Author Topic: Tales from the (partial) lockdown  (Read 3188 times)

Tales from the (partial) lockdown
« on: 21 March, 2020, 05:28:23 pm »
1st day with cafes/pubs all closed (UK).

I went out for an off road ride this afternoon and it was HEAVING out on the downs. Cars abandoned in every field gateway and rarely a line of sight without clusters of walkers and many dogs (well done on the social distancing guys...). Going to have to get out early to enjoy the trails it seems.

A friend of mine went for a road ride and reports that he had a cup of water (he hopes thats all it was) thrown at him from a passing Civic TypeR, he saw the same car later on and it was full of a group of lads. Seems they are cruising round looking for cyclists to assault.

The new normal.... Great. :facepalm:

Re: Tales from the (partial) lockdown
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:30:42 pm »
Went for a walk on part of the Ridgeway, starting from The Plough at Cadsden - the pub where Cameron once left his daughter behind.

Surprisingly large number of walkers, at least as many as one would normally see on a hot summer Sunday.

On our return the pub was offering "takeaways" through a front window.

(Although the pub is now Chinese owned, the offerings were English cuisine  :demon:)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:40:01 am »
Similarly, a lot of bikes and walkers around yesterday in the Ashridge NT Estate area - far more than the usual Saturday in March, sunny or no.

I think a lot of people are wondering if we'll be in a lockdown of France/Spain/Italy dimensions soon - 'panic exercising'!

On another plus note, not a single close pass all day, just one 'must get past the cyclist' overtake inspite of the car ahead stopped at the one-way-at-a-time width restriction.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:59:40 am »
As an addendum to my OP, It turns out the same 'lads' were firing large ball bearings from a catapult too. Smashed numerous car and house windows around the area, also fired at a passing tractor smashing the windscreen and injuring the driver. Unbelievable. The cyclists got off lucky...

Several people caught the plates on CCTV, but wouldn't you know, not recognised. Hooky plates put on ahead of an afternoon of destruction. This sort of thing just fuels my misanthropy.

Meanwhile, yesterday was just the same as Saturday. I was on the road this time, but when i went up and over the Ridgeway, the carparks were rammed and there were groups of walkers as far as the eye could see in either direction.

I went out at 6am this morning, not a soul to be seen. Glorious. I have a feeling we'll be in FULL lockdown by the weekend, no-one allowed out for recreation at all.  :(

« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2020, 08:05:51 pm »
A newly built road was opened last year near us which links a development due to be 5,000 houses.

Artists impressions showed the idyllic image of a road with  shared use pathway through countryside with just one car but several cyclists and several pedestrians.

We all know that just doesn't happen.

Except tonight it was like that.

I went for a very brief spin along about a km of it and much as i'm a fan of a decent path even shared use, I decided to observed social distancing from 8 pedestrians  by using the near deserted main carriageway.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2020, 08:56:59 pm »
out at 7 am this morning, not so quick,56km, lovely morning, quiet roads. AND we are still allowed to cycle for excersise. 

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2020, 11:53:25 pm »
I am ready for my once daily solo exercise tomorrow morning.

I am aware that it is fucking cringe but I'd rather look weird from behind than look back thinking there wasn't something I might have done to keep this crucial recreational activity accessible for as long as possible.

#mindthegap
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2020, 12:14:57 am »
I am ready for my once daily solo exercise tomorrow morning.

I am aware that it is fucking cringe but I'd rather look weird from behind than look back thinking there wasn't something I might have done to keep this crucial recreational activity accessible for as long as possible.

#mindthegap

You do win the prize.

That is the best bondage outfit I've seen this year, and yes, I have been to Swindon.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2020, 10:01:07 pm »
Out this am and watched the air ambulance arrive for a road accident. Now what was that about cyclists taking resources if they get injured? Few speed limits being broken as there are less vehicles about so a clearer road to hook down

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2020, 11:33:18 pm »
The government have got it right on cycling so far I think. It's on us to hold other people we know personally accountable, who aren't doing what the rest of us are to make it stick. A bit of carrot but maybe stick needed too....

I have told my mate in the met that some tweets etc showing flash looking bike frames sawn in half held menacingly by plod might make the point very firmly (obviously using a frame that's already got a dangerous crack in it or whatever) but I don't think anything'll come of that.

To be honest it applies as much to other aspects of life as it does bikes.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #10 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:01:47 am »
Out this am and watched the air ambulance arrive for a road accident. Now what was that about cyclists taking resources if they get injured?
You haven't made it explicitly clear if it was a cyclist involved in the road accident.

« Reply #11 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:19:42 am »
Out this am and watched the air ambulance arrive for a road accident. Now what was that about cyclists taking resources if they get injured?
You haven't made it explicitly clear if it was a cyclist involved in the road accident.

I think the implication is that it is a motor vehicle accident and a dig at suggestions that cyclists taking resources if they get injured.

(And misses the point that you have to look at country-wide statistics and not individual events.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #12 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:58:18 am »
Yep, what little traffic there is seems to be driving like maniacs. I live on the edge of town and can hear every strained exhaust note and every hit of the rev-limiter.

On a positive note: One of my local clubs are running their weekly TT's on Zwift now. Something to look forward too tonight.

« Reply #13 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:05:35 am »
On a positive note: One of my local clubs are running their weekly TT's on Zwift now. Something to look forward too tonight.

My running club is holding it's usual series of annual races.

They create a specific Strava segment and then tell people to go out and run it solo. Anyone running it at the same time as someone else from the club (people who live in the same household are ok) are DQ'd  but this hasn't been required yet.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #14 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:47:23 am »
Out paddling (solo and getting to the river meant walking across my landlord's fields) last night, there was the annoying bRRkkkBBRR of two strokes. Bunch of young people tearing up and down the riverbank on small motorbikes.

Never seen anyone there on a motorbike before. Guess they would normally be in school and ride on the road if anywhere. Bored, so they are tearing up the riverbank.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #15 on: 25 March, 2020, 04:18:33 pm »
I had my daily exercise today riding for about 15 miles along the canal towpath.  Quite a few people about, on foot and on bikes, all being very punctilious about the 6 feet separation (where the width of the towpath allows).  Rather hope that they'll continue to get out there when all this is over.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2020, 06:47:18 pm »

I had a ride along the A303 yesterday... tremendously quiet!