21 January, 2017, 07:00:49 pm »
Got zwift running. I had a problem with zwift,a PC and Tacx Neo.
It seems that the computer and turbo need resetting after using trainerroad to allow zwift to take control

Managed a 100km in 3 hours on the London Classique course. Interesting riding in the rain and lightning.

Yes - if you do the manual control of resistance via fec on the garmin, if you leave it high, zwift takes that as baseline and makes everything crazy hard.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #155 on: 07 February, 2017, 12:57:40 pm »
Glibly said, but when you are in London the countryside is a ride away, with relatively little nearby that looks much like a hill.

VR is for people who enjoy toys and don't much enjoy trainers.

Move to Lancashire - you'll also gain a bedroom and spare change for a couple of shiny new bikes.

(I'm not allowed to invite southerners to Yorkshire, it's against the code)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #156 on: 07 February, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »
(I'm not allowed to invite southerners to Yorkshire, it's against the code)

I know what you mean. I escaped from the south and sneaked unbidden into Yorkshire over 40 years ago, but I still run the risk of being told 'Tha's nobbut an offcumden'.

For all that, Yorkshire folk are pretty friendly.

« Reply #157 on: 14 March, 2017, 08:40:48 am »
Must try Zwift again, interesting how much the Trainer road UI has improved over the year since I used it last. Tried the new Sufferfest app, but it wasn't for me, I've already got enough of their vids (which they now no longer sell) and the combination with TR is better than their app.  Sufferfest have effectively stopped selling the vids now, forcing people to the app.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #158 on: 14 March, 2017, 12:47:39 pm »

For all that, Yorkshire folk are pretty friendly.

My Yorkshire friend once dropped a penny.  I'm not saying he's tight but, as he bent down to pick it up, it hit him on the back of the head.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

simonp

« Reply #159 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:45:32 pm »
New Wattbike Atom looks interesting. Works with TrainerRoad and with Zwift, apparently.

« Reply #160 on: 28 September, 2017, 11:14:06 am »
I've done 2 Trainer Road sessions and I'm enjoying it. Though I do need a way of holding my phone steady on the bars beyond balancing it on the bike computer (in an "out front" mount) and then using a toe strap to hold it in place!

simonp

« Reply #161 on: 28 September, 2017, 11:28:01 am »
244 and counting for me.

« Reply #162 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:22:23 pm »
244 and counting for me.
Chapeau. I assume it's giving you noticeable improvements?
How long is that in elapsed time? Low volume (I'm time crunched, but also too new to structure to do more) is only 3 rides a week.
Cheers
Duncan

simonp

« Reply #163 on: 28 September, 2017, 12:49:08 pm »
244 and counting for me.
Chapeau. I assume it's giving you noticeable improvements?
How long is that in elapsed time? Low volume (I'm time crunched, but also too new to structure to do more) is only 3 rides a week.
Cheers
Duncan

Goes back to May 2015. I definitely do see improvements, but I recently fitted Powertap P1 pedals to the bike (which is on a KickR) and they read much lower. So I'm now using PowerMatch, and this has reduced my FTP score somewhat. Now I want a third power meter for a casting vote.  :facepalm:

I'm on week two of the new Sweet Spot Base High Volume plan, this seems quite brutal and is probably pushing the limits of what I can handle.

« Reply #164 on: 28 September, 2017, 01:05:50 pm »
Goes back to May 2015. I definitely do see improvements, but I recently fitted Powertap P1 pedals to the bike (which is on a KickR) and they read much lower. So I'm now using PowerMatch, and this has reduced my FTP score somewhat. Now I want a third power meter for a casting vote.  :facepalm:

I'm on week two of the new Sweet Spot Base High Volume plan, this seems quite brutal and is probably pushing the limits of what I can handle.
Sounds like you need a Stages crank (and a couple of Garmins) so you can do a full-on DC Rainmaker impression! :) 240 over 2 years sounds like it's 1 ride every 3 days.  I assume if you're on high volume plans then you're taking breaks from the turbo or you'd be doing that in 1 year?
I'm just using Virtual Power and a Tacx Booster, so I have no idea about whether the power numbers I have area anywhere near accurate. I guess I could try to calibrate it by riding full throttle up a big hill and calculating back, but gradient changes make that kinda hard. It would be easier to retest on a Wattbike at the gym but that's still hassle (would have to make a special effort as I'm no longer a member). I figure I'll just try to consistently increase my Virtual Power until I can afford/justify a power meter (likely Watteam/Avio or similar).
I'm doing Sweet Spot Base low volume.

simonp

« Reply #165 on: 28 September, 2017, 01:30:20 pm »
It's erratic because I'm fitting it around rowing training, and competing at regattas. Across everything, and excluding a month off due to wisdom tooth problems, I've averaged about 8h per week between rowing, TR, and outdoor rides, for the year to date.

What I'm doing just now is when I have a rowing cardio session I tick the "outdoor ride" option in TR. The TSS is usually comparable enough.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #166 on: 28 September, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »
I definitely do see improvements, but I recently fitted Powertap P1 pedals to the bike (which is on a KickR) and they read much lower. So I'm now using PowerMatch, and this has reduced my FTP score somewhat. Now I want a third power meter for a casting vote.  :facepalm:

smart trainers read higher than "real" power meters; e.g. both neo and flux read about 7% higher than stages or wattbike. however given the right conditions, ftp test outside usually gives 5-10% higher result than indoors, due to better cooling and better inertia/road feel. so the ftp number obtained on a smart trainer is still a pretty accurate reference point for training sessions.