Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 644202 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Interesting or unusual bikes you have spotted recently
« Reply #200 on: 21 September, 2009, 09:58:38 pm »
Raleigh Arena

Not so interesting or unusual, but it's ridden by an old boy I see in E&C, who may have been riding it for ever.

I also saw a very smart Eclipse gent's machine in a teal blue.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #201 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:50:41 am »
I saw a very peculiar-looking bike in Greece but unfortunately I was sitting in a restaurant and couldn't get out in time to take a photo. It was probably nearly as long as a recumbent, but it wasn't a recumbent. The pedals seemed to be set a lot forward of the saddle so the bloke seemed to be pedalling very inefficiently with his feet in front of him and his knees up towards his chin, and the top tube was so long that the distance between the saddle and the head tube was reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally long. The handlebars weren't drops, the cyclist was sitting quite upright.

I've never seen anything like it before. It was just so much longer than it should have been.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #202 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:27:57 pm »
A tricycle. Proper one, not a recumbent. Heading into town past the Gospoda (Polish pub) in Reading yesterday ca 7pm. Bloke with hi-viz top. I wasn't close enough to see more.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ed_o_brain

« Reply #203 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:45:00 pm »
I don't know what the bike was, a Kona MTB or something of the elk.
But it had a fixed gear conversion using a cog attached to the rotor mounting on the rear disk hub.

It was straing to see the exposed freehub body on the drive side of this bike. On the morning commute it took a few seconds for me to realise the chain was on the wrong side!! For a short while I was bamboozled by what was propelling this bike.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #204 on: 23 September, 2009, 09:59:52 am »
Unusual loads rather than bikes:

A couple of days ago, I saw that overtaking cars were giving a reasonable space to a cyclist they were passing.  When I got to see what was happening, I realised that it was a Fire Officer on his commute, carrying what appeared to be a large holdall-style toolbag with a solid base slung across his back.  At the bottom right hand end of this bag hung a bright yellow helmet. 

Last night, riding across Figges Marsh, I had difficulty passing a woman cyclist who had a small bookshelf slung sideways across her rack, rather wider than her bars.

This morning, I saw a rider on a disguised Spesh MTB, carrying an unusual load vertically in a rear pannier.  I've seen him a couple of times, and the load, while looking quite heavy, didn't stop him riding at a decent pace.

We stopped alongside near Kennington, so I disturbed the 'no talking' etiquette (fortunately he didn't mind) as curiosity overcame me.

It's a trombone, and he rides up to town regularly (for rehearsals? teaching? not sure).

:thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #205 on: 23 September, 2009, 10:28:41 am »
...so I disturbed the 'no talking' etiquette (fortunately he didn't mind) as curiosity overcame me.

No talking etiquette?  Never heard of that one before.  I love to chat to people at the lights, it's what makes a big part of the enjoyment of riding a bike.

OT, but did you ever hear the saying that etiquette is what is used to exclude people from your social group, whilst manners are used for including people?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #206 on: 23 September, 2009, 10:29:08 am »
p.s. that last isn't a dig at you, Clarion!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #207 on: 23 September, 2009, 10:35:08 am »
A couple of days ago, I saw that overtaking cars were giving a reasonable space to a cyclist they were passing.  When I got to see what was happening, I realised that it was a Fire Officer on his commute, carrying what appeared to be a large holdall-style toolbag with a solid base slung across his back.  At the bottom right hand end of this bag hung a bright yellow helmet
You see? They DO prevent you from being hit by cars!

It's a trombone, and he rides up to town regularly (for rehearsals? teaching? not sure).
A student friend of mine transported his tuba on his back while riding. Quite a sight.
[I don't know any other tuba players, so maybe they all cycle?]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #208 on: 23 September, 2009, 10:52:44 am »
A couple of days ago, I saw that overtaking cars were giving a reasonable space to a cyclist they were passing.  When I got to see what was happening, I realised that it was a Fire Officer on his commute, carrying what appeared to be a large holdall-style toolbag with a solid base slung across his back.  At the bottom right hand end of this bag hung a bright yellow helmet
You see? They DO prevent you from being hit by cars!

I should have mentioned it was a Fireman's helmet, not a magic hat ;D

A student friend of mine transported his tuba on his back while riding. Quite a sight.
[I don't know any other tuba players, so maybe they all cycle?]

I knew a harpist who carried hers on a trailer.  A magnificent sight! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #209 on: 23 September, 2009, 11:28:52 am »
Velovision has featured a chap calling himself Inner Tuba a couple of times...  :thumbsup:

I think I've recounted before the tale of a friend who cycled across Bradford at dusk with a garden fork cross-wise on his rack. Prongs to the right. He got given lots of room dispite the fork not exactly being hi-vis!  ;D

Some years ago I passed a bloke cycling past Newark Castle with a large, heavy, antique wheelbarrow carefully balanced on his handlebars.  ???
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #210 on: 23 September, 2009, 02:27:04 pm »
Spotted an interesting bike yesterday.  I've seen a couple of commuting bikes with drop bars & discs, and thought that was a pretty good combination.  But I think they were both hybrid conversions, or Roadrats.

The one last night was a Marin Toscana.  Checking it out on the Marin website shows a v-brake model.  But I wonder if this might be the way forward for commuters.

Historical note:  The first hybrids were such as the original Orbit Frontier, which was basically a rigid forked (there were no other types) MTB with randonneur bars.
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #211 on: 23 September, 2009, 03:05:47 pm »
Spotted an interesting bike yesterday.  I've seen a couple of commuting bikes with drop bars & discs, and thought that was a pretty good combination.  But I think they were both hybrid conversions, or Roadrats.

Occasionally I meet a guy on a Pompino with a disk brake. I think that's his only brake (apart from the drivetrain)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #212 on: 23 September, 2009, 03:27:46 pm »
I use my Peregrine as a commuter with discs and drops (but I'm going to lose the drops when I return to the UK)

« Reply #213 on: 23 September, 2009, 04:01:26 pm »

The one last night was a Marin Toscana.  Checking it out on the Marin website shows a v-brake model.  But I wonder if this might be the way forward for commuters.

Historical note:  The first hybrids were such as the original Orbit Frontier, which was basically a rigid forked (there were no other types) MTB with randonneur bars.

It's certainly the kind of thing I would be looking at for a longish urban commute. You can't beat disk brakes for low (practically zero) maintanance, reliable all-weather braking!  ;D

(Can you tell I like disk brakes?  ;) )

Unfortunately, nobody makes hydraulic ones, yet, and the only drop-bar lever compatible ones I know of are Avid BB7s. Not that that's a bad thing, given that Avids are far-and-away the best cable disks out there...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #214 on: 25 September, 2009, 09:39:45 am »
Whilst locking my bike up outside the post office yesterday I saw on the adjacent stand a mountain bike sporting several "6x4" logos on the top tube.  I started wondering what they were (brand? model? etc.) until I noticed the quad chainrings  :o (and the 24-speed logo elsewhere on the frame).

I'd quite forgotten that such things once existed.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #215 on: 28 September, 2009, 10:04:20 am »
Rather lovely Colnago Master this morning.  I'd guess early 80s before they got into the fancy airbrushing.  It was orange, with chromed stays (not dropout) and fork.  Slightly incongruous Brooks saddle, and leather bar tape, and unfortunately it was equipped only with Centaur, but it was a lovely machine nonetheless.
Getting there...

John Henry

« Reply #216 on: 28 September, 2009, 06:29:28 pm »
Whilst locking my bike up outside the post office yesterday I saw on the adjacent stand a mountain bike sporting several "6x4" logos on the top tube.  I started wondering what they were (brand? model? etc.) until I noticed the quad chainrings  :o (and the 24-speed logo elsewhere on the frame).

I'd quite forgotten that such things once existed.

One parks in the cycle shed at work. I had to do a double-take the first time I saw it. Bizarre.

Not a particularly unusual sighting, but rather a satisfying one - an immaculate BSA roadster: SA 3-speed, rod brakes, Miss Marple basket, full chain case etc. Also in the bike sheds at work.

JH

« Reply #217 on: 29 September, 2009, 10:48:45 am »
Spotted a Trikidoo yesterday and today, in Harston. The lass on it appears to be using the A10 briefly to get her kiddies to school. Plastered in hi-viz stickers. She seemed very happy when I said I liked it. Looks more stable than a Pashley. Celeb pic below.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #218 on: 29 September, 2009, 10:49:58 am »
Kewlest Skool Run 8)
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #219 on: 29 September, 2009, 03:51:25 pm »
Spotted a Trikidoo yesterday ... Celeb pic below.

For a moment, I thought you'd spotted HBC...

Nice trike, though. Bet the kids love it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #220 on: 02 October, 2009, 12:30:50 pm »
Unusual loads rather than bikes:

Another unusual load.  A young man zooming around E&C RAB with an orange bike frame shrouded in bubble wrap over his left shoulder.  Unfortunately, it took some time before the lights changed, so I didn't catch him before he turned off :(

I imagine it was a new purchase, and I hope he will be very happy with it :)
Getting there...

« Reply #221 on: 02 October, 2009, 12:38:32 pm »
Unusual bike for the school bike shed yesterday - a Moulton APB  :)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #222 on: 04 October, 2009, 12:47:48 am »
An Xtracycle rear end on a bike the model name of which I forget [now remembered - Caloi Team something], apparently sold by Aardvark Cycles. There was a cycling aardvark transfer on the head tube.

Locked up opposite John Lewis, in Broad Street, Reading. If only I'd had my camera!

Xtracycle Products & Accessories | Xtracycle, Inc.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #223 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:09:08 am »
I spotted this one today

VANMOOF bicycles - Redesign of one of the iconic backbones of Dutch culture

Looking on their site it have solar powered light.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #224 on: 08 October, 2009, 10:13:00 am »

Kona Dew Drop also has discs and drop bars, very cheap too at the moment from Wiggle.
I'm rather taken by the possibilities of hub gears, discs and a dynamo hub - a modded Alfine hubbed MTB would be a fantastic commuter.