Author Topic: Pippa's Leisurely LEJoG - The Scotland pics  (Read 4389 times)

Pippa's Leisurely LEJoG - The Scotland pics
« on: 02 September, 2010, 12:42:58 pm »
Not so much a ride report, as that has been covered elsewhere...

… but a pictorial record of my accompanying Pippa on the last four days of her LEJoG, from where I met her, a few miles south of Dalwhinnie.

It should be noted:
A) Some parts of rural Scotland are breathtakingly beautiful. If you've not tried them, I'd recommend them.
B)  Pippa’s day 16 (my day 3  ::-)), from Loch Shin to Thurso was without question the hardest 90+ miles of cycling I have encountered. Evah.
C) Midges are Teh Meh.

On with the piccies….

Having met with Pippa a few miles south of Dalwhinnie, this was the view north west along Glen Tromie as we headed for the overnight stop in Laggan.

The following morning sunny skies meant sunny smiles as we set off for Inverness.

The River Spey Valley gave good views of the Monadhliath Mountains…

… as well as conifer tunnels to ride through.

One of the many burns which contribute to the River Spey

Interesting rock features to our southeast as we passed through Kincraig. Doubtless, someone better informed will be along shortly to tell us what they are.

The old A9 runs parallel to the new one and provides miles of well surfaced, traffic free riding.

Scotland’s oldest stone bridge – the packhorse bridge at Carr-bridge – dating back to 1717.

‘Why are you calling me now? I’m cycling, dontcha know?’

With a nod of architectural interest to His Leggship – C of S edifice in Tomatin (population 183).

Bridges abound here, this one carrying the railway over the River Findhorn at Tomatin.

British Construction Award winner 2004, the Moy railway viaduct. Restored sympathetically to the original in 2003. (Look closely and you’ll spot the steel supporting an otherwise timber bridge which carries the main line to Inverness.)

Day 15 sees Pippa descending from Culbokie to the bridge over The Cromarty Firth.

More sunny smiles as we head north alongside the River Shin.

Along more traffic free roads – for me, one of the many joys of this ride.

Fearless robins at the Shin Falls Visitor Centre, where we stopped for afternoon tea.
Actually, I’m not sure they are robins – But robbin’ us of our cake is what they were trying to do.

The River Shin, a couple of km’s north of the falls.

Looking northwest from Lairg – our first view of Loch Shin.

Little did Pippa know that once she rounded this bend, it would be 13 miles of headwind along the loch.

We made it to the Overscaig Hotel just as the weather turned. And the midgies attacked.

The following day we battled with the wind for 90+ miles, at times Pippa having to hang on to her cap.

We reached Altnaharra by lunchtime, changed direction to follow Loch Naver with which the wind was less in our faces – hence the smile.

Loch Naver and the Strath Naver Valley boasts some utterly charming scenery.

Little coves and bays with beaches abound along the shoreline of the loch.

As we headed north along the Strath Naver Valley we spotted what we were sure were coastal skies (to the left of the pic) ahead. But it seemed to take forever to reach Bettyhill on the coast. (Click-pic for bigness)

Finally, Bettyhill! With the golden sands of Torrisdale Bay.

A tandem couple we’d encountered at Crask Inn, did warn us that “There’s a bit of a climb out of Bettyhill”.

They weren’t kidding!

A candidate for ‘Caption it’?

More climbing ….

… the novelty of which is clearly wearing thin….

… ‘til finally we reach the top and look out across Armadale Bay.

Sandy beaches feature frequently along these northern shores – reminiscent (for me, at least) of the west coast of Ireland.

After what was a long day, the evening sun stretched out our shadows alongside us…

… as well as  in front.

Just another fifteen minutes before we reach our B&B for that day.

Fed, watered and rested, the following day we set out early for John O’Groats.

Not far now – just another 1/4 mile.

Et Voila!

This vehicle was parked up at JoG. It overtook us on our way up The Crask the previous day. A 52 seater coach towing a 40’ trailer providing all of the occupants with sleeping accommodation.
“Hotel for the night, Sir?”
“ Nein danke. We have bought our own.”

Dunnet Head – the northernmost point of mainland Britain, viewed as we returned from JoG to Thurso.

Bananananana time for a triumphant Pippa…

….  with a little re-hydration.

The golden sands of Dunnet Bay. (Click-pic for bigness).

The return to Thurso, from where we caught our southbound train.

I conclude that trains whose tracks run adjacent to lakes, rivers or the sea are  8)!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Pippa's Leisurely LEJoG - The Scotland pics
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2010, 02:46:19 pm »
'Tis chaffinches, not robins. But otherwise lovely pics. I remember that coast road into a headwind, having ridden up from Carbisdale Castle. Many memories.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2010, 07:45:19 pm »
Thanks for posting those pics.They are fantastic. Many of them are of familiar views (although I was travelling in the opposite direction with,co-incidentally a headwind) which bring a warm glow & big grin.A sure sign that,15 months on,the rosy glow of nostalgia allows only the good memories to shine thru'.I hope you & Pippa enjoy the same experience in the future.

all these pics & the RideReports start  a stirring in the legs for an action replay in reverse

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #3 on: 02 September, 2010, 08:12:46 pm »
Lovely photos - I am familiar with at least half of your route.

You travel light!  For a couple of days I'd have two bulging panniers; for LEJOG, I think I'd have 4 panniers and the trailer...

« Reply #4 on: 02 September, 2010, 08:13:25 pm »
Stunning  :)

David Martin

« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2010, 11:11:02 pm »

You travel light!  For a couple of days I'd have two bulging panniers; for LEJOG, I think I'd have 4 panniers and the trailer...

I saw many people like that starting out. I saw very few finishing...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 02 September, 2010, 11:32:57 pm »

I started with two rear panniers & a barbag.Ditched one pannier at Carrbridge.Ditched the other pannier at Stoke & then reduced luggage to fit into a Barley with the bar bag carrying wallet,phone,camera,gilet,buff,arm warmers energy bars.

John Henry

« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2010, 12:44:17 pm »
Lovely, and brought back some fond memories.

The very far north of Scotland is glorious. The ride along Strath Naver from Altnaharra to Bettyhill (or vice versa) is the Best Thing Ever if you get good weather. I've done the E2E twice (once in both directions) and both times had a tailwind along there - fixed grin time.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2010, 11:29:36 am »
Beautiful pictures, looks like there was a lot of great ridnig done.
Chapeau !!  :thumbsup:

David Martin

« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:15:52 pm »
Lovely, and brought back some fond memories.

The very far north of Scotland is glorious. The ride along Strath Naver from Altnaharra to Bettyhill (or vice versa) is the Best Thing Ever if you get good weather. I've done the E2E twice (once in both directions) and both times had a tailwind along there - fixed grin time.

DSC00511 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

John Henry

« Reply #10 on: 06 September, 2010, 09:35:51 pm »

DSC00511 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Gorgeous.

<sobs quietly in anticipation of a wet commute to the office tomorrow morning>